OSCP – Take 2

This topic contains 29 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  triznut 4 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
     zeebee 
    Participant

Hi All,

At last I prepped my mind to give OSCP another shot after I missed the first one in early 2013.
    Even though I did not get the certification, the course itself has been the best pentest training I ever had and remains so till date. Reason I could not let it go and am back to Try Harder.

For this time here is my plan:

1) I have upgraded to PWK and have started going through the Videos and PDF from 01/21.

2) Practicing the tools in a very simple Virtual lab that I have set up. I hope this will help me get used to tools, layout of tools, etc. before I get started with the labs.

3) I am creating the scripts that will help enumerate machines to make the enumeration process as comprehensive as possible (hopefully!).

4) I will be starting the lab on 02/21 (initially for a month). I hope that I will have completed the videos and pdf by that time and will have a set of scripts ready to go for the lab machines. I messed the Enumeration part las time and that is something I want to do really well this time once I start the labs.

5) 3 weeks into the labs evaluate the need to extend lab time (I think I will need that though ;D )

I will keep this forum posted on how things turn up.

Cheers!
    ZeeBee

hayabusa 
    Participant

Best of luck. Sounds like you’re going in with a game plan, based on your last go round, so you’ll be more prepared. You’d be surprised at how ‘handy’ timesaving tools are, like scripted scanning , etc, depending on the task at hand. The better you get at multi-tasking, the easier it becomes to progress through the labs, as well as the exam, as there’s simply no time to focus on one machine at a time, completely, if you reasonably expect to pass.

Again, wishing you well, and let us know how you do! 🙂

impelse 
    Participant

I have the same plan too, the first time I did not sit for the exam, I extended the lab twice. Sure the knowledge I got I used it for some pestest, now I am planning to take Feb to practice in my lab and then purchase two month and sit down the exam.

This time I want to complete it.

impelse 
    Participant

Guys

I reach again to the exploit part, beginning with the shellcode, I will need to practice this, the fist time I study two years ago with the old version I did not get it too much.

Now I will put my hands durty

zeebee 
    Participant

I am working on that part too – its taking longer than I initially planned and I am not even in the Linux world. But I think that any time spent on this segment will be worth every second later.

PenTest Jedis who have taken this training – Even though I totally understand the amazing power that Metasploit brings to the table, is it possible to not use Metasploit at all for *anything* in the labs and still do well?

Happy learning 🙂

impelse 
    Participant

The same for me, because in the previous version I had almost the same explanation I am moving very quick in the videos, when I finish I will replicate or try to replicate the same example and I will take others too.

I saw a exploit training in Udemy for $10 promotion, I think I will purchase to recheck more, some times I think to take the pentest academy training for exploit, we will see.

Also my weakest area is development so probably python for pentester will help me, now I understand that when you goo deep you feel that you still need more, more and a little more.!!!!!! ;D

impelse 
    Participant

I bought the windows exploit at Udemy for $10, I will review more exploits this week, I am completed lost and the Linux exploit was quicker than the Windows exploit.

hayabusa 
    Participant

@zeebee wrote:

PenTest Jedis who have taken this training – Even though I totally understand the amazing power that Metasploit brings to the table, is it possible to not use Metasploit at all for *anything* in the labs and still do well?

Absolutely nothing in the labs with Metasploit, and still do well? Certainly possible! The key being your comfort with other areas, like exploit modification / development. If you’re comfortable writing exploits or porting someone else’s code, you don’t need MSF at all.

My preference was to NOT use it, first, and to try to only use it on machines and vulnerabilities AFTER I figured them out for myself, or at the end, if I had a few left to try to ‘pop’ when my time was almost used up. That way you truly understand what’s going on “under the covers” (so to speak) with the exploits, and you’re not just relying on someone else’s ‘pre-canned’ stuff to accomplish the goal. You’ll learn a lot more that way.

That said, if you’re not as comfortable in the exploit realm, and you NEED to use MSF, there’s no harm in using it, so long as you understand that when exam time comes, you’ll be limited with its use. The more you can do without it, the better.

Keep pressing forward, and good luck!

impelse 
    Participant

That’s true, and the satisfaction to hack without Metasploit is good.

zeebee 
    Participant

Absolutely nothing in the labs with Metasploit, and still do well? Certainly possible! The key being your comfort with other areas, like exploit modification / development. If you’re comfortable writing exploits or porting someone else’s code, you don’t need MSF at all

Thanks for the perspective!
    While as of now I am absolutely nowhere near “comfortable” with writing/porting exploits on my own and WILL need MSF for this training/cert but I think its a worthy goal (to do it without MSF) to work towards….on it 🙂

Cheers!

