New job.. I drive 2 hours a day now..any good pod-cast to listen to?

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      YuckTheFankees
      Participant

With my new job, I began driving between 90-120 mins a day. I feel like I should be using this time in some way. Are there any good pod-cast about security, networking, or I.T. ? Do you have any other suggestions to put on my ipod?

thanks

Triban
      Participant

Pauldotcom, Network Security Podcast, ISDPodcast and if you want something educational but not necessarily technical, I recommend the HowStuffWorks podcasts.

yatz
      Participant

I drive about 1 – 1.5 hours each day, and I listen to a LOTTTTTT of audiobooks.  Plus TWiT if I’m between books.

rattis
      Participant

This topic came up in #misec recently, and we posted the question to our linked in group. here is what I replied. Some are a rehash of what is above. But with about 10 hours a week of driving you could also go through all the archives.

Hack Naked TV (Video)
      Paultdotcom Security Weekly
      Network Security Podcast
      Tenable Network Security Podcast
      Down the Rabbit Hole
      Exotic Liability
      Social-Engineer.org Podcast
      The Southern Fried Security podcast
      Eurotrash Security Podcast

YuckTheFankees
      Participant

Thanks for the info! I cant take the radio anymore! Same damn songs over and over.

Anonymous
      Participant

Paul DotCom is definitely good, ISC does a daily podcast, and a few others already mentioned. I’d also check out audible.com, I can’t stand the radio either but listening to tech talk can tire you out as well.

tturner
      Participant

Add Security Justice and OWASP to your list.

rattis
      Participant

looks like I’ll be adding securabit to my list.

YuckTheFankees
      Participant

Today I actually listened to some podcast and it was pretty good. I could only handle about 45 minutes of it lol

WCNA
      Participant

Doesn’t the kindle have text to speech? In that case you can download any book, hacking or not and listen to it. Anybody try this?

YuckTheFankees
      Participant

I havent heard of that, but Ill definitely look into it.

Does anyone have other ideas on how to use my long drive to benefit me in some way?

Negrita
      Participant

I’ve got a 1 and a half hour commute in the mornings and an hour in the evenings getting home. I must confess that I usually listen to Harry Potter or other audio books on my iPod one after the other.  :-[ I can’t imagine wanting to listen to something technical to or from work – I need that time for musing.

YuckTheFankees
      Participant

2.5 hours of harry potter is a bit much  😛 lol  I just feel like I’m losing time not studying..so some technical stuff is okay, definitely not the whole time.

Anonymous
      Participant

Not really a pod-cast  but you can get kevin’s Ghost in the wires as audio.

pseud0
      Participant

Morgan Page In the air podcast

I agree with the “not listening to anything technical while commuting” comment.  I always feel like I’m just going through the motions when I try to listen to something detailed while scrambling through airports and subways.  It’d be different if I did the same commute every day (same highway, same subway, same bus, same pneumatic tube ala Futurama) and could get where I was going via muscle memory, but I’m normally in a different city every week and have to pay attention. I end up either listening to the podcast and missing my stop, or paying attention to where I’m going and not retaining any of the technical info.  I just don’t even pretend to try and opt for something that’ll pass the time.

rattis
      Participant

@Negrita wrote:

I can’t imagine wanting to listen to something technical to or from work – I need that time for musing.

It’s actually not that bad. I don’t want to listen to them at home, and can’t listen to them at work (they become background noise and I miss things). But driving is done mostly in “alpha mode” and I enjoy my list while driving.

Different people for different things I guess.

YuckTheFankees
      Participant

pseud0,

I actually went through the same thing the other day. I was listening to one of the podcast and it was really interesting, I noticed I wasnt paying enough attention to where I was going; and missed my exit. After that, I might not listen to podcast as much as I thought I would.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2020 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?