Is it a mistake

Viewing 59 reply threads
  • Author
      Joshsevo
      Participant

So I just graduated this past saturday with my BA in Network Security & Forensics  I am thinking of not going applying at any jobs for the time being.

Reason I decided on this is because in the past the jobs that I have applied for have gotten no either response to my resume or just contacted at all about it.

My resume isn’t impressive (one reason why I am waiting) is because I only have my Security+.  So most IT jobs want certs and experience. I have an internship for the past yr doing Forensics as well as having a clearance from my time in the Navy.  But still no hits, no offers for an interview, nothing.

So until I get the certs I am aiming for i have no reason to apply at any jobs.  Is this a bad decision on my part?

I am able to move anywhere within the dop of a hat for a job but nobody is giving me a chance…yet.

Here are the certs I wil l get by October..then I will apply at every job I can find

CEH & CPT(attending the Infosec class in Aug/Sept)
      Network+ (should get this one by Aug 101th
      CCE
      CHFI (last one to get)
      GCFE have to take the test by Sept 19th

Once I have these I feel I will be better suited to apply at jobs than I currently am now

El33tsamurai
      Participant

What have you used in the past to apply?  Did they not offer you a job where you were doing your internship?  Are you using a cover letter? 

rattis
      Participant

putting your degree on your resume will help, and might get you some hits.

Joshsevo
      Participant

El33,  I have used the job searching sites, Monster, Dice, Clearedjobs, USAjobs, Glass Door, Indeed, as well as going onto indivual companies like Lockheed, Boeing, FBI, NSA, CIA etc to search for jobs.

My internship is a one man show.  Former US Customs Special agent that went private and doesn’t want another person.  So I left it at that and never bothered to ask if he would hire me. Besides he told me he likes working alone.

I do have my BA on my resume and my clearance and my Sec+, still nothing.

It sucks cause once my school loans kick in I won’t be able to afford them with my current financial situation.

lorddicranius
      Participant

I read this and immediately thought of infosecleaders.com.  Mike Murray and Lee Kushner run the site over there, post lots of good info on getting into an infosec career and answering email questions.  Good knowledge between those two with Mike having many years working in the industry and Lee being an infosec recruiter for many years.  Sending them your question might be beneficial to you also.

But yeah, I really don’t like that vicious cycle: to get hired you need the experience, but to get the experience you need to be hired…ugh.  Maybe getting into a lower level IT job would help.  Although, it sounds like you’re trying to get into the forensics side of the house and I’m not sure of the “job ladder” there, if there are “lower level” positions (I’m in networking).

BillV
      Participant

What sort of jobs have you been applying to? What are you looking for/to do?

If the post above is correct about forensics, check with your local law enforcement for an unpaid internship and let them know you’re willing to do the “grunt” work to gain some further experience in the field.

Joshsevo
      Participant

I will definetly check the link out.  My internship is unpaid and a hell of a drive 35 miles.  In CO that’s a far drive…LOL for a job that is.

I’ve checked with the local law enforcement offices already such as the RCFL Rocky Forensics Labs and independant Police stations.  ya good luck getting in contact with them…they never respond to emails or pick up the phones posted on their site.

Since my degree is Network Security and Forensics I am open to either one and I know that they  overlap each other considerably.  But if I wanted to only go for Forensics then it mkaes my job much harder cause there is less jobs and a smaller community.  SO I am open to anything, anywhere in the world.

Funny part is I have applied at help desk jobs, entry level jobs, networking jobs…Nothing.  I am a bit frustrated but not to the poing of giving up.  I have these certs to keep me occupied and then once I have them if I still don’t get a job then I will be upset and move into middle managemnt at Target.  LOL.

My family needs me to have a full time job so quitting my job and going to a unpaid internship is out of the question.  I have two jobs technically.  My FT job doing tech support for a company that does lasers but then I have my intership when I get off work I go there for a few hrs….Then up until I grauated I was goin to school full time also.

El33tsamurai
      Participant

@Joshsevo wrote:

El33,  I have used the job searching sites, Monster, Dice, Clearedjobs, USAjobs, Glass Door, Indeed, as well as going onto indivual companies like Lockheed, Boeing, FBI, NSA, CIA etc to search for jobs.

My internship is a one man show.  Former US Customs Special agent that went private and doesn’t want another person.  So I left it at that and never bothered to ask if he would hire me. Besides he told me he likes working alone.

I do have my BA on my resume and my clearance and my Sec+, still nothing.

