Is python needed? Bash enough?

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author
      sternone
      Participant

Hi, I’m waiting to start and I’m scheduled for Saturday to start with the OSCP. What a long wait !!!

My questions: I know Bash Programming and I’m wondering, is it really needed to pick up Python to have no problems in the course? Can you easily succeed with making your scripts in bash instead of using Python ?

If needed and I get some confirmations from people here I’ll just heads down Python until I get the docs on Saturday.

Great forum here,

Thanks

Catalyst256
      Participant

I’ve been on the OSCP course for a couple of weeks, so far I’ve only used a little python and mostly bash scripts. From what I’ve seen any python you need you should be able to find on Google so I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

Jamie.R
      Participant

I recently attened a con in the UK and Python was the top thing to learn. the survey was done by pentester and he asked other pen testers.

This maybe useful :
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSrF3VGUrR0

Catalyst256
      Participant

Was that’s Robin’s talk on “Breaking into Security”?? It was a good talk and long term learning a programming language is a good idea (I’m learning python) but for the OSCP course I don’t think it’s something to worry too much about.

RoleReversal
      Participant

Unless the material has changed since I did offsec, you will need python for some of the fuzzing/BO modules/challenges, so spend time going through the (good) introduction videos and lab notes.

Don’t worry about it too much though, if you can understand the code enough to edit the examples to suit your purpose it should be sufficient. If you’ve already got a good handle on the bash side you should be fine.

Jamie.R
      Participant

Yah it was Robin talk it was very good and shocking at same time as was not expecting the result he got.

sternone
      Participant

Thanks Folks! Watching Robin Wood now !

cd1zz
      Participant

Whatever it takes to get the job done!

Just be able to read python and know what is going on in an exploit script.

Jamie.R
      Participant

I think its good idea to know python

securitytube offer a course there is also a website called codeacademy or somthing that offer free course too.

shadowzero
      Participant

Python is easy enough to pick up that you should learn it anyway. You probably won’t need anything overly advanced, but you should be able to write some simple scripts that use sockets.

ZeroOne
      Participant

I mainly program in Java and C.. when first looking at Python, seriously its ridiculously  easy, at the same time it helps a lot. in other words, its a bonus! the only thing I am not sure about is bash. It would be great if someone could provide some links for that

DragonGorge
      Participant

I’d recommend at least a peripheral understanding of python. You don’t need to be fluent but a lot of the material in OSCP is in python as are the exploits in backtrack.

A high level search of the exploitdb in backtrack showed that there are roughly 2000 in c and 900 a piece for python & ruby.

YuckTheFankees
      Participant
      Jamie.R
      Participant

Some grest resources there YuckTheFankees There are lots more online too.

sternone
      Participant

Thanks, I picked up that Python step by step and it’s ok. The sockets implementation on Python is really a great thing and very useful.

Jamie.R
      Participant

What the best resource for python ? I am looking for really good resouce to learn python I would perfer video that I can download but if anyone can recommened a book

shadowzero
      Participant

@Jamie.R wrote:

What the best resource for python ? I am looking for really good resouce to learn python I would perfer video that I can download but if anyone can recommened a book

If you’re familiar with other programming languages it’s easy enough to learn. I think I got a copy of O’Reilly’s Learning Python when I first started out, read the first few chapters, and just used the rest for reference. If I remember correctly it was a pretty decent book.

If you’re looking for videos, Google’s Code University has some lectures: http://code.google.com/edu/languages/google-python-class/index.html

Jamie.R
      Participant

Thanks does anyone know a good script to grab youtube vids so i can put them on laptop?

m0wgli
      Participant

@Jamie.R wrote:

Haven’t you started SecurityTube’s Python Scripting Expert? Your post has concerned me a little as I want to learn Python and was considering this course.

SecurityTube’s site says “Module 1 of the course is meant for students who have very little or no programming experience before. We go really slowly on the basics of the language so you can pick up the essential programming skills before venturing to the more difficult modules”.

Is this a fair assessment in your opinion or would I be better off learning some Python from some of the recommendations in this thread before starting it?

Jamie.R
      Participant

I have started that course and its good course. However it does not cover all aspect of python and just want build my skills up the best I can to have really good understadning of python.

dynamik
      Participant

@m0wgli wrote:

Is this a fair assessment in your opinion or would I be better off learning some Python from some of the recommendations in this thread before starting it?

I haven’t completed it yet, but the Security Tube course has been pretty solid so far.

If you’re just getting started, you might want to run through these resources quickly first:
      http://code.google.com/edu/languages/google-python-class/
      http://learnpythonthehardway.org/

However, if you can follow along with everything in the videos, I don’t really see a need to break away from them and go through another resource.

http://www.udacity.com has a lot of Python-based programming courses that help you apply your knowledge in some interesting scenarios.

Jamie.R
      Participant

Yah to be fair I suck big time at coding I dont get why as much as I understand all the concepts when it comes to writing code i just get brain freeze and go now where that y I trying get many resource as I can so I jsut read and read and watch and I hope it help me code

m0wgli
      Participant

Thanks for the responses.

@ajohnson wrote:

However, if you can follow along with everything in the videos, I don’t really see a need to break away from them and go through another resource.

In that case then I’ll probably just go straight for the SPSE and break out into those resources if required.

Jamie.R
      Participant

Yah my plan is to do paython then OSCP unless I win it from here then that may change hint hint wink wink lol

jjwinter
      Participant

@Jamie.R wrote:

I have started that course and its good course. However it does not cover all aspect of python and just want build my skills up the best I can to have really good understadning of python.

I’ve started the MIT series on Python as well. I took Pascal about 25 years ago, and knew some BASIC before that…. so starting from scratch is kinda necessary for me. Thanks for the excellent link.

Yet
      Participant

Wow thanks for sharing of this link i guess i would have to stick to that site to learn .

@ajohnson wrote:

@m0wgli wrote:

I haven’t completed it yet, but the Security Tube course has been pretty solid so far.

If you’re just getting started, you might want to run through these resources quickly first:
      http://code.google.com/edu/languages/google-python-class/
      http://learnpythonthehardway.org/

http://www.udacity.com has a lot of Python-based programming courses that help you apply your knowledge in some interesting scenarios.

Jamie.R
      Participant

Yeah thanks for the links lots good resources about to learn python.

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2020 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?