Network Hacking / VM’s

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      digitalvampire
      Participant

Hey guys,

I know of several great VM’s for System and Web application hacking, but I was curious if there were any emulators or VM’s that had Network based challenges?ย  I have GNS3, and I’ve used it from time to time.. but it loves to act up, and I would prefer something I could explore more ๐Ÿ™‚

As always, thanks for your help ๐Ÿ™‚

-DV

dynamik
      Participant

GNS3 is a front-end GUI for dynamips/dynagen, so if the problem is GNS3 itself, you may be able to get around that by working directly with the command line/text configurations. That’s the closet thing I know of, unfortunately.

Your best will be snagging some used gear on eBay or somewhere else. You can get a lot of functionality for fairly low prices.

digitalvampire
      Participant

I didn’t know that about GNS3.. that actually sounds fun ๐Ÿ™‚

Also in regards to the VM’s.. I remember reading/hearing about a VM scenario that was an emulated network in a box.. but I can’t remember what it was!

Thanks for your reply! ๐Ÿ™‚

BillV
      Participant

This site has some pretty decent prices for network equipment:

Home

RoleReversal
      Participant

If you’ve already got a virtual environment for your server/app lab set-up take a look at Vyatta’s open source edition.

They’ve got some fairly powerful network kit available as virtual images. I’ve got one running as a router handling the core of my lab environment without issue.

If you’ve got some experience with other network kit (Cisco et al) it should be fairly intuitive to pick up.

digitalvampire
      Participant

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the replies – I have been looking into them all.

@Andrew I actually downloaded Vyatta a while back, and started setting it up. I had to stop because I was working on another project at the time – but I think it’s time to revist that.ย 

I don’t have a budget unfortunately for purchasing equipment, so everything would have to be Virtualized.

Thanks again for all the great responses! =)

-DV

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ยฉ2020 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?