New elearnsecurity offering

This topic contains 27 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Yababa 5 years, 10 months ago.

• Author
     SephStorm 
    Participant
     Don Donzal 
    Keymaster

Ooh, ooh ooh. I know! Pick me. Pick me.

Woops. Sorry, Can’t say.

What I can say is stay tuned to EH-Net for hints, as we have some fun things planned with eLS. I have a funny feeling it has a little to do with their mystery. Mwoo ha ha!

Don

impelse 
    Participant

Those guys at elearnsecurity always create the surprise, any way it is valid to guess so I begin to guess:

Something with Forensic or exploit development.

What do you think guys.

SephStorm 
    Participant

I’m think maybe multiple programs? They definatly mentioned divergent paths. Exploit development, I think I saw something about antivirus… *drool*

Amazing a guy who can’t program a lick is so into stuff requiring programming.

YuckTheFankees 
    Participant

I have a feeling it’s an exploit dev course, at least I hope so!

m0wgli 
    Participant

They’ve updated the site and announced it as:

ARES – Advanced Reverse Engineering of Software.

SephStorm 
    Participant

New ARES video:

YuckTheFankees 
    Participant

I hope they release the syllabus soon. I’m very interested to know what will be covered in this course.

m0wgli 
    Participant
     SephStorm 
    Participant

I emailed them, its not clear what level of experience is required with ASM/programming before someone attempts this course.

YuckTheFankees 
    Participant

I have spoken to them regarding that issues and they said the “advanced” part is definitely confusing because this course is for newbies and advanced people. Newbies will be able to start this course but they need to know it will not be easy and they will need to study pretty damn hard.

YuckTheFankees 
    Participant

I noticed in the syllabus that they will base the training on Windows NT. Will there be a time when companies start gearing their training’s towards more “modern” operating systems?

m0wgli 
    Participant

@yuckthefankees wrote:

I noticed in the syllabus that they will base the training on Windows NT. Will there be a time when companies start gearing their training’s towards more “modern” operating systems?

@Wikipedia wrote:

Windows NT is a family of operating systems produced by Microsoft, the first version of which was released in July 1993. It was a powerful high-level-language-based, processor-independent, multiprocessing, multi-user operating system. “NT” was expanded to “New Technology” for marketing purposes but no longer carries any specific meaning. It was intended to complement consumer versions of Windows that were based on MS-DOS. NT was the first fully 32-bit version of Windows, whereas its consumer-oriented counterparts, Windows 3.1x and Windows 9x, were 16-bit/32-bit hybrids. Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows Home Server, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, Windows RT and Windows Server 2012 are members of the Windows NT family, although they are not branded using the name “Windows NT”.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT

I’m pretty sure the use of “NT” is referring to “New Technology”, rather than Windows NT 4.0 specifically.

Armando 
    Participant

Hi all
    Thanks for you interest in what we do (as always).
    Glad to see that there’s so many people already speculating around the course and I thought a few clarifications are necessary.

Pre-requisites
    The course is not for already advanced reverse engineers or exploit developers. The course is comprehensive and starts from the basics.

Still, due to the nature of the course, you will require some basics that will be discussed during the launch webinar AND in the course page released on 24th.

Windows NT

Well, seriously, do you really think we would base a training course on NT 4.0 ? πŸ˜€
    NT is the code base for all the modern Windows operating systems as m0wgli correctly stated.
    So this course will teach you how to perform application analysis on XP, Vista, 7 and 8. The kernel might differ a little bit but they all come from the same code base and architecture.

We all shed tears when we see old computers in the Computer History Museum, but not so much to base a training course on those πŸ˜‰

Only few days until you know everything. Also during the launch you have the chance to enroll at a discounted price. Even more if you are a current student!

See you there

UNIX 
    Participant

@armando wrote:

The course is not for already advanced reverse engineers or exploit developers. The course is comprehensive and starts from the basics.

Then why name it “Advanced Reverse Engineering of Software”? πŸ˜›

Are there any plans for a course on the same topic but towards more experienced users? πŸ™‚

Armando 
    Participant

Good question πŸ™‚
    It’s advanced because it takes you to an advanced stage still starting from the basics.

It’s also 100% practical with many applications to analyse.

I can tell you that professional reverse engineers or malware analysts might find it very useful.

On future courses, we don’t announce them in advance but we have lots of things in the making.

YuckTheFankees 
    Participant

Thank you for answering the question in a non sarcastic manner πŸ˜‰

Armando 
    Participant

@Yuck No sarcasm for our students, only brotherly love πŸ˜€

Phillip Wylie 
    Participant

I look forward to the launch and learning more about the course.

m0wgli 
    Participant

Did anyone else attend the Webinar? I only managed to join for the Q&A part, as I got in late from work. What were you’re impressions?

I’ve been reading through the additional course details on the eLearnSecurity site and I’m quite interested by what I’ve read so far.

YuckTheFankees 
    Participant

I listen to the whole webinar and it was pretty interesting. I’m a fan of elearnsecurity courses so Im buying this course..maybe the GREM after?

SephStorm 
    Participant

The cost will be difficult to justify, but the plus of discounts, upgrade, lifetime access and downloadable videos may tip in their favor

YuckTheFankees 
    Participant

You thought the course was overpriced?

m0wgli 
    Participant

Regarding justification/pricing, I guess it comes down to whose going to pay for it and what they perceive it’s benefits are going to be.

@sephstorm @YuckTheThankees As eLearnSecurity student’s, I’m guessing you may also have gotten an e-mail offering a 30% discount off of the course?

I was surprised though, at how short the window of opportunity to take advantage of the offer is. It expires on the 30th of September 11:59pm (PDT).

IIRC the student discount voucher for the WAPT course lasted much longer.

SephStorm 
    Participant

Its more reasonable given the discount, but yes. I thing had they been flat priced it would have been easier to swallow (700,800,1000), but of course they have gone with todays 99 marketing.

m0wgli 
    Participant

@sephstorm wrote:

Its more reasonable given the discount, but yes.

I’m assuming the “yes” is referring to overpricing?

If so, I’m curious as to what you’d consider reasonable prices to be?

@sephstorm wrote:

I thing had they been flat priced it would have been easier to swallow (700,800,1000), but of course they have gone with todays 99 marketing.

If Psychological pricing wasn’t used, the prices would surely go up to $800, $900, $1200? I wouldn’t expect rounding down $99 to $0. Although those figures are no easier to swallow either.

SephStorm 
    Participant

Good point, but I feel that in many cases, the item/service was determined to be worth 700-750 and to get the extra profit, they throw it to 799. Consider this course, are the value added features for each level worth a full 100 each?

Yababa 
    Participant

If you feel it’s right go for it. Ignore all the nerd comments.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright Β©2019 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?