my dell xps m1530

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      iSmith
      Participant

hi guys, i got my dell xps m1530 laptop last week. it is so cool.it has integrated 8 in 1 card reader, 2.0 megapixel webcam,
      3 usb ports, a slot loading dvd burner. it also has a expresscard remote, and vista home premium. the laptop is huge, and small at the same time. it also has an intel core 2 duo t5450 1.66 ghz.
      it weighs just less than 6 pounds and has a 15.4″ lcd screen. it also has an nvidia geforce 8400 gs graphics card with 128mb of gddr3, that runs DX10.

eth3real
      Participant

@iSmith wrote:

vista home premium.

I’m sorry. 🙁

You haven’t put Ubuntu/Gentoo/*insert Linux distro here* on it, yet?

iSmith
      Participant

>:( >:( >:( vista aint that bad for a windows distro.

iSmith
      Participant

oh yeah, i might put on ubuntu 8.04 hardy heron on it if i get a chance

eth3real
      Participant

@iSmith wrote:

Really? I tried it on my home PC, and was not pleased. I removed it and put Windows XP Pro back on within a few weeks.

Clay Briggs
      Participant

Heh… I had Vista on my laptop for a total of 14 hours before I wiped it off and put on dual booted XP and Ubuntu.  I hate that memory hogging, huge kernel, baby killing, diabolical OS. 😉  Well… not as bad as the ME OS.  ME was simply…. unspeakable.  It was the evil that shall not be named…. Vista isn’t much cooler in my book though.  I’d have to go with Eth3real on this one.

BillV
      Participant

@eth3real wrote:

@iSmith wrote:

Really? I tried it on my home PC, and was not pleased. I removed it and put Windows XP Pro back on within a few weeks.

Yup, I lasted about a month before I got fed up with it and didn’t even go back to XP, just straight Linux.

geekyone
      Participant

I am an avid Vista hater but iSmith does have a point for a casual “at home” user Vista works just as well (from a security standpoint maybe better) as XP.  That being said I will never run Vista on one of my home machines…well maybe in my lab to test against  :D.

iSmith
      Participant

>:( >:(you all think that vista is so bad. you’re hopeless if you can’t keep with the times.

Bogwitch
      Participant

I have two copies of Vista, one given by Microsoft and one bought for evaluation.
      I have a replacement 20GB HDD for my laptop on which I installed Vista.
      The performance hit for using Vista was astonishing. My laptop is not the best spec by any imagination, I have a 1.7GHz P4M, 1GB RAM and 64MB video memory so it’s no slouch, either.
      The performance when running Linux and Windows 2000 is CONSIDERABLY faster as compared to Vista. So, if you want to crunch numbers on your computer system, avoiding Vista would be a Good Idea. If you want pretty effects and slow perfomance, Vista is the way to go.
      Bearing in mind, throughout the lifecycle so far for Windows 2000, applying all the Microsoft patches as recommended, the memory footprint has increased by close on 50%, I would expect a similar hit on performance with Vista.
      The paranoid cynic in me might suggest that LIMS wasn’t about memory management at all, but a conspiracy to ensure hardware always needed constantly refreshing!

iSmith
      Participant

Dear Bogwitch,
                          you are having problems using vista because your hardware is outdated. It’s important to keep with the times, you know.
                          My laptop uses an Intel Core 2 Duo 1.66GHz  (dualcore 64-bit) proc. It has 2GB of ram, and a nVidia GeForce 8400 GS with 128MB of GDDR3 and DirectX10. And it runs fast too. I suspect the problem many of you have is insufficient hardware.

iSmith out.

Bogwitch
      Participant

Dear iSmith,

My point is, that Vista is eating more clock cycles/ memory than is necessary for an OS to function. If you want the extras that Vista offers, that’s up to you but if you want to crunch numbers, or compute then an alternative OS would be a better choice. Or have I got it wrong? Would Linux/ Win2k run faster on your platform or not?

iSmith
      Participant

🙂 bogwitch, vista is the future. either you roll with it, or you become roadkill.

iSmith
      Participant

i vote that this should be called Vista Hater Network

Bogwitch
      Participant

🙂 I’m keeping up with my awareness but I’m not going to choose to use it on a daily basis! I think the jury is still out as to whether Vista is the future – remember ME?

eth3real
      Participant

There’s nothing wrong with Vista. Nobody said that Vista is bad.
      We’ve only said that we don’t like it.

iSmith, you are correct. I do not have any of the current hardware. The computer I ram Vista on was a Pentium 4 2.4 GHz CPU, 2 GB RAM, 512 MB DX9 GPU.
      However, a good friend of mine, with a Core2 Quad CPU and 8 GB RAM (a $1600 system in all), ran Vista for a little over a month and switched back to XP.

Vista might be the current OS that business and home users need to be familiar with, but most of us are (or are aspiring to be) security professionals.
      Systems administrators, help desk support, etc. need to be very familiar with Vista, if their companies are using Vista.
      Security professionals need to use whatever OS works better for the system or network they are analyzing.

Would you not agree?

iSmith
      Participant

Ubuntu rocks, Vista sucks.

RoleReversal
      Participant

@iSmith wrote:

Ubuntu rocks, Vista sucks.

First emergence of bi-polar fanboism?  ;D

iSmith
      Participant

I am not bipolar. I have moved over to Ubuntu!

oneeyedcarmen
      Participant

@iSmith wrote:

I am not bipolar. I have moved over to Ubuntu!

ah, but my friend, you shall never live that down  ;D

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2022 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?