Passed GPEN – some comments (Sept 2010)

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • Author
      marcos_s
      Participant

I’m back from the exam, scored 137 correct answers. It was the conclusion of a great experience.
      http://www.giac.org/certified_professionals/fulllisting.php?n=marcos santiago

I really don’t know what to add, because others before me have already provided pretty much the same info. Anyway, here it goes.

Some background: I attended the SANS 560 course (in May 2010). I really liked it. The course objectives, the exercises, the instructor’s performance, everything was great. Huge amount of material, just as an example, the instructor took the time to show us topics that were not even in the book (how to use meterpreter encoders for IDS evasion just to name one).  The course was excellent, packed out with cool stuff, full of action, exercises that actually worked 100% of the time, real-life examples, etc. Recommended.

The exam:  Well worded concise questions for the most part. I really appreciate that. Some screenshots of tcpdump, I really like those questions, they made me think hard. The “open book” part of the exam? Well, for the GPEN exam at least, the candidate either knows his stuff or he will struggle and even fail, even with the open book policy, even with the SANS books. Realistically, when the question is “analyze the tcpdump output on the screen and select what tool / command would cause it”, you are not going to find the answer in the book.  The open book policy makes a difference, but only for so many questions. If it was an easy task, everybody would be scoring 99-100%.

Something I hated about the exam: You have to answer the first question in order to move on to the second question. Once answered, you cannot go back to the previous question. And you can only skip 5 questions to answer them later.

Something I REALLY hated about the exam: The counter on the right side telling you how many correct / wrong answers so far. I almost rather not know my score till the end.

One last thing – the exam is indeed harder than the practice runs

Conclusion: The course was really good. This was my first SANS course, and I can’t wait to do it again. And the exam was pretty hard, fair, and straightforward, I’d do it again as well.

Marcos Santiago
      in Toronto

ziggy_567
      Participant

Congratulations!!!

SANS courses are definitely some of the best classes I’ve attended. The instructors are top-notch! And you definitely get your money’s worth with the amount of content…

hayabusa
      Participant

Congrats on the pass, Marcos!

impelse
      Participant

Congrats

dynamik
      Participant

@marcos_s wrote:

Something I REALLY hated about the exam: The counter on the right side telling you how many correct / wrong answers so far. I almost rather not know my score till the end.

Aw, that’s one of my favorites. There is so much relief when you cross the pass threshold. Next time just ask for a post-it note and cover it up 😉

Congrats on the pass!

BillV
      Participant

Congrats!!

Have to agree with dynamik (deja vu?), I also like the counter telling you how you’re doing.

I do dislike that you can only skip a few questions and that they have to be answered half-way (I think? been a while) before you can move on to the second half.

former33t
      Participant

Congrats.

I’m with Dynamik and BillV on the counter.  On exams that don’t have it (most of them), I keep a tally of questions I “know” I got right, those that I was pretty sure on, and those that I EWAG’d so I can breathe a sigh of relief when I’ve crossed the passing threshold.  I’ve never failed a certification exam attempt, but I still find myself wondering as I take the exam.

Anyway, I’m glad you think the questions were concise and well worded.  I’ve written questions for SANS and the guidelines are very strict about what they will and will not accept.  Because of the stringent QA process, I find the questions much better than those on other exams.

Cool deal and glad you got certified.

tturner
      Participant

Grats on the pass! I, like others, also like the running tally. When I did my GAWN exam I missed 7 or 8 questions in the first batch of 20 and I was seriously sweating bullets. Realizing I needed to focus, I only missed 1 question for the next 130. My target was a 90%+ which I’ve been fairly consistent on with my GIAC exams and made it this time as well. Without that tally I’m pretty sure I would have scored much lower as I would not have been as focused.

KainVH
      Participant

Hey guys, need a little help, I am taking my GPEN Friday the 1st of October.  I have my GAWM already, but i have had strep and more, and the past few weeks no time to study and type up notes for the test.  Can anyone email me anything the typed up for studying etc…?  It would help me out a ton.  I took the class live, and Im confident I’ll be fine, but I usually like to type up notes and read them, and I will not have enough time to re read the books. if you can please email me at ucscox@yahoo.com

ziggy_567
      Participant

Have you thought of rescheduling the exam? I’ve found that I get the most out of creating my index and notes from the books. I spend most of my study time doing my index, and the re-reading of the material really helps solidify it in my mind.

