Many, Many Questions about CEH v6???

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • Author
      virtualwolf
      Participant

Hi All,

I have just downloaded practice tests from uCertify for what I think is version 6. It is for the 312-50 exam. Is that version 6? I would like to get a book to go along with this, but everything I see is years old except for these 2:
      http://astore.amazon.com/theethhacne0c-20/detail/1435488539
      http://astore.amazon.com/theethhacne0c-20/detail/143548360X
      Which of these books would be better? Is there a book that would be better for me other than these 2? I want to make sure that whatever book I get covers the new material in the v6 exam. I have not worked with much with network security although I do have Security + certification and have been in IT for about 10 years doing mostly PC work with a little server background (Server 2003 MCP).
      Thanks to all who could point me in the right direction…..

Andec
      Participant

Hi Virtualwolf,

I personally would go with the “Official Certified Ethical Hacker Review Guide” because the other book is part of a 5 book series. I used the earlier version of the review guide by Kimberly Graves that covers the version 5 exam when I was studying for the v6 exam and found it to be good for getting the basics of each subject into my head. But I needed to do further study on each topic from other sources (the official courseware mainly)

UNIX
      Participant

The exam objectives in V6 are the same as in V5.

unsupported
      Participant

My understanding is that V6 official course ware has a lot more hands on lab exercises, but the information is still the same.

I read the Official CEH Guide by Kimberly Graves and the Exam Prep by Michael Gregg.  Graves taught me what EC-Council wants me to know.  Gregg taught me why I need to know it and how to apply it.  I also banged out some of the tools in my patchwork lab using two Windows 2003 servers, a Vista and XP client, and a VM ware image of Backtrack 4.  The tools I focused on were Wireshark, NMAP, and Snort.

Good luck!

triznut
      Participant

VW,

I have both the books you’ve linked us to and I would suggest getting both, plus the other 4 books in that series. It’s a 5 volume series.

-Triz

virtualwolf
      Participant

Thank you all so much for replies. Very helpful. Andec, did you pass the exam? Has anyone out there used the uCertify products? It is the first time I am using them after not much luck recently with Transcender. I checked out a couple of demos and uCertified seemed the best and so far I really like them, but all I want is for them to get me to pass the exam. Thanks again everyone…Happy trails….

Andec
      Participant

Virutalwolf, I passed the exam about 10 days ago.

virtualwolf
      Participant

Congratulations Andec!!! Can you tell me a little bit about the format of the test, such as the following?:
      How many questions were single selection multiple choice?
      How many questions were multiple selection multiple choice?
      How long were the questions in general (one, two, three, or more sentences?

Also, what is your IT background?

And again congrats and thanks for your feedback….

virtualwolf
      Participant

Also, as far as the questions go:
      How many present a scenario and ask how many of the tasks will be accomplished?
      When they are multiple selection multiple choice, is there many that say “Choose Two” or “Choose All That Apply”?

I hate the ones that say “Choose All That Apply”!!!

Thanks

UNIX
      Participant

If I am not wrong, the amount of answers one should check is given.

virtualwolf
      Participant

Thanks awesec. I hope you are not wrong….That would help.  ;D

Andec
      Participant

@virtualwolf. Because of the non disclosure agreement I signed before I took the exam, I am not sure that I can be very specific about the actual exam. I will say that there was a good mix of single/multiple answer questions and the majority were more than 3 sentences long. I think that’s about all I can say about the exam.

I get the feeling that you are worried about being able to answer the questions in the given amount of time. If you are prepared, you won’t have a problem.

My background in IT is as a programmer.

virtualwolf
      Participant

Thanks for the info. Andec. I just want to make sure I am prepared. I have failed the last 2 out of 3 exams I have taken. The last 3 I have taken are very different from the practice exams I studied.
      Windows Server 2003 “The Beast” (Failed)
      Security + (Passed)
      Windows Vista (Failed)

I have several others that I passed (A+, Network+, Windows 2000 Workstation, & Windows Server 2003), but I don’t want to fail this one because it is extremely expensive and there may be a job opening soon in Network Securty where I work.

Can anyone tell me if they got any questions about hexadecimal?

Thanks to all…..

UNIX
      Participant

Hexadecimal isn’t really that hard to understand. Do you have any specific questions about it?

Dutchie
      Participant

Hi All,

I’m new at this forum!

I would like to have some advice on the time it on average a person takes to prepare for the examen. This is important for me because I’ve read somewhere that from the beginning of JUne the objectives of the V6 will be examinated on the examen. Until that date the objectives of V5 are valid!!

As I’ve read that the objectives are extended for the V6, I prefer to be examinated based on the V5-objectives. For these objectives the books and other study material is finalized.

So this is a serious request for advice. Based on the answers you are giving me I have to decide if I will sit before the beginning of June or not!

For your information I can not start preparing before mid of March!!

Thanks for your answer in advance.

Dutch

unsupported
      Participant

Welcome to the forum.  I think your question may have gotten a better response if you posted a new topic, but we can also just hijack this thread.