It sucks cause once my school loans kick in I won’t be able to afford them with my current financial situation.

Did you utilize the career services at the school that you attended?  I thought my resume was good and then they looked at it and man its a gold mine now, if you did not you might want to try to make a meeting with them and utilize them.  This was part of my last class which was a Capstone class that we had to incorporate everything we learnt and a resume was part of the class, did you do something like this? 

Joshsevo
      Participant

Oh ya, got an A in that class, it was called Career Development.  Even did a mock interview.  Career services helps me and my school has tons of job, mostly programming but other jobs.  I just looked at their boards yesterday and have 173 pages of jobs in the US but only 30 jobs in Colorado where I live, mostly programming.  I will not take a programming job under any circumstance..

It’s soemthing I will utilize more once I have more certifications but as of now, the feedback I have gotten has been negative or none at all.  What I mean by negative was “your reusme is impressive but we are going with someone else”.

So the only way that I can beat out you (other college grad) is to have more certs than them, making me look better and then getting my foot in the door with an interview.

El33tsamurai
      Participant

Don’t mean to sound rude but don’t count on that 100% might back fire on you.  Have you tried the school systems around you?  Are there ways for you to network around your area?  Can you work at the school you went to?  Can’t just apply online you have to dress up and go to these places and look.  Have to show you are aggressive and you want the job.  Why did you chose to inter with a one man show?  Did the other school not have other options for you?

rattis
      Participant

programming jobs aren’t all that bad. I lived as a database report programmer for a year.

Depending on the type of programming it will help you hone your business skills. Remember, being able to hire people capable of only tech is easy. They’re a dime a dozen. A person that can understand what’s driving the business and make the tech fit, worth their weight in platinum.

El33tsamurai
      Participant

@chrisj wrote:

programming jobs aren’t all that bad. I lived as a database report programmer for a year.

Depending on the type of programming it will help you hone your business skills. Remember, being able to hire people capable of only tech is easy. They’re a dime a dozen. A person that can understand what’s driving the business and make the tech fit, worth their weight in platinum.

I agree on this as well, you take what you can get and make the best of it.  I took a Oracle data basing job thinking to myself whee is this going to get me.  Well turned out had the networking guys on my left and the Info sec guys on my right and man did I learn alot.  You never know where a job is going to take you :-D.

Joshsevo
      Participant

@chrisj wrote:

Sorry, I hate programming so much. I struggled with it so much and have no desire to do it at all.  Besides I have a good job where I never will get fired, paid benfits so why would I go to a job where programmers are a dime a dozen and get fired a month after getting hired for not being able to make a program run properly.  Just not a smart finanacial move with a family.

In regards to networking.  What other suggestions do suggest?  I am a recent member to Infagard (the FBI’s network Security group), Linkedin is on my profile. I send random invites to people I don’t know to network with them.  So what other types can I do.  I’ve heard of blogging about me and my stuff.  But I am studyingfor the NET+ so why blog about it and it seems silly but may work.

The reason I took the intern with the one man show is the other intern I had didnt work with my hours.  I tried working with their hrs but they didn;t want to return my calls to come down or my emails so I don;t know happened so I found another one through my brother in law who is an investigator in for the DA’s office. I work FT Mon-Fri 8-5 and since it was a Forensics intern I could not touch anything or work alone without being certified in CCE.  Which I took the test and failed miserably.

The reason I am trying to get my NET+ is there are more jobs that are looking for this cert and then that will allow me to get a better job with different hours that I can then do my internship on a more regular basis while getting the on hands experience I so desire.

El33tsamurai
      Participant

@Joshsevo wrote:

@chrisj wrote:

Sorry, I hate programming so much. I struggled with it so much and have no desire to do it at all.  Besides I have a good job where I never will get fired, paid benfits so why would I go to a job where programmers are a dime a dozen and get fired a month after getting hired for not being able to make a program run properly.  Just not a smart finanacial move with a family.

In regards to networking.  What other suggestions do suggest?  I am a recent member to Infagard (the FBI’s network Security group), Linkedin is on my profile. I send random invites to people I don’t know to network with them.  So what other types can I do.  I’ve heard of blogging about me and my stuff.  But I am studyingfor the NET+ so why blog about it and it seems silly but may work.

