Nessus scanner help

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      maddy
      Participant

Hi,
      I am looking to configure the Nessus scanner to scan for the below vulnerability.

Any local user should have passwordrequired “yes”

C:Net local user guest /passwordreq:yes.

Kindly suggest for the configuration part on same.

Thnks

UKSecurityGuy
      Participant

I’m not entirely clear what you’re trying to achieve here, but I assume you mean:

1. You want to audit a Windows machine to ensure that the ‘guest’ account has a password set? (btw the command is [net user guest | findstr “Password required”])

2. You want to use Nessus to perform this audit?

Is there any particular reason why Nessus is required for this?

maddy
      Participant

Yeah…i want to audit through Nessus scanner…for the local user accounts like guest

usually through commandline for every local user “password required =yes” should be configured as per the security guidelines of our organization..being an administrator i need to audit through nessus tool across 20K machines.

Triban
      Participant

Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer can probably accomplish this as well. It can be used via cmdline and scripted to run on a schedule job. It can also be dumped to default reports within MBSA or you can dump it to an text file. Not sure if it is delimited since I haven’t run it in a while. Back in Nessus you can check if the account is disabled using a credentialed scan. Guest is disabled by default so if you find devices with it enabled, then you probably have a bigger problem on your hands. With the size of your network I would hope there is no legitimate need for that account to be active on local workstations. Here is an article from Tenable on properly setting up a credentialed scan: http://static.tenable.com/documentation/nessus_credential_checks.pdf

Good luck!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2020 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?