Online penetration testing courses!

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      robert.rzad
      Participant

Dear users of Ethichal Hacking-Network!

My name is Robert Rzad. I am the manager of PenTest Laboratory portal. Our portal is a training platform created by the very same people, who made PenTest Magazine (http://pentestmag.com/). I would like to propose you participation in our new initiative – online penetration testing courses. The courses itself will be conducted by well-known partner of PenTest Magazine, Mr Jeremy Faircloth. The course consists eight lessons, where you will learn everything about penetration testing.
      Estimated start of the course: April 2012.

If you are interested in further details, please contact me here or via mail:
      robert[dot]rzad[at]software[dot]com[dot]pl

Regards,
      Robert Rzad.

MaXe
      Participant

@robert.rzad wrote:

The course consists eight lessons, where you will learn everything about penetration testing.

Sounds great!  ;D But I think “everything” is exaggerating a bit, as I haven’t seen a training provider yet, cover everything. Some covers a lot, but a lot is not everything, especially if it’s “everything you want to know”.  🙂 Just my thoughts, but I’d like to see the syllabus or course overview as it’ll be easier to get an idea how much and what it covers  🙂

Anonymous
      Participant

I agree be good to see as I have not found one course that covers everything in so much detail

robert.rzad
      Participant

Well, indeed, “everything” was a little bit an exaggeration, but I really do think, that this course is all what you need. 🙂

Here is quick info about those courses:

Each course takes one month. The courses are being led in groups up to 20 people. Each course can be attended at the 3 levels: beginners, intermediate and advanced. The attendee wanting to join a course must subscribe to a particular course. The whole course is divided into 8 particular issues. Twice in a week the instructor provides the students with the materials regarding the topic of this particular issue. Each portion of the delivered materials is gathered in a form of an in-depth article describing and explaining the topic. Additionally the instructor is sharing other media files, like videos, if applicable. Except of the article, each lesson includes homework to test the gained knowledge and skills of the student. Once the homework is done, the student is sharing his results with the instructor and having a live chat with him in the appointed hours. Additionally, for the course period, the instructor is available via e-mail for students to ask questions and confront their thoughts with the instructor. The additional option of the courses is the possibility for the students to interact with themselves, seeking some support or just discussing some course related issues.

About Syllabus: It’s almost ready, but it needs a little improvements.

PS: I am a bit busy, but I always have time to respond to mails, so I highly encourage you to sending me those mails, if you are interested/have any questions. 🙂

dbest
      Participant

@robert.rzad wrote:

Well, indeed, “everything” was a little bit an exaggeration, but I really do think, that this course is all what you need. 🙂

About Syllabus: It’s almost ready, but it needs a little improvements.

I think the syllabus is what most of us would be interested in.
      The format of the course sounds interesting, but I believe there are other courses that have used a similar format before.

robert.rzad
      Participant

Syllabus:

day1 – Toolset Introduction
      Learn how to use a basic penetration testing toolset and build a small lab
      environment for your testing.

day2 – Reconnaissance
      Perform high-level discovery of your target and learn as much as possible
      without letting your target find out that you’re studying them.

day3 – Enumeration and Scanning
      Now let’s get some detailed information about the target and put together a
      plan of attack!

day4 – Passwords
      Sometimes the fastest way in is through the front door… Learn how to
      perform basic password attacks.

day5 – Web Services
      Let’s probe the #1 most publicly exposed service available.

day6 – Exploitation
      We have a target, now we need to learn what to do with it. Exploitation is
      the art of getting the job done.

day7 – Databases
      Databases can be fun and useful! Let’s see what we can learn from them…

day8 – Privilege Escalation
      Time to own the box.

Okay, here’s the syllabus I received. As I said – this version might need a little bit shining up, but this is pretty much, what this course is going to cover.

vp75
      Participant

Course format is interesting…. WIll wait for more information….
      Cheers

Anonymous
      Participant

The syllabus seem to follow most courses but more info would be good.

tturner
      Participant

I have yet to see a curriculum address web services in any meaningful way. Even SANS SEC542 while addressing web services and providing some great background and basics, did not dive into web services deeply enough for me.

MaXe
      Participant

@tturner wrote:

I have yet to see a curriculum address web services in any meaningful way. Even SANS SEC542 while addressing web services and providing some great background and basics, did not dive into web services deeply enough for me.

SEC542 barely dives into Web App Sec, but it’s good as a foundation. I clearly remember a student, who’s an excellent exploit writer, when he took the 5-day live course. I was surprised he needed a lot of work with understanding how SQL Injection, LFI, RFI, and XSS work, especially beyond the very basics.

I agree there is barely any providers that dives deep into web app sec yet, except OffSec that seems to be the current next step after SEC542, but to be honest, that course doesn’t make you an expert from my point of view (at least that’s the idea I get from looking at the syllabus), it looks more like the level between pro and expert (which is better than any other provider I know about), as the leading experts in this field dives deep into some topics they perhaps, should’ve included  🙂 Can’t wait to hear the reviews as I’m sure many will benefit from it.

Syllabus: http://www.offensive-security.com/documentation/awae-syllabus.pdf
      Certification: http://www.offensive-security.com/information-security-certifications/oswe-offensive-security-web-expert/

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

Hey Robert Rzad,

I’m curious… who is the real manager of the portal, since you say you are yet there’s another thread in our forums stating that Damian Sajkowicz (@software.com.pl">Damian.Sajkowicz@software.com.pl) is the manager?

I clearly don’t mind having info shared with our community, but if you are blatantly going to advertise, then maybe I can blatantly show you our ad rates.

Sorry to be so blunt, but it seems as though we get a lot of spam from those affiliated with PenTest Mag with no real contributions. I know I don’t spam your readers, so please have the same courtesy.

Don

SephStorm
      Participant

cheers don!

impelse
      Participant

I thought the same.

dynamik
      Participant

There’s a least one other organization (I’ll do them the favor of not naming them) posting nothing but article summaries with referral links. There are no other contributions or discussions; that’s more than a bit sketchy.

Pro tip: if you me to believe you are a professional organization, don’t attempt to circumvent (what I assume are) nominal advertising rates for a quality site. That really makes me question your integrity and the value of your products/services.

hayabusa
      Participant

++1 – ajohnson & don

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2020 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?