The reason I took the intern with the one man show is the other intern I had didnt work with my hours.  I tried working with their hrs but they didn;t want to return my calls to come down or my emails so I don;t know happened so I found another one through my brother in law who is an investigator in for the DA’s office. I work FT Mon-Fri 8-5 and since it was a Forensics intern I could not touch anything or work alone without being certified in CCE.  Which I took the test and failed miserably.

The reason I am trying to get my NET+ is there are more jobs that are looking for this cert and then that will allow me to get a better job with different hours that I can then do my internship on a more regular basis while getting the on hands experience I so desire.

First man if you want in to field you have to take risks not count on your cozy job.  Second you don’t know that, ask them what they expect the more you work with it the more you will learn, maybe you take the job and get you info sec job a few months later because you showed you dedication and help the right people at the company know what i mean?

Adding random people on Lunkedin is a start but man you have to get out in your community, go to local business and ask to speak to the head of the IT department: Hey I am new to the field just stopping by to see if you have any jobs or know any one that does.  This way they have a name with a face so when they see resumes they will remember you.  You have to get out there and show CO you passion to be a info sec person.

The DA has IT right, hit up the bro in law and ask him to sniff around to get you a job there?  Maybe you can work for them on weekends.  How did you study for the CCE?  Did the guy at the intern place help you?  Are you going to take it again?

Joshsevo
      Participant

Yes I will be taking the cce again. Actually shortly. It was rough to study for as there is very limited stuff they tell you and the written exam has nothing to do with the material they said to study.. then there is the 3 practical which you cant study for. It’s either you know the stuff it you don’t. It all about doing an investigation. My intern was not the same one that i have now and no they didnt teach me anything to help me.

So what your saying is, that you think me not applying for jobs until September is a bad idea. That’s the question I asked in the beginning.

El33tsamurai
      Participant

I would say yeah to that question

jimjohnson23
      Participant

@El33tsamurai wrote:

I agree on this as well, you take what you can get and make the best of it.  I took a Oracle data basing job thinking to myself whee is this going to get me.  Well turned out had the networking guys on my left and the Info sec guys on my right and man did I learn alot.  You never know where a job is going to take you :-D.

I’m actually thinking about going this route: the database route, instead of the graduate and go straight into infosec route. I’m hoping that I can go the database developer –> dba route, and perhaps pick up a lot of networking tasks on the job.

Do you think that some of your co-workers would be willing to let you “shadow” them while they’re trying to configure and install things overnight? What specifically have you learned from these guys? Thank!

jimjohnson23
      Participant

@El33tsamurai wrote:

Adding random people on Lunkedin is a start but man you have to get out in your community, go to local business and ask to speak to the head of the IT department: Hey I am new to the field just stopping by to see if you have any jobs or know any one that does.  This way they have a name with a face so when they see resumes they will remember you.  You have to get out there and show CO you passion to be a info sec person.

I’m literally considering doing this every weekend – like map out every company that would have anything that resembles an IT department, visit them, and ask them for a job or connect me with people.

But what do you suggest me to wear??
      What do you think is a good opening line and small talk topic?
      I’m sort of socially awkward >.<

Joshsevo
      Participant

Awkward as in..you have a large unsightly growth on your neck that I would stare at while you talk to me. lol,jk

Joshsevo
      Participant

OK guys here’s what I am willing to do and to show proof I will put up my CV that I just typed up a few mins ago.  I have many copies but it needed to be redone as I recently graduated a few days ago.

I will apply for all the jobs I can on the mentioned boards…Monster, Dice, Indeed, etc… and see where it gets me.

If you think I should change something on my CV let me know.  I will listen and see if they fit.

Here’s my CV,

Dear hiring manager:
      I am currently a recent graduate with a Bachelors degree in Computer Information systems with dual majors, Computer Forensics & Network Security.  For the past year I’ve had a internship with a local Computer Forensics firm where I handled cases that ranged from fraud, company espionage, to Child Exploitation.

Throughout the cases that I worked on I was tasked with bookmarking suspected emails, documents, pictures as well as finding recent internet activity.  Then finding any links that associated the user to those links and the times they were accessed.  The software that was used to bookmark these pieces of evidence was FTK 3 and also EnCase.  Other software that was used in conjunction with the cases was FTK, Imager, FTK Registry viewer. 
      Other duties that I was tasked with was writing reports using MS Word 2010 (One note) and also using pre-made “search words” to look for the evidence left behind by the suspect.  Using the proper Chain of Custody during the acquisition and throughout the entire life of the case/HD is something that is second nature to me. 

