OSCP before or after CEH

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author
      ssherei
      Participant

hello all,

i am a newbie at pentesting and ethical hacking but i am registered for the CEH clas starting on 13-6. the thing is am really interested in taking the OSCP cert too there are 2 dates that i can register for now 30-5 and 6-6 should i go for it and start the OSCP noting that i have a CEH course on 13-6 or wait till am done with CEH, i dont think i am that experienced in linux and exploit programming but i am a real persistent, & stubborn guy, also like to learn practically and dont mind having a hard time learning i think thats the best way to learn, and i like to challenge myself to the max. so please if anyone can guide me that would be great ?? 😀

hayabusa
      Participant

Personally, if you’re already scheduled for CEH, I’d recommend doing that one, first.  Doing two simultaneously is doable, for some folks, but since you’re already booked into CEH, I’d get that ground-level knowledge in place, before the OSCP, as many things in OSCP might make more sense to you, at that point, and you can spend more of the OSCP time on the things that are newer to you, etc.

My opinion, anyway…

caissyd
      Participant

With no hesitation, do CEH first and once you are done, go for OSCP.

Anything else would be wrong because CEH is broader but not as deep as OSCP.

ssherei
      Participant

thanks allot for you responses … i’ll go for CEH first then  ;D, but my real concern is that on the OSCP site the last onlinedate is 6-6 i am worried that after that there wont be online courses for a long time, what am thinking is apply for the OSCP on 6-6 with 60 days lab access get the vids and pdfs start reading and practicing what i can; meanwhile when the CEH course start i’ll get better understanding of the modules and then after the CEH. i start using the LAB access and finish the oscp, what do u thinkis it a good or bad plan ?? ;D

morpheus063
      Participant

Well if you can spend for the 2 months lab access, then it should be OK. But I would suggest finishing the CEH first and then only starting off with OSCP (practical hands on and learning process – you can register early). Otherwise the interests may clash 🙂

caissyd
      Participant

@ssherei: I am currently finishing PWB right now. They offer this course every week, so don’t worry, you will be able to register when you are done with CEH.

It takes about 3 days to register and then you are all set. Guys at Offensive Security are very, very quick to answer any question and process your order.

An again, don’t worry to get a place on the course, I think they have been offering PWB every week for the last year. And since they have just release version 3 of their course (which is excellent!!!), they won’t stop offering it mid June.

hayabusa
      Participant

Those dates will become newer, on offensive’s page, as time goes on.  They only show a current sampling of date ranges.  Don’t worry, it WILL go on, past 6/6.  If you’ve been watching their registration page for any amount of time (as I did, prior to finally having budget and signing up) you’ll notice it updates every couple of weeks, for newer scheduling.

ssherei
      Participant

thanx allot guys you’ve been a great help  ;D

dynamik
      Participant

Yea, OffSec only lets you schedule a couple of weeks out. They add a date every week 😉

I’m also with the consensus that you should do the CEH first. That’s definitely a foundation you want for the OSCP.

bamed
      Participant

Here’s a similar questions: I’ve already got OSCP, should I worry about CEH?

hayabusa
      Participant

My answer would be: “That depends…”

If you’re looking for a new position, or to go to a new company, more of the recruiters, etc, will recognize CEH (while not as much as say, CISSP,) more than they will OSCP.  The two certifications / courses also go in some different directions.  I currently have CEH, and am in process on OSCP.  CEH class went over a lot more of the ‘principles and standards’ than OSCP does, so sometimes, it’s good to have that info, however, for the purely technical side of things (actual scanning, exploits, etc,) OSCP seems to be much better.

So it depends on your reasoning.  If you truly want to be well-rounded, then it wouldn’t hurt to get CEH, for the theory and such, or if you’re looking to move to a position that requires it (or at a minimum is familiar with and respects it.)  If you are solely into the thrill of the tech and knowhow, then maybe you won’t want to get CEH at all, and you might decide to spend that extra money on another technical certification course, like the new one from eLearnSecurity, that Jason Haddix reviewed on here, recently, and I’m also previewing, for the authors.

It can be a very fuzzy call, on your part, just depending on your goals for it all.

caissyd
      Participant

And to add to what Hayabusa said, if I were you, I would buy a CEH Prep Exam book, read it and try the exam without taking the course. If I could pass CEH without taking the course, you would definitively be able to so so after having passed OSCP.

For $250 USD + a book or two, you can’t go wrong.

ssherei
      Participant

thanks allot guys am going for CEH from 13-6 to 18-6 and right after it go for OSCP

j0rDy
      Participant

all the good answers already have been given and i see you already made your choice (which i think is the best one). good luck and let us know how you did!

ssherei
      Participant

hey all,

am done with the CEH bootcamp; a little confused wether to take the oscp course then the CEH exam or prep for CEH exam take it then the oscp course i talked to the CEH instructor about it and he told me it would be a good idea to take the oscp course then the exam; i found the CEH course to be informative of concepts and tools used but not about the actual procees itself we covered 19 modules in the course and the others are self study 🙂 so what do u think guys should o go for oscp or the CEH exam first??

impelse
      Participant

some people like me thinks that “I would go for OSCP so I will put it practice what I learned in CEH and later I will have more knowledge for the CEH exam” but remember, just keep focus and finish something and later move to the next exam or training.

I have to remember this to myself, I want to finish my Windows 7 exam but at the same time I want to jump right now to CEH or eLearnsecurity training. so finish one first and later jump to the next one.

My two cents

KrisTeason
      Participant

I highly agree with impelse on this one. Considering you did the ceh bootcamp and the concepts may be freshly stuck in your head – it may be just best to take the exam. I haven’t done the CEH exam but the difference between earning the OSCP Certification over the CEH Certification from what I’ve heard is a practical hands-on performing a real live scenario pen-test versus a long exam on tools, etc.

Surely the concepts covered in penetration testing with backtrack may help out in some way when prepping for the CEH – but your better off studying for your CEH examination then starting a new training course. This is coming from someone who just did pwb v3 and recently finished.

-kris

UNIX
      Participant

I’d also take the CEH exam first and then concentrate on OSCP. Although it certainly could help if you have the in-depth hands-on experience from OSCP for some of the questions which may appear during the exam, one should be able to answer them without the OSCP. Going for CEH as an intro and then continuing with OSCP seems to me as a great combination. As already stated, concentrating on one at a time is the way to go here.

ssherei
      Participant

well thx guys for the advice but i was hasty and already scheduled for 27-6 oscp course; well about the bootcamp it was all theoretical i dunno how they say its a lab extensive course also the instructor of the CEH course said it would help me in the CEH exam and every one told me that oscp is one of the most practical course well i am kindda of a practical guy so thinking about it i feel that the practical experience would really benefit me in the CEH exam
      at the same time i can revise the theories of the CEH along side the oscp training what do u think about that ?

ssherei
      Participant

oh yeah and i still didn’t receive the official course ware only a copy of the books

ssherei
      Participant

i passed OSCP today look i am sure i wont ever have this fun and hard experience in my life the  guys from offsec are wonderful the course is amazing bottom line is it pushes your limit and the learning curve is amazing
      i am now an OSCP and damn proud of it 😀

impelse
      Participant

Congrats

hayabusa
      Participant

Congrats, ssherei!

ssherei
      Participant

ty all  ;D i was very happy to pass it just wondering about the job opportunities
      for OSCP

caissyd
      Participant

Congratulations ssherei !!!

mambru
      Participant

congrats ssherei!! well done

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2021 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?