Mile2 CPTE Review

Viewing 33 reply threads
  • Author
      YuckTheFankees
      Participant

I know people have A LOT of questions about the CPTE and I hope this thread can help answer those questions. I’m certainly not done with the videos but I would like to give information on the course while I go through it and I would also like for anyone else who’s taking this course to pitch-in as well. Once I’m completely done with the course and exam, I’ll do a complete review..but until then, I think this thread can definitely answer some questions people may have.

Just to give some personal information:
      – I have no security or pentesting background
      – 3 months of IT experience
      – My linux skills are above average
      – Networking skills: decent
      – Programming: I know a little BASH but that’s about it (I need to improve in this area)

YuckTheFankees
      Participant

I just started module 3: Info Gathering, and so far it’s pretty interesting. They had a couple video’s about physical security and now I feel like buying some bump key’s and padlock shimmer to practice with  ;D

So I was just going through some other video’s and it seems the video’s have not been updated since roughly 2008 or 2009. In one of the video’s they talk about http://www.kartOO.com which was a visual search engine but it no longer exist. From their examples, it looked pretty cool..I wish it was still around….

YuckTheFankees
      Participant

As the modules went on, I became bored of the material. A lot of it had to do with the material being so old. For example: They like to show certain websites and how to use them, but about half of them are no longer up or are completely different…so that’s really annoying.

I stopped looking at the videos about a week ago and I probably wont look at them again…..if they would of given us the study booklets as well, it might be a different story…but they didnt…so I would say save your money and time…just stick with CEH and OSCP.

cd1zz
      Participant

Thanks for the update. Good to know.

KrisTeason
      Participant

Sorry to hear YuckTheFankees. I wonder how the other members who picked out the alternate courses are doing – and if they share the same opinion. If they’re that much out of date on the CPTE, it makes you wonder if all of their material isn’t up-to-date either.

YuckTheFankees
      Participant

I have access to the CPTE, CDFE, and CSWAE videos. All 3 are about 2-4 years old. I have spoken with Ray (their president of sales, I think?) and he said the CSWAE is getting updated FEB of next year, but they have no plans of updating the other material at this time.

My opinion:

CDFE (computer forensics): Since I’m new to the field most of the video’s are interesting but the quality is probably a 4 out of 10. Some videos you can hear perfectly, some are so low I need to get headphones so the sound is directly in my ear.

CSWAE (web app pentest): The video’s are actually from some sort of online class they held probably a couple years ago. The sound is a little pretty rough, it’s probably due to the online class environment. Also, every now and again he will ask for feedback from the class..and they never response back besides a “yeah” or some strange noise that sounds like no? lol

So take my review with a grain of salt, but they definitely aren’t quality videos. Ray said it was just to expensive to keep the classes updated….so he pretty much said it himself.

KrisTeason
      Participant

That answered my main question right there. Didn’t know the material that old. It all makes sense now when I had e-mailed Mile2 and pretty much asked if CPTE will fully prepare someone to the extent of being able to buy a CEH exam voucher and didn’t receive a definitive, ‘Yes’ in the e-mail response.

Good to hear they’re updating CSWAE course Feb. My vote for a solid Web App Pentesting course would be eLS all the way. Definitely more affordable and quality information.

Not sure how much longer they’ll be around with outdated material. There’s tons of training options out there today and no one wants to spend money on old course work. How is the lab environment? I heard that there was a practical environment for students to test their skills in, is this true?

Triban
      Participant

Thanks for the info Yuck.  I too am finding the out-dated material to be a bit of a hinderance on this course.  I am finding my interest gets pulled elsewhere.  Though not even the CEH is fully updated.  I may finish this coursework out just because it is free and the feedback may help improve the program but if I will not work overly hard toward the cert.  I may shoot for CEH for some recognitition and then shoot for OSCP for skills.  I will not weigh this course much compared to the others.

YuckTheFankees
      Participant

@ xXxKrisxXx,

I believe there is a lab but you have to buy the $450.00 course kit. HELL NO is that happening haha

@ 3xban,

Even though the course is out-dated, I am still viewing the CDFE and CSWAE videos. Even if they aren’t that great, they are still free and probably full of info I haven’t learned yet.

impelse
      Participant

I cannot talk for the video, but last month I bought the CPTE, the manual is not great but with the lab you get some exercise (they will not provide the ISO) you can have a lot of fun, last week I’ve been trying to crack passwords using John the Ripper and worked pritty good.

Other labs give you some ideas and you try and will not work and you will try again until it works. I am the module 5

YuckTheFankees
      Participant

I didn’t buy the manual/ lab but I bet that would of enhanced my experience with Mile2. But just going off the videos,it’s not my cup of tea.

triznut
      Participant

I started the CTPE videos as well. Maybe the manual and lab guides would’ve made it a better experience. But I’d look at other sources for training if I were going to pay out of my own pocket. Mile2 if you’re taking notes here: *Update course materials

eth3real
      Participant

A brief observation of the videos indicates to me that the information is about the same as what I learned in CEHv5. That being said, in most of the demonstrations, he’s also using BackTrack 3, which may also say something about the age of the content.

