Passed the CEHv7

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      inf3kt1d
      Participant

Not as bad as I had thought it would be. Any questions? Fire away.

impelse
      Participant

Congrats, share with us how did you study, how long, etc.

inf3kt1d
      Participant

Thanks! I had a little experience with some of the tools already from following different scenarios (Heorot.net, etc). I was able to convince the company that I work for to send me to training at Global Knowledge in June. I’m surprised that worked because I’m a systems admin and not a infosec guy. It’s amazing what you can get when you ask the right way.
      After the week-long training I did independent study with a home lab off and on for a couple of months. I read through the course material slowly one more time before scheduling.

Security is what made me interested in IT in the first place (the movie Hackers, yeah… I know…); so I’ve read about different topics here and there. I didn’t really get more serious into it until I worked under a GSE and began talking to him and his security admin.

Sorry; just realized I gave two sentences of info and a whole bunch of other stuff. Just excited I’m finally learning to crawl in this exciting new world.

Now I’m going to go and hack the gibson.

Darktaurus
      Participant

Just wanted to say congrats inf3kt1d! What’s next for you??

Darktaurus
      Participant

Also, I was just curious if the exam included more than multiple choice?  Did they add hands-on techniques now??  It says they have iLabs now so I was not sure if that meant you had to connect to virtual machines now. 

inf3kt1d
      Participant

I’m probably going to have to go the MCITP:EA route next for work reasons. After that I think I’m going to start focusing on SANS. More than likely I’ll start with 504. I may do 505 since it will be easier to sell to HR, but we’ll see.

As for the exam. I didn’t have any sims, but I did have some thorough questions. Think of things like, if I run this command with these parameters what output will it show, for both OS functions and tools like nmap, hping, etc. This is where having a lab is beneficial. During my week long course there was a lab open that we messed around with the tools on. Once I got home I recreated that lab on my computer to go a little slower on the stuff I was slower to understand. I work next to some people who use these things daily, so it helped to bounce scenarios off of them if I got stuck.

Like any good infosec person when I asked for direction they just pointed somewhere and say keep going until you see something that sticks out.

SephStorm
      Participant

Awesome review! That was a really good study program you made for yourself. And studying under a GSE has to awesome when you start going for SANS. congrats and good luck!

YuckTheFankees
      Participant

good job! Those SANS course will be awesome once you have the time and money to take them.

inf3kt1d
      Participant

Don’t be nervous. It wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Just relax. Make sure you know your ICMP types and the major NMAP switches. Don’t forget about HPING as well. No real practice tests. If you have any from version 6 just look over those as I was told they are fairly similar from some people that have taken both.

Relax and you’ll do fine. Let me know how it goes.

p0et
      Participant

Good job, man.  Now you get to update your sig!  ;D

inf3kt1d
      Participant

Good point!

jeffersonkane
      Participant

If you have any from version 6 just look over those as I was told they are fairly similar from some people that have taken both.

Anonymous
      Participant

Well done! I really need to crack out some certs 😛

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2021 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?