SephStorm 
    Participant

I heard you guys mention Udemy courses, what all courses are you finding useful? can we get some links?

impelse 
    Participant

I bought one named windows exploitation 4 hr video, I did bit begin yet but for 10 dollars is good deal

Also another I would like to purchase is one called java and php attack and defense two training, development us NY weak area so I will take those just to get more knowledge

triznut 
    Participant

Hey Zeebee, I too am starting my 2nd attempt at preparing for the exam in the course labs on 02/21. It’s been about 3 years from my 1st attempt with course. I have kept all my old notes and try to keep up my skills in my own labs and at work. I’ll look for you in the IRC. It’s nice to have others tackling it to bounce ideas off of. I like your strategy above to get back into the groove. Hit me up anytime.

impelse 
    Participant

Welcome to the club, we keep going, in my case I was watching Privilege escalation last night, it was good.

triznut 
    Participant

@zeebee wrote:

While as of now I am absolutely nowhere near “comfortable” with writing/porting exploits on my own and WILL need MSF for this training/cert but I think its a worthy goal (to do it without MSF) to work towards….on it 🙂

Also, I would highly recommend that at the very least you get comfortable porting other peoples code right away, as I believe it’ll make a big difference, but still keep learning more for writing your own.

zeebee 
    Participant

Hey Zeebee, I too am starting my 2nd attempt at preparing for the exam in the course labs on 02/21. It’s been about 3 years from my 1st attempt with course. I have kept all my old notes and try to keep up my skills in my own labs and at work. I’ll look for you in the IRC. It’s nice to have others tackling it to bounce ideas off of. I like your strategy above to get back into the groove. Hit me up anytime.

Welcome triznut!

To me the notes from my last attempt are a stark reminder that I need to improve, a lot 🙂 🙂

For the current attempt, my first pass with the videos + reading of the PDF should complete early next week (fingers crossed)
    I am still sloppy on the BOF but trying to practice in my lab as much as possible – hopefully the labs will help hammer in the missing pieces.

Also, I would highly recommend that at the very least you get comfortable porting other peoples code right away, as I believe it’ll make a big difference, but still keep learning more for writing your own.

Cannot agree more! Trying hard 🙂

Also, I am working on the enumeration scripts….

This is going to be fun over next couple of months!!

Welcome again and Good luck!!!

triznut 
    Participant

Thanks Zeebee!

Well I did not attempt the exam my first session, but wondering if I had under estimated my successes and should of at least tried (of course I should have). I was a little burned out at that point and also was not feeling very confident. Mainly because I had not pwnd every system possible in the lab. But I have been wondering if that is really the whole point… Maybe reporting proper is just as important if not more important. I know that not every “real world” pentest is about pwning every box, but more about showing there are weaknesses and documenting how, why, and known mitigation/remediation of those weaknesses.

Good Luck to you as well. I hangout in the Offsec IRC under this handle. How about you? It would be nice to collaborate a little bit.

zeebee 
    Participant

@triznut wrote:

Good Luck to you as well. I hangout in the Offsec IRC under this handle. How about you? It would be nice to collaborate a little bit.

Thanks 🙂

I am using the same name here for the IRC; will ping you if I see you online.

Cheers!

MrAgent 
    Participant

I am doing a retake this Saturday the 21st as well.

zeebee 
    Participant

@mragent wrote:

I am doing a retake this Saturday the 21st as well.

Are you taking the exam or starting the labs again? – Anyways Good Luck for whichever it is!

On a seperate note for others reading this thread and planning for OSCP, I did find the VMs from https://www.vulnhub.com/ pretty cool when trying out some of the stuff in the training materials.

MrAgent 
    Participant

I am re-taking the exam on Saturday.

zeebee 
    Participant

@mragent wrote:

I am re-taking the exam on Saturday.

All the best!
    Let us know how it went! 🙂

Cheers!

MrAgent 
    Participant

Thanks it actually starts in 30 min from now.

JohnE 
    Participant

Your 48 hours is just about up, so how did it go?

MrAgent 
    Participant

Full compromise on 4/5 servers and limited shell on the 5th.
    Just awaiting my confirmation email saying I passed (hopefully).

pwntoken 
    Participant

@mragent wrote:

Congratulations, I am on the Lab. The 1st subnet.

zeebee 
    Participant

@mragent wrote:

Amazing! Awesome!
    Congratulations!

Do share some insights 🙂

MrAgent 
    Participant

I just received the official confirmation that I passed. I am glad that is over.
    CISSP is up next.

impelse 
    Participant

Good, this exam is hard.

triznut 
    Participant

MrAgent, nice write-up on your blog. Thanks.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2019 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?