Job Interview/Info Gathering

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      BillV
      Participant

Howdy,

I have a job interview tomorrow for a network and security admin position and the job description includes some stuff about securing the network and customer data and being passionate about maintaining a security culture.

I’m wondering if it’s acceptable to do some quick “information gathering” to get whatever information I can about the company/network/employees to bring in to show (if it highlights some vulnerabilities). Has anyone done this for an interview before? Any other thoughts?

Thanks! 🙂

Ketchup
      Participant

I think that’s a hit or miss thing, depending on the people doing the interviewing.  I would probably hesitate to do anything but basic information gathering that would allow you to ask intelligent questions.  You just never know how the person on the other side of the table would react if you present them with a vulnerability.  He or she may be thankful and impressed, or they may decided that you are not to be trusted. 

unsupported
      Participant

I would limit the information gathering to passive only (registrar info, job posting details, LinkedIn, Facebook, whatever).  Do not go scanning their entire network or anything crazy.  Remember that you should not be accessing anything you do not have permission to!

BillV
      Participant

Right, definitely nothing beyond basic stuff… browsing the website, checking domains/IP ranges for other stuff that might be sitting around, archive.org, etc. Nothing active.

But yeah, I was kind of thinking the same thing. Thought I’d run it by everyone else to get a few opinions. Thanks

BillV
      Participant

Haha, I was waiting to see if someone was going to jump on me for that 🙂 While I was replying to Ketchup I was thinking I should have more clearly stated that I would not be scanning, or anything of the sort.

rattis
      Participant

BillV,

Isn’t it kind of accepted that you look for as much public information on a company before the interview? It shows an actual interest in the company? I think the information showing the vulnerabilities would be more useful your first week of work.

However remember what we think of a security culture isn’t what all businesses think of as a security culture. Some places, it means actually protecting the data, and others it means not letting the users put the work related data on facebook.

impelse
      Participant

When I got interviews and they knew that I checked their web sites and other information, they feel good because I did the homework.

UNIX
      Participant

I second Ketchup’s post, ifthe question was about active scanning etc. It could go both ways.
      As you wrote that you meant only public information, I see no reason why this should not be a good idea. As chrisj already wrote, I too think that it is part of the usual process one should do before going to an interview.

How did it go? 🙂

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

I know the interview is today and there’s no time to do what I’m about to suggest, so I’ll simply say good luck for now, Bill.

Something I’ve done in the past that really opens eyes is to make a plan for the company and present it in the interview. It’s almost like using the same mindset as salesmen when they assume the close. Go into the interview as if you are already an employee, and this is not an interview yet a meeting to go over your project plans to better the security posture of ‘our’ company.

I did an entire PPT with publicly available info about the company, what my plans were, expectations and projections. It all goes along with the theory that it’s great to show employers what you’ve done in the past, but it’s vastly more important to show them what you’ll do for them in the future.

In the end, they went with an internal candidate and passed me over. But that preso made such an impression that months later they contacted me for contract work.

Hope this helps to inspire all of you to think creatively to get your resume to the top of the stack and your name remembered long after the interview is over.

Don

rattis
      Participant

But how do they do that when they throw a curve at you Don? I applied for one position, but the company wants to talk to me about another one, and I know nothing about it.

That does sound like a good idea if you have the time to pull it off. I’m going to have to remember that.

BillV
      Participant

Thanks everyone 🙂 I didn’t end up bringing anything up in the interview. I did find and learn quite a bit of information about the company though. They’re fairly younger and pretty laid-back – most people were walking around in jeans and a sweatshirt. There was a ping pong table and pool table near the front doors and some guys playing a Wii on a big flat panel tv. Seemed like a pretty cool atmosphere.

Don – sounds like a pretty nifty idea. Similar to what I was thinking but definitely taken further to the next level.

The interview went pretty well (I think). I was put in front of 3 different people – an internal trainer, an HR rep. and the manager I’d be working for. The trainer had a laptop setup connected to an ext. monitor so he could ask me to perform some [pretty simple] tasks and watch what I was doing. He had some real basic technical questions. The HR person asked their typical stuff – why do you want to work here? what do you like about IT? etc. The manager mixed it up with a little of both and went a little deeper with technical questions but nothing too bad.

They said I should hear something either way in about 1-2 weeks, they still have a couple more interviews today and next week. I guess the good thing is that I’m not really in a position where I need this since I do have a job – it’s just boring 🙂

Thanks again!

unsupported
      Participant

Good luck!!!  Break a leg.. something like that.

Also, sorry about the active scanning comment.  I know you know better.  I did not realize it was you in the original post.  At first glance, I thought you were a newb. 😉

Ketchup
      Participant

Bill, glad the interview went well!  Good luck to you.  Hopefully you will post again when you get this job 🙂

BillV
      Participant

@unsupported wrote:

Good luck!!!  Break a leg.. something like that.

Also, sorry about the active scanning comment.  I know you know better.  I did not realize it was you in the original post.  At first glance, I thought you were a newb. 😉

Haha! It’s all good, I still think I’m a newb ;D

Thanks guys, will post an update when I have one.

UNIX
      Participant

Glad it went fine. Keep us updated. 😉

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2021 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?