Just a thought….I’d share my index for the GPEN if I had one….

tturner
      Participant

I just created a handwritten index in the white space on the front cover of each book for main topic areas. That only took me 20 or 30 minutes to knock out. Unlike some of the other course ware, Ed did a good job with the index for 560. Just knowing which book to grab was good enough for me and I finished with a 94 and plenty of time left.

sans2010
      Participant

Cong!!!

I am also preparing as self study, I need any dump to help me, how can I find any dump,

Thanks in advance!!

dante
      Participant

@sans2010 wrote:

Cong!!!

I am also preparing as self study, I need any dump to help me, how can I find any dump,

Thanks in advance!!

http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,54/topic,5993.msg31886/#msg31886

An excellent “dump” by sil 😉

sans2010
      Participant

the link doesn’t include any practice exam, i need any download valid download link,

Appreciate any help!

ziggy_567
      Participant

You will not find dumps here.

If you are interested in practice tests for SANS courses, when you sign up to challenge the exam, you will get 2 practice exams at that time. Otherwise, you can buy them individually from http://www.sans.org.

marcos_s
      Participant

@sans2010 wrote:

the link doesn’t include any practice exam, i need any download valid download link,

Appreciate any help!

I received a personal message from you, “sans2010”.
      The subject is “Need ur help!!”
      I have good news for you – YES! I can help you. Please continuing reading carefully.

You asked me for a “dump to pass the Exam”. Below is the message that you sent to me:

@sans2010 wrote:

« Sent to: marcos_s on: October 12, 2010, 04:30:59 PM »

hi,

could you please help me, I am preparing GPEN, I need a valid exam dump
      to pass the Exam, I take the course self study as i have no money except for the exam.

I was going to purchase passguide / ucertify dump file,
      here is my email: sans_2010@live.com
      kindly let me what % from dump can be found in the Exam,

I am afraid from the exam,

Appreciate ur help,

Firstly, I will NOT send you any exam questions (dump). The reasons are obvious:

I have several certifications previous to the GPEN (CISM, CISSP,Oracle Certified DBA, MCSE, and A+). If I start creating and distributing dumps I can lose my certifications. 

By today’s standards, with all the copyright notices and Non-Disclosure Agreements that come with every exam, braindumps are illegal. And are unethical. Not to say highly harmful to the people who have the certification already.

Secondly, (and these are the good news) this is the help that I can provide to you:

I will prepare (on a separate post) a list of resources for people who want to honestly learn the material via self study. I hope my following post will help others that are genuinely interested in the subject, and passing the exam truthfully.

In any case, it is clear that you do not want to learn anything, but simply are trying to find a way to cheat the exam.

Sincerely,

Marcos Santiago

jason
      Participant

Here’s a post from another forum where he’s digging for dumps:

http://www.mcse.net/other-certifications/16008-req-urgently-need-help.html

And claims to have the following:

MCSE+SEC, MCITP Enterprise administrator ( Exchange 2007 & windows server 2008 ), MCTS ( Vista, Win 7, SCCM )
      CEHv.6, ECSA v.3, CHFI v.3
      CCNA

BillV, can we check to see if he used the same email to register for the EC-Council exams? Maybe someone can come up with a name…

ziggy_567
      Participant

I will prepare (on a separate post) a list of resources for people who want to honestly learn the material via self study. I hope my following post will help others that are genuinely interested in the subject, and passing the exam truthfully.

I would find this incredibly useful! Thank you, marcos_s!!!

caissyd
      Participant

I second ziggy_567!

I did self-study for GSEC and manage to find enough material to pass the exam. As soon as I am done with OSCP, I would like to go after GPEN but without taking the course.

This would help me a lot!!!

sans2010
      Participant

@marcos_s,

you misunderstood me, I meant by dump the “practice test”, Just to check how the exam difficulty, I have passed multiple certificate after studying the material. I will not search for dump or practice test & I don’t study hard & got all the practice to pass any cert.