The videos aren’t wholly bad from what I’ve seen, just minor inconsistencies, like the volume level seems to change from one video to the next. In some modules, every section is numbered. Others are not. Some sections don’t even have names, they’ll be titled something like “Untitled-1”. I guess they don’t have very good quality control? :-

Has anyone taken the exam, yet? Any ideas how long before the certification expires?

Anonymous
      Participant

good review I am glad that i didn’t pick mile2 course now and saved for another course that I hope will be more upto date.

monkeydust
      Participant

@eth3real wrote:

Has anyone taken the exam, yet? Any ideas how long before the certification expires?

I took the exam. I haven’t taken the CEH or anything else to compare it against though. It was definitely tougher than I thought it would be and the training doesn’t really prepare you for it. I would say that both can be beneficial though, depending on your experience. That said, a lot of the previous posts about the materials are pretty accurate. The way I understand it, you need to renew your certification every time a new version of the exam is released. It sounded like they shoot for every three years or so but I’m not sure.

triznut
      Participant

I just recently took the CPTE exam. I would say it is on-par with the CEHv6 exam.

repins13
      Participant

I have been a full time penetration tester working for an international security consulting firm for the last 15 years. Penetration testing is still my day to day business.

To be fair, Mile2 courses (CPTE, CPTS, CDFE) in a way are more structured and organized than EC’s one. If you are a new comer to Pen Testing arena, the last thing you want is to attend a course that shows you all sort of different tools but didn’t teach you much in theory and practical, e.g. CEH

Some of the common mistakes new comers make (in evaluating effective pen test trainings):

1. Tools + Tools + Tools: If you want to learn about pen testing, learn about the theory behind exploits, not which tools to use. In this case, Mile2’s CPTE beat CEH flat!

2. OS, software versions: Don’t be surprise to see even the latest pen testing courses still teaching you how to hack Windows 2000. Remember, you want to learn the fundamental that matters, not just tools!

Just to give you another example, SANS Advanced Cutting Edge Hacking  517 (2012) still teaching how to hack Win XP!

3. Look at the certification value: I have personally seen way too many “CEH” who don’t know shit about ethical hacking. Google for CEH braindump, it’s not hard to find abundance of questions.

4.  Myth on Latest & Greatest tools + exploits: Don’t be fooled by trainings that promised latest and greatest tools (e.g. CEH), I’d recommend you to check out the latest CEH training courseware (be resourceful, google for: Rapidshare CEH slides etc….), one word: junk.

I’m not bias against any pen testing courses, but if you want to compare the quality of CEH and Mile2’s CPTE. You can forget about CEH, and yes, you hear this from a 15 years veteran in Penetration Testing industry.

best regards,

repins13

impelse
      Participant

Do you want publicity, talk with Don, 15 years in the pentest arena and you come with your first post with publicity, you’re fire.

ZeroOne
      Participant

@repins13 wrote:

I have been a full time penetration tester working for an international security consulting firm for the last 15 years. Penetration testing is still my day to day business.

To be fair, Mile2 courses (CPTE, CPTS, CDFE) in a way are more structured and organized than EC’s one. If you are a new comer to Pen Testing arena, the last thing you want is to attend a course that shows you all sort of different tools but didn’t teach you much in theory and practical, e.g. CEH

Some of the common mistakes new comers make (in evaluating effective pen test trainings):

1. Tools + Tools + Tools: If you want to learn about pen testing, learn about the theory behind exploits, not which tools to use. In this case, Mile2’s CPTE beat CEH flat!

2. OS, software versions: Don’t be surprise to see even the latest pen testing courses still teaching you how to hack Windows 2000. Remember, you want to learn the fundamental that matters, not just tools!

Just to give you another example, SANS Advanced Cutting Edge Hacking  517 (2012) still teaching how to hack Win XP!

3. Look at the certification value: I have personally seen way too many “CEH” who don’t know shit about ethical hacking. Google for CEH braindump, it’s not hard to find abundance of questions.

4.  Myth on Latest & Greatest tools + exploits: Don’t be fooled by trainings that promised latest and greatest tools (e.g. CEH), I’d recommend you to check out the latest CEH training courseware (be resourceful, google for: Rapidshare CEH slides etc….), one word: junk.

I’m not bias against any pen testing courses, but if you want to compare the quality of CEH and Mile2’s CPTE. You can forget about CEH, and yes, you hear this from a 15 years veteran in Penetration Testing industry.

best regards,

repins13

+1  😉

Izhar
      Participant

I just took CPTE course last month and going through its videos and other stuff, and there is good news for you guys who complaining about its out dated material, it is now up to date and there is much more to learn.

But to be very honest, I won’t say anybody to go for CPTE now because it has up to date material etc. After reviewing previous comments, I would be very straightforward to suggest that don’t ruin your career and don’t change your decision just because of other opinions. Review, analyze, sort out the facts and then decide. This is what I have done and I am 110% satisfy with my selection.

Pholarbi
      Participant

Thanks repins 13 for posting this detailed comparison between CEH and CPTE. I don’t have any concern if you are doing any sort of publicity here or not? I always follow the facts and I am totally agreed with your point of view. CPTE is beyond use of hacking tools, it is well structured ethical hacking course, it not just based on exploit theory, tools but OS like BackTrack 5, Windows 7 and windows 2008 server. I have found updated material and as i have seen all CPTE videos, they were all on BackTrack 5.

When i have joined CPTE i was just a beginner, but i can certainly say CPTE has explore my hacking vision. It doesn’t confine you how to use any hacking tool but enable you to develop your own hacking tools. It is really a true learning source for beginners and for experts I guess.

parispen
      Participant

Thanks to all the participants. The information provided here is really helpful for the new comers into this field of information security. I knew about EC-Council for some time. I Could not take CEH course as it’s quite expensive (6,299.00 MYR). I found Mile2 when i started looking for other similar training companies whose prices are almost half of EC’s. When i compare the syllabus , it’s the same. Then i went for Mile2’s CPTE course and passed the exam(even though it’s a little bit harder). My experience is that the videos from Mile2 are very good and Mile2 is quite established worldwide. The explanation in the videos is very clear not only from the tools perspective but also from the technical explanation point of view of the same. I learned all the stuff with the latest Backtrack 5 and i watch the videos regularly and they are updated quite frequently. So far, i have no regrets.

Meekal 152
      Participant

Hi parispen , you have mentioned about the CEH course cost, which is too expensive than CPTE  but few days before, EC has announced free CEH online exam preparation.  You can see this link http://www.felipemartins.info/2012/05/live-online-ceh-exam-prep-clinic-for-free/

I was really interested to attempt CEH course because EC is the older certification body than Mile2. But now got confusion, I don’t know why are they doing so? Either they are losing their worth or want to attract students? What I believe demanded certification couldn’t be free of cost, because of their own worth. Earlier comments made me in favor of CEH, but last comments showing CTPE is much better in learning perspective.

Of course, I don’t want to waste my money but also not willing to choose the wrong one as well, I want a real learning course, which can help me to enhance my career rather than spoiling it. So far as I am thinking to go with CPTE. I will be wonder, if someone will suggest, if am thinking wrong? Please be sincere while suggesting, because it is all about my career.

Triban
      Participant

hmmm all posters seem to be VERY new, I sense a pattern.

impelse
      Participant

I am still counting, lol. First post and keep talking the same. I already told them, Don can give them good advertisement.

I took CEH and bought Mile2 training, and they are the same. So they keep talking about big difference, nop.

Now OSCP is really completely different and it is making me crazy.  ;D

cd1zz
      Participant

hmmm, I wonder if they have any affiliation with Mile2? HAHA

I’m surprised there were no coupons in those posts.

impelse
      Participant

@cd1zz wrote:

hmmm, I wonder if they have any affiliation with Mile2? HAHA

I’m surprised there were no coupons in those posts.

LOL

Anand_valli
      Participant

I’ve passed CPTE and CDFE from Mile2. I’m so happy about the content of the materials and the tools used for the lab. If you go through the CEH, it will confuse you and the lab manual is not good. Mile2 lab manual gives you step by step guide as how to perform the lab. I’m 100% satisfied with Mile2 and am suggesting Mile2 to many and discourage to go for CEH.

Regards,
      V.Anandharaj CPTE, CDFE

Anand_valli
      Participant

Mile2 Course material is up to date and  reflects Backtrack 5 and advanced penetration testing and hacking labs. I gone through CEH course material and not happy with it but Mile2 CPTE course material is good and Mile2 picked-up the best  tools for the lab manual.

Regards
      Anandharaj CPTE, CDFE

cd1zz
      Participant

meh

sil
      Participant

I was gonna go for the CDFE myself then I realized, I don’t have that problem

http://www.nefootankle.com/newsdesk/practice-news/comprehensive-diabetic-foot-exam-cdfe/

sil
      Participant

You know… In taking a look at mile2 followers, I can understand why we’re seeing an influx of these posts. (http://www.linkedin.com/company/mile2/followers?page_num=2) Seems like mile2 is likely flooding Indian markets with their content/exam. I could respect that. They couldn’t really make it over here in the states where we pretty much laugh them off, so they market it elsewhere. Whatever sells. End of the day, reality is, both mile2 and EC-Council are re-hashes of “not much.” (Opinion – Is what it is sorry)

cd1zz
      Participant

+1

dbest
      Participant

@impelse wrote:

I am still counting, lol. First post and keep talking the same. I already told them, Don can give them good advertisement.

I took CEH and bought Mile2 training, and they are the same. So they keep talking about big difference, nop.

Now OSCP is really completely different and it is making me crazy.  ;D

Totally agree. I have cleared CEH as well as CPTE, and I enjoyed my time in the OSCP lab. If you really want a challenge, attempt the OSCP.

Viewing 33 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2020 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?