LulzSec releases hundreds of confidential documents from AZ police…

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      jsm725
      Participant

…apparently in protest of the immigration law passed last year.

http://gizmodo.com/5815031/lulzsec-dumps-classified-arizona-police-documents

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

Not judging anyone’s personal decisions, but let’s remember that, like the rest of this site, this board if for Ethical Hacktivism. I don’t think anyone would argue with the fact that what they are doing is illegal.

I guess the point of trying to have an ‘ethical’ hacktivism board is to encourage people to protest and make their voices heard while still remaining legal.

Don

jsm725
      Participant

Yeah I probably went a little overboard with the LulzSec posts… :-[. I guess my point was to drive conversation about what we are considering ethical hacktivism. I agree what LulzSec is doing in illegal. But wasn’t it also illegal to set up proxy servers that allowed the Egyptian protestors to coordinate using facebook and twitter. They were violating the law of the land to facilitate their right to protest. Do we consider that ethical hacktivism? How do we protest in the digital era? Is there even such a thing as ethical hacktivism if a “hack” is considered an act of war?

El33tsamurai
      Participant

@don wrote:

Not judging anyone’s personal decisions, but let’s remember that, like the rest of this site, this board if for Ethical Hacktivism. I don’t think anyone would argue with the fact that what they are doing is illegal.

I guess the point of trying to have an ‘ethical’ hacktivism board is to encourage people to protest and make their voices heard while still remaining legal.

Don

I agree with you, posting this info is just the first step into who knows what its eventually going to get to the names of the people that took out Osama.  These people feel its important for everyone to have this info, I feel its going to eventually going to get good people killed.

lorddicranius
      Participant

@jsm725 wrote:

How do we protest in the digital era? Is there even such a thing as ethical hacktivism if a “hack” is considered an act of war?

These are very valid questions.  This is the main issue I have when people use a black/white definition when it comes to defining “ethical”.  I usually find that when people refer to “ethical hacker” they mean “lawful hacker.”  But not everything that is lawful is going to necessarily be ethical.  Case in point being the exact example jsm725 gave: setting up of proxy servers for Egyptian protesters.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2021 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?