Any way I am very sorry that I sent you PM asking for help as it has gone to the wrong not trusted person. as you may know if I am wrong at certain idea you can reply to the PM just in advice way which you don’t know or you didn’t deal like that before.

I think you may need to differentiate between PM & New Post!!!  ???

@jason,

who bring to your mind that I can register any exams with same account for any forum, it’s the lowest little bit of security you can’t take into your consideration.

when any one say I have passed certain certificate after studying certain material, all the stuff will say congratulation & we trust that, we can’t say you are lying!!

So I think it’s not your business to say ” he is claiming that he has….” or posting any thing from other forum, you will be very shame & nervous if I say you don’t know any about security & hasn’t any certificate  :-*

@ziggy_567,

Thank you very much for much appreciate info, I am going to pass the exam after registration. I am going to purchase the practice. Within 3-4 Months I will got the certificate

impelse
      Participant

Remember communication is always a problem. If you mention the “dump” word we think in the people to cheat to pass the exam.

jason
      Participant

Pardon me for calling BS on this, but this:

could you please help me, I am preparing GPEN, I need a valid exam dump
      to pass the Exam, I take the course self study as i have no money except for the exam.

I was going to purchase passguide / ucertify dump file,
      here is my email: sans_2010@live.com
      kindly let me what % from dump can be found in the Exam,

Does not indicate to me that you were innocently looking for a practice test. Passguide is a known braindump site and you specifically asked what percentage of the dump could be found on the test. Given your posts here and on the other forum that I pointed out, I think it’s completely reasonable to call into doubt the other certifications that you may have cheated your way through. In any case, you now know, from the other posts how you can get a legitimate practice test, and that we aren’t going to help you with anything unethical. If you’d like to discuss other topics on the forum, we’d be happy to have you.

marcos_s
      Participant

@sans2010 wrote:

@marcos_s,

you misunderstood me, I meant by dump the “practice test”…

blah
      blah
      blah

Oh, it was only a “misunderstanding”.

Anyway… What makes you think that I have “practice tests” to give away? For free?

???

impelse
      Participant

Free is good, hahahahahaha

Joking ;D

sans2010
      Participant

@marcos,

As I told you, This was sent to actually the wrong person as he is not trusted to have communication with, Many guys bought materials & upload for free which is much appreciated , I didn’t have enough info regarding the exam GPEN as I was studying only & not intend to think in the exam,

Finally, It’s very nice to mark on one of the guys as a junk, like e-mails not trusted, Actually I can find much guys that are much appreciated & no need to extend our communication.      :-X

@jason,

Thank you for your clarification, I will pass the Exam after purchasing the practice, I think no need to have discussion any more, if I need any help I am sure that I will got fast reply from respected guys who have Good communication skills. 😀

ziggy_567
      Participant

Many guys bought materials & upload for free which is much appreciated

I know some people that would be very interested to know where these free materials are. Would you be so kind to mail this link to info(at)sans(dot)org or info(at)giac(dot)org?

Thanks!

KainVH
      Participant

Hey guys in I did reschedule my exam for Nov 13, day before my bday. I ordered Ed’s book for the test and for the knowledge. If anyone has the note style index they can pass on let me know. I’m not like the other guy wanting a dump. I am looking for a good index to use and help study with. But I’ll be doing the pac exams too.  No matter I’m sure I’ll pass. If I can pass Josh’s GAWM I should be ok with this.

Marcos please email me the link to this site you are creating for people who arevreally trying to learn

impelse
      Participant

That’s true, I would like to know a list of books where we can study.

SephStorm
      Participant

Amazing that SANS2010 didn’t look at the GIAC site, where it tells you you can get the tests with a challenge registration. Now I will give you that there may be a communication barrier, but The word “dump” is very well known in the IT field. I’m sure someone with your experience is very aware of its usage.

As for individuals who buy and upload them, while I have my own opinions on the issue, it is illegal, and I’m sure you would be aware of that, had you done your research. In addition, I wouldn’t call him untrustworthy, had you pm’ed anyone else, they probably would have done the same, or simply reported you to SANS.

Enough ranting, here’s some advice. Go to the GIAC site, see if they have exam objectives posted on there. Find material that can help you master those objectives, and study those until you are either ready to challenge the exam, or have the funds to purchase the study material.

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2021 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?