I am currently Comptia Security+ certified and currently working on my CCE, CHFI, GCFE, CEH, CPT, Network+.  All at the same time.  I also currently have an Active Secret Clearance from the 5 years that I served in the United States Navy.  During my time in the Navy I was able to see many places but also they taught me how to be a leader and to excel in tough situations.  I was promoted to shop supervisor  as an E-4 and in charge of E-5 with 15 yrs of experience. 

I have been recently accepted into the FBI’s Infragard National Security Protection community which an FBI background check is required.
      I am willing to travel extensively and also relocate for the job if it requires it.
      May I arrange an interview to further discuss my qualifications?  I am available for an interview at a mutually convenient time.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
      Sincerely,
      XXXXXX

rattis
      Participant

@jimjohnson23 wrote:

Do you think that some of your co-workers would be willing to let you “shadow” them while they’re trying to configure and install things overnight? What specifically have you learned from these guys? Thank!

Depends on the co-worker and their views. I have one co-worker if you ask to shadow her, she stays home for a week until the work is done. I have another one that will say “Hey I’m doing this, go jump on this webex if you want to see it”.

Me, I’m the come here, sit down, now type what I tell you kind.

rattis
      Participant

@jimjohnson23 wrote:

I’m literally considering doing this every weekend – like map out every company that would have anything that resembles an IT department, visit them, and ask them for a job or connect me with people.

They tried pushing that on me in college, in the career building class. It’s a bit of bull really. All you do by showing up is anger people. It’s like cold calling but worse.

As for what to wear, full on business like a consultant trying to score a contract. Full suit if you can. Dress up nice. Dress shirt, tie, sports coat, nice slacks, polished shoes. You get the idea.

Really, start a blog and get on twitter. Start making friends on there. You’ll see people mentioning job postings all the time in the infosec community. See if you can get find a project that needs help.

Find Don’s invest in your self talk and listen to it.

Hit me up on twitter if you want. @rattis

rattis
      Participant

Having been a person who reviews the resumes, your cover letter would get ignored and if your resume didn’t scream teachable to me, I’d toss it.

It’s too generic. Really try to do some research on each company find out what they do and what they use, and focus it in on them.

El33tsamurai
      Participant

@jimjohnson23 wrote:

@El33tsamurai wrote:

I’m actually thinking about going this route: the database route, instead of the graduate and go straight into infosec route. I’m hoping that I can go the database developer –> dba route, and perhaps pick up a lot of networking tasks on the job.

Hell yeah if it means they produce more because you are helping dude trust me everyone eats up the new guy thats willing to learn everything.

El33tsamurai
      Participant

@jimjohnson23 wrote:

@El33tsamurai wrote:

Business casual but man going on the weekend is not a good idea, because the big guys are not going to be there.  If you can get a Wednesday or Thursday that might work better, I know you work full time but see what you can do.

Joshsevo
      Participant

On my old CV I had that I paid for the InfoSec institue class $3500 and the SANS 408 computer Forensics course $4000 out my own pocket, which I did cause I want to learn all this stuff. This showed desire and a wanting to learn at any cost. But I remved it and wrote this one last night as I felt it was rather dry and didn’t get any hits on it.  I even had it professionally written for me and still got nothing.

El33tsamurai
      Participant

@chrisj wrote:

@jimjohnson23 wrote:

They tried pushing that on me in college, in the career building class. It’s a bit of bull really. All you do by showing up is anger people. It’s like cold calling but worse.

I must disagree where I live IT people that I went around to ate it up they love it.

El33tsamurai
      Participant

@Joshsevo wrote:

On my old CV I had that I paid for the InfoSec institue class $3500 and the SANS 408 computer Forensics course $4000 out my own pocket, which I did cause I want to learn all this stuff. This showed desire and a wanting to learn at any cost. But I remved it and wrote this one last night as I felt it was rather dry and didn’t get any hits on it.  I even had it professionally written for me and still got nothing.

Your trying to get a job if you email them saying hey I paid this much for these certs they are going think ow a little rich boy why does she need this job? 

With your CV sorry dude but its going to be hard to find a full time job without the CCE.

Next having all of these: CCE, CHFI, GCFE, CEH, CPT, Network+ as the same time is like saying your going to Disney World and your going to ride all the rides at the same time.  What you want to do is say

RELEVANT CERTIFICATIONS
      • Secret Security Clearance
      • CompTIA: Security+
      These Certifications will be attained in the next 12 months.
      • Network+
      • CEH
      • CCE
      and so forth but saying you are working on the all at the same time people we start to think maybe this guy is a paper cert meaning you don’t know the stuff you just went to a site got the questions and took the test.  Its all about the wording, did you career people tell you that or did they sell you short?

