Mock exercises for CSIRT

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      snortymcsnort
      Participant

Hi, I am looking for ideas to revitalize my CSIRT team.  One of the best suggestions I have heard of was having an incident drill so the team members can practice their functions.  Does anyone have some an example of a drill they have run?

Thanks

unsupported
      Participant

There are a few ways to accomplish this.  You can do a live read through any one of Ed Skoudis’ scenarios (as outlined here on EH-Net) minus the entertaining themes (Brady Bunch, Simpsons, Matrix, etc).  Ed has given permission and suggestion to do this in the SEC504 course.

You can also hire or have a skilled team member perform a penetration test to see how the team reacts/notices the test or just ignores it.  You should probably only do this with a seasoned group who has worked together for awhile so everyone is not tripping over themselves.

dalepearson
      Participant

It is good practice to regularly carry out a CSIRT drill.
      I would suggest thinking about a real world scenario that could impact your organisation, and then go through the stages as you would in real life, but in a drill scenario.

So bringing the teams together, brain storming etc.
      If your a global organisation follow the sun so each region has a part to play, and cease the drill when a full rotation has been completed.

Then review the process, improvements, etc.

timmedin
      Participant

NIST has some scenarios in Appendix B of 800-61 Computer Security Incident Handling Guide. While there aren’t any super technical things to be done it does provide good food for thought.

snortymcsnort
      Participant

Thanks for the replies!  These are all good ideas.

brima99
      Participant

A bit late, but check out these:

http://www.enisa.europa.eu/act/cert/support/exercise

Soon we’ll also publish Live DVDs

Cheers,
      Marco

snortymcsnort
      Participant

Thanks Marco.  There are a lot of good materials on the site.  Looking forward to the Live DVDs.

snortymcsnort
      Participant

ENISA has the ISO images for their live DVDs available now http://www.enisa.europa.eu/act/cert/support/exercise
      They have some really good exercises here and I am looking forward to using them in our training

UNIX
      Participant

Sounds interesting, will have a look at it too. Thanks for notifying.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2020 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?