Minipci wirelss card suggestions?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      unsupported
      Participant

Ok, I just got a new (to me laptop) and I want to upgrade to a minipci wirelss card which would be suitable for a pen testing lab.  I all ready have a PCMCIA Orinoco Gold which will probably remain in my linux laptop, but wanted something compatible for my laptop.  I would prefer it to be fully supported in Linux (either natively or with a patch), support injection, promiscious, monitor mode, .  Based upon this link (http://airodump.net/wifi-hardware-monitor-applications/), I’ve narrowed it down to the Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915ABG or Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG, but I wanted to know some real world suggestions.

Thanks!

p.s.  Can you help me haxor Microsoft Network Hearts?  Someone p0wned me and I want revenge!!!

hayabusa
      Participant

@unsupported wrote:

p.s.  Can you help me haxor Microsoft Network Hearts?  Someone p0wned me and I want revenge!!!

L-O-L, R-O-F-L, and all that !  😛

rattis
      Participant

@unsupported wrote:

I’ve narrowed it down to the Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915ABG or Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG, but I wanted to know some real world suggestions.

Thanks!

While I haven’t used those Intel® PRO/Wireless wireless cards, I do have an Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945 in my laptop (built in), and it works pretty good. I’ve had some diver issues with it in linux, but the the support has gotten better.

@unsupported wrote:

p.s.  Can you help me haxor Microsoft Network Hearts?  Someone p0wned me and I want revenge!!!

Was that before or after the hacked your computer, and stole your phone number?

*edit to change the quoting around

Ketchup
      Participant

I usually keep my built-in card, even it doesn’t support injection, and opt for an external USB dongle with full nix support and injection.  This allows me to maintain one NIC in monitor mode, and one in Managed mode.  I find this convenient.  That’s just me though.

hayabusa
      Participant

Ditto, and I find performance is generally better doing it that way.  My USB Linksys does a great job with the injection side.

unsupported
      Participant

Thank you for the recommendations.  I am doing this in a lab setting, so, I need to balance cost and features.  I just found out a laptop that was just donated to me also can use a minipci card, so I found multiple ones in an auction that will save on shipping.

So, I can use those for every day, and if I need to maintain one in monitor and one in managed, then I can use my Orinoco gold, or the other handful of cards I have.

Thanks!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2021 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?