May I arrange an interview to further discuss my qualifications?
      This line is iffy some might like it other might put you on the out pile.

I am not trying to be mean man please don’t take it that way I am just trying to help from my past experiences.

El33tsamurai
      Participant

@chrisj wrote:

Having been a person who reviews the resumes, your cover letter would get ignored and if your resume didn’t scream teachable to me, I’d toss it.

It’s too generic. Really try to do some research on each company find out what they do and what they use, and focus it in on them.

Agreed! The companies website is your best friend!

Joshsevo
      Participant

Not taking as offensive so keep the comments coming.  I can reword it so it sounds better. 

I will remove the last line about the interview, personally I never liked it as it sounded like I was being too pushy.

El33tsamurai
      Participant

Great

Joshsevo
      Participant

Here’s the new portion of my CV

Although I enjoyed my time at college, my graduation has allowed me to spend more time learning more about the field that I was able to before.  During my downtime I have been studying for my Network + certification and have set a high goal for myself to achieve a few more certifications related to the Computer Forensics and Network Security field.  My next few certifications that I will be aiming for are: CCE, CHFI, GCFE, CEH, CPT, ACE and also my EnCe.

El33tsamurai
      Participant

Want to give a time frame this will show you are goal orientated.

rattis
      Participant

I’ll send you one of mine when I get home. I usually write them fresh for every job, but I think I might have one or so saved somewhere. I usually get interviews. Or at least I did, when I was looking for a job.

El33tsamurai
      Participant

You mind hooking me up too, I will take knowledge where I can get it 😀

Joshsevo
      Participant

No don’t give it to this guy^^he’s trying to compete with for jobs.. jk

El33tsamurai
      Participant

I am on the other side of the country, so should not get in you way to much.  To bad you are not still in school, the DoD has a summer internship every year and most schools are involved.  Which I did and got to do a lot of networking.

Joshsevo
      Participant

Ya wont happen, even though I have a clearance my wife isn’t from this country so I had a DOD job lined up by a member on this forum but since she isn’t from here I got shot down by the security dept.  Kinda BS a bit because she’s been here for most of her life and we have been married for 6 yrs and have kid.  But whatever I guess, I wanted the job so bad but it needed a TS/SCI Full scope poly.

Besides I’ve applied at the NSA,CIA for the summer internts and since I am 32 and needed a certain $$ amount they did not accept me.

But I got an email from the CIA a few weeks ago and they said they are going to keep my resume if something comes up.

rattis
      Participant

Ok… This is an cold call one. Kind of. It was set up through an associate of mine. It actually took him 2 months of trying to get me to email the owner of the company. By then, my associate had talked me up enough that they had been waiting for it. The interview as a couple of hours long. I however had issue with the mail server getting emails from the hiring manager. Still do on occasion. I was really looking for more info of what to study than a job at the time.

I’ve done some editing.
      —-

REDACTED,

I was told to contact you by MY_ASSOCIATE. I’m a regular at LOCAL_SECURITY_GROUP, and currently looking to further my career. ASSOCIATE suggested that you would be a good person to talk to. He has spoken very highly of your company REDACTED_COMPANY.

I have a background in networking, firewalls, some wireless networking, and Linux administration. I have done some security auditing, mostly searches through logs for company policy violation. When I was contracted to LARGE_COMPANY, part of my duties was to do wireless audits of the FACILITIES.

I’m currently preparing to take Offensive Security’s WiFU class. I’m waiting on hardware to arrive prior to starting the course. I wrote a book review of Hacking for Dummies, 3rd edition, published by the Ethical Hacker’s network in April. The review is viewable at http://www.ethicalhacker.net/content/view/301/2/

I’m wondering if it would be possible to do lunch in the near future. I’d like to go over my skills and resume with you, get your opinion and if you know of any companies that may be interested in me.

Thank you,
      ME

Another one, again edited. Also lead to interviews.

====

Dear Ms. REDACTED_HEAD_HUNTER,

This is in regards to CONTRACT_HOUSE posting on Dice.com for a Network Engineer position in CITY STATE. Position ID: NUMBERS / Dice ID: MORE NUMBERS.

I have several years experience in planning, designing, