nmap output interpretation?

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      blueaxis
      Participant

I scanned 5 hosts in my local network using basic nmap command.

#nmap ip-1, ip-2, ip-3, ip-4, ip-5

what I didn’t quite understand is at the end of the scan why did nmap reported it scanned 9 ip addresses.

Nmap done: 9 IP addresses (5 hosts up) scanned in 30.47 seconds

Any idea what’s going on here?

Appreciate your help.

Dark_Knight
      Participant

Try using the -v option for more details…. You could also run a sniffer during the scan to exactly what is happening.

hurtl0cker
      Participant

Use the Verbose output option using ‘-v’ command line flag or Increase the verbosity level using ‘-vv’

try using ‘–packet-trace’ command line flag, this option causes Nmap to print a summary of every packet it sends and receives. This can be extremely useful for debugging or understanding Nmap’s behavior.

hayabusa
      Participant

Or to add to hurtl0cker’s packet trace thought, fire up Wireshark, and see what you’re actually sending / receiving from nmap, too.  It’s a good way to learn, by seeing what your selected options are actually doing, under the covers.

blueaxis
      Participant

Thanks everyone for your advise. I did try the verbose option.

It appears nmap is scanning 192.168.xx.0 ip address multiple times. I didn’t ask nmap to scan that host by the way. Not sure if that is the default behavior.

SephStorm
      Participant

Good learning experiment  😉

hayabusa
      Participant

So, blueaxis…  Let me ask you this, as you think about your nmap question:

What IS that 192.168.xx.0 address?  (As if I don’t know  ;))  Might help you understand the behavior a bit, down the road…

blueaxis
      Participant

It appears that “.0” address would be a broadcast address. Feel free to correct me if that isn’t the case.

rattis
      Participant

.0 is more than likely the network address. network address is the first address in the block, the broadcast is the last.

SephStorm
      Participant

Thats correct, .0 generally represents the default class C network address. Unless the network is subnetted the broadcast address would be .254, right?

eth3real
      Participant

I believe the broadcast address would be 192.168.xx.255

If you wanted to scan your entire subnet (assuming the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0), you could do this:
      # nmap 192.168.xx.0/24

happy hacking, nmap is a lot of fun and an amazing asset once you learn it. 🙂

blueaxis
      Participant

Some more updates on this.

This time I made sure wireshark is enabled while performing the nmap scan, to my strangeness 192.168.xx.0 doesn’t show up in the capture. It’s however displayed in the nmap output.

I will try it couple more times today and see if I can spot anything.

SephStorm
      Participant

IMO, Nmap is likely telling you something about the network itself. I havent tried it to see if this is normal, but in any case, you wont see any packets from .0, as it cant be assigned to network devices, nor can the broadcast address.

idr0p
      Participant

My guess if you look at captures.

you are scanning

x.0, x.1,x.2,x.3,x.4

nmap scans
      x.1 – gets response
      x.2 – gets response
      x.3 – gets response
      x.4 – gets response
      x.0 – (network scan) gets response from x.1,x.2,x.3,x.4
      Nmap now goes.. oohh more things to play with so it scans all the ips that respond.
      x.1 – gets response
      x.2 – gets response
      x.3 – gets response
      x.4 – gets response

= 9 instances.

Triban
      Participant

@eth3real wrote:

I believe the broadcast address would be 192.168.xx.255

If you wanted to scan your entire subnet (assuming the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0), you could do this:
      # nmap 192.168.xx.0/24

unless you come across something like this: 192.168.0.0/27  >:(

Then your broadcast is 192.168.0.31 and network is 192.168.0.1 (I hate you CCNA book but some day I will finish you).

mambru
      Participant

unless you come across something like this: 192.168.0.0/27  Angry

Then your broadcast is 192.168.0.31 and network is 192.168.0.1

This is usually true, there are some cases where the network address works as broadcast tough

http://www.whitehats.ca/main/members/Jeff/gcia_assign_2/gcia_assign_2.html

http://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-net-practice.html#chap-net-practice-kernel-options

ev0wpnz
      Participant

Can you provided us with a screen shot of a copy and paste of the command ran and the output. I think this would be much more helpful in diagnosing this issue.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2021 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?