OSCE… check!

This topic contains 30 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  dynamik 6 years, 11 months ago.

• Author
     hayabusa 
    Participant

Submitted my exam report and data last night.  Waiting for the email! ;D

Dark_Knight 
    Participant

How was the exam? Was the courseware enough(I think I know the answer but surprise me  ;D) .

dynamik 
    Participant

Oh man, way to jinx yourself by posting before waiting for the results 😮

hayabusa 
    Participant

@ajohnson – I know I got my points, so they’d better not even find a way not to pass me , this time 😛

@dark_knight
    The exam was a challenge, and to be honest, this was attempt #2.  Looking back, I SHOULD have nailed it the first time, but like all Offsec exams, you gotta guage your time, and make sure you leave time for each host (particularly if one or another gives you more trouble than you thought), and I did NOT do as good a job as I should have, with that, the first time.

As for the material, the courseware, by itself, gives you a good base, but admittedly, I had to go beyond that and improvise, on some things, along with some outside research, to pass the exam.  As always, they expect you to think outside the box, and work for it, while not making that impossible, for the given exam targets, within the time allotted.  As always, they expect you to have the ability to combine multiple topics / attack vectors, to achieve success.

Funny thing…  Sometimes when you nail a given target, you’re amazed, not only at what you knew or learned, but by how easy they really are to pWn, looking back.  (That is NOT to say any were particularly simple or ‘easy’, just that, if you’re truly ready / prepared, they really aren’t as bad as they might seem, at first.)

azmatt 
    Participant

Very cool man!

UNIX 
    Participant

Although you have no official word yet, it should be clear if you have passed or not, so congrats, hayabusa! I was pretty sure that you’d pass with your second attempt. 😉

What is next for you?

hayabusa 
    Participant

Email came a couple of hours ago.  Passed.  😉

Unsure what’s next…  (Besides a short break.)  Gotta wrap up SPSE soon (maybe next month), then undecided.  Likely some family time catch-up, before any big choices.

Suggestions?

m0wgli 
    Participant

Congratulations! Great way to end the year. 🙂

Continuing the Offensive Security track, have you considered the OSEE or the OSWE?

MrTuxracer 
    Participant

Nice xmas gift – congrats!  8)

shadowzero 
    Participant

Congrats Hayabusa!

azmatt 
    Participant

Congrats Hayabusa!!

Dranex 
    Participant

Well done mate  ;D

Darktaurus 
    Participant

Congrats Hayabusa!

hayabusa 
    Participant

Rumor has it there’s a second OSCE pass, by an EH member, this weekend (just got an excited IM)  Waiting for the announcement from them, as I don’t want to steal their Christmas joy!

cd1zz 
    Participant

Nice work!!

hayabusa 
    Participant

Thanks, cd1zz!

dynamik 
    Participant

@hayabusa wrote:

Rumor has it there’s a second OSCE pass, by an EH member, this weekend (just got an excited IM)  Waiting for the announcement from them, as I don’t want to steal their Christmas joy!

Hah, like I’d care. I’d just rather not say anything until it’s official in case I ended up messing something up. I don’t see any reason why I wouldn’t end up with a passing score though.

It’s honestly more like “Christmas relief.” These OffSec courses/exams can overshadow your life for months. It’s kind of odd not having a sense of impending doom…

I sent the report in at 3:30AM on Christmas Eve, so I probably won’t hear back until later this week. My exam time concluded at 7:00AM, so I pretty much went the distance, with a couple hours spent on the report at the end. I slept maybe 5-6 hours inbetween days, so I’m pretty worn out. I didn’t even get to look at one of the systems, but the points I had should put me where I need to be.

Also, Hayabusa did a great job of “motivating” me by sending me a message when I was about 30 hours in and succumbing to rage and frustration: “Just got my results, passed. Are you done yet?” >:(

Looking back, I guess there were a few other friendly, “You can do it!” type messages, but that’s the one that really stuck out 😉

hayabusa 
    Participant

LOL!  You know darned well I was pulling for you.  I kept excitedly waiting for your ‘I got it!!!’ message.  Great job, man!!

caissyd 
    Participant

Wow, congratulations guys!!!

That’s VERY impressive!!!

UNIX 
    Participant

@ajohnson wrote:

Hah, like I’d care. I’d just rather not say anything until it’s official in case I ended up messing something up. I don’t see any reason why I wouldn’t end up with a passing score though.

Even if you have no official word yet, congratulations! 😉

dynamik 
    Participant

@unix wrote:

Even if you have no official word yet, congratulations! 😉

They just emailed me, and it’s official!

UNIX 
    Participant

Great, congrats again, now officially. 😉

hayabusa 
    Participant

^^ What he said ^^

Congrats!

m0wgli 
    Participant

@ajohnson Congratulations! 🙂

lorddicranius 
    Participant

Congrats to both of you, awesome accomplishment ;D

cd1zz 
    Participant

@aj – that’s awesome!

caissyd 
    Participant

Congratulations ajohnson !!!

You and Hayabusa now need to get back to your life a bit before doing anything else…  ;D

tturner 
    Participant

That’s awesome both of you! Such an accomplishment, and I’m really excited for you! Major congratulations are in order. If either of you will be at SANS Orlando or B-Sides Orlando in March/April look me up and I’ll buy you a beer. 🙂

hayabusa 
    Participant

@tturner – Unfortunately, won’t be. But one of these days, if I ever run into you, Ill take you up on it, for sure!  😉

Thanks for the congrats, though, from ALL of you!  It was definitely a long few months there, and it’s nice to know I finished it (and I’m sure ajohnson likely feels much the same, as I know he’s got his irons in a lot of fires, right now, too.)

tturner 
    Participant

@hayabusa wrote:

@tturner – Unfortunately, won’t be. But one of these days, if I ever run into you, Ill take you up on it, for sure!   😉

I’ll probably do DefCon/BsidesLV, DerbyCon, and OWASP AppSec USA (NYC) this year as well. 🙂

dynamik 
    Participant

I’ll be at DefCon and DerbyCon this year.

I’ll also be at either the Orlando or Vegas SANS conference for a couple days. I would have preferred Orlando since it’s sooner and “not Vegas,” but time and money constraints are making the Spring conference increasingly less feasible.

I appreciate the congratulations everyone. I’ve done a lot of certs, but this is one of the few I’m really proud of.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2019 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?