It took me about 4 months to study for the CEH V5.  I read two books (listed in the previous comments) and setup my own patch work lab.  Judging by the certifications you all ready hold, I would suggest that you should be able to be ready by June if you started mid March.

Differences in objectives between V5 and V6.  It is my understanding there are no differences on the test itself.  The major differences are with the training materials that EC-Council provides.  V6 has in-depth hands on lab/self study exercises.  The test, as far as I understand, is the same.

Good luck and please stick around. 

caissyd
      Participant

I passed the CEHv6 exam a week ago after failing my first attempt in November.

For my first try, I studied the CEHv5 materials thinking it would be ok. In fact, by using the “Official Certified Ethical Hacker Review Guide” (as pointed out on EC-Council web site), I though that by understanding very, very well the content of this book, I would be fine.

But, the CEHv6 exam is a new one. I have discovered AFTER I only got 65% on my first attempt that CNDA and CEH use the same exam. On the EC-Council web site, you can read:

How different is the exam compared to CEH? Except the title difference, the content of the exam is 100% same as CEH exam. There is no difference other than the exam title difference. You can use CEH exam preparation guides for this exam too.

http://www.eccouncil.org/certification/certified_network_defense_architect.aspx

So, my understanding is that there are way more questions about system admin, Active Directory and so on in the CEHv6 than in the CEHv5. And don’t gt me wrong, I have studied like hell for my first attempt (learning about 220 tools, virus, worms, etc!). But I only got about 37 questions about what I studied th most…  :'(

Anyway, if you download the CEH course brochure (PDF under the resource tab on their web site) and you understand them well, you should be ok.

Don’t bother learning tons of port numbers for virus, trojans and worms, it is not worth it for the exam (countless hours of my life that will never come back…).

Good luck!

PS: It was sweet to past it the second time around…  ;D

UNIX
      Participant

As unsupported already wrote, the exam objectives from V6 are the same as in V5. There are additional modules in V6, though they are only self-study ones and are not necessary for the exam to pass.

virtualwolf
      Participant

Where is a good place to start learning hexadecimal? Is there much of it on the exam?

UNIX
      Participant

Well, even Wikipedia should be enough for this. As a CEH one should be able to use Google as well. 😉

As I said – if you have any specific question about it, feel free to ask, though I am sure you’ll understand everything if you had a closer look at it.

I don’t think that there will be many questions on the exam about hexadecimal stuff.

hayabusa
      Participant

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=learn+hexadecimal

As awesec implied as well, there really weren’t any hexadecimal-specific questions that I hit on my CEH exam, and really, without more ‘specific’ questions for us, all we can really do is tell you to Google it.  You’ll find PLENTY of sites to explain / teach hexadecimal and conversions to read through.  As a pentester, you’ll do a lot of self-research on such topics.

We’re happy to help, if you find something specific to ask about, so if you have a specific question for us, ask away!

Dutchie
      Participant

All,

Thanks for your replies! I appreciated it!

Hit Monkey congratz with passing!

Greetz,

BillV
      Participant

@virtualwolf wrote:

Where is a good place to start learning hexadecimal? Is there much of it on the exam?

I don’t recall any hex on the exam. I think it was CEH that has the question about converting an IP into decimal though (URL obfuscation).

unsupported
      Participant

I feel that there was a question on the CEH, similar to what BillV experienced with URL obfuscation.  It is not a major factor on the test, but useful to know!

SANS has a little HEX quiz on their website (http://www.sans.org/security-training/hexquiz.pdf).  Maybe you should review that for some useful things to keep in mind/check your hex skillz.  The answers are here (http://www.sans.org/security-training/hexquiz_answers.pdf).

h0les
      Participant

One of the first hits for hexidecimal in google. Very handy conversion chart. Could have done with this a while ago.

http://www.networkintrusion.co.uk/protocols/pd … _Table.pdf

hayabusa
      Participant

Maybe it’s just me today… I’m getting an http 403 error on that link… I’ll have to see if someone else has that same document posted elsewhere.  I always like to add documents to my library, for helping out other folks, and I know a few who could probably use something handy like it (once I see what it is…….. darned 403)  Thankfully, I’m doing alright in the hex department, myself.  But thanks for a useful link (if I can hit it)

h0les
      Participant

I just had the same issue, thought was very strange after i was just on that page! I think it must be looking at the referrer. If you just copy and paste that link into a browser it should work.

h0les
      Participant
      unsupported
      Participant

Thanks for the links, these will help me with my GCIA!

Ravenquille
      Participant

How much does the CEH exam cost?

Ravenquille

h0les
      Participant

Thanks for the links, these will help me with my GCIA!

You may or may not have these which could be of use.

http://blog.securitymonks.com/2009/08/15/whats-in-your-folder-security-cheat-sheets/

UNIX
      Participant

@Ravenquille wrote:

How much does the CEH exam cost?

Ravenquille

USD 250..

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2020 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?