Password Protected Word Document

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Mr. Roboto
      Participant

Does anyone have a suggestion on what method would be best to crack a password protected MS Word document?

rance
      Participant

I’d manually try the obvious things first; password, document, 12345, qwerty, etc.

Failing that, you’ll probably have to look at a commercial brute forcer.

BillV
      Participant

Yeah, there are several programs available specifically for MS Office applications. Just do a quick search and I’m sure you’ll come up with many options.

Mr. Roboto
      Participant

Thanks for your suggestions guys.  I was under the gun to get this document ready for adjustments ASAP.

The fix was pretty easy…after I tried 1,2,3,4,5 and qwerty…(thanks Rance), I saved the document to html.  From there, the password restrictions were lifted and I was able to copy and paste it into a new document.

shawal
      Participant

you mean  you still did not have the password, however you were able to convert it and make it unsecure? that would be a bug wouldn’t it?

Mr. Roboto
      Participant

@shawal wrote:

you mean  you still did not have the password, however you were able to convert it and make it unsecure? that would be a bug wouldn’t it?

Surely you aren’t suggesting that there are bugs in Microsoft products? 🙂

Bogwitch
      Participant

I guess Mr Roboto didn’t make it clear.
      I assume the document was password protected from modification but not from opening. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
      Alternative methods could be:
      1. Use OpenOffice Writer.
      2. Save as a different format. I would use RTF as the HTML produced by MS Word is [s:1gqi1d41]crap[/s:1gqi1d41] not very good. IIRC, saved as RTF, you will still need to remove the protection but there is no password to enter. I think that’s how it works but I don’t have MS Office with me to play with!

Mr. Roboto
      Participant

Right.  The document could be opened, but not modified.  Good suggestions Bogwitch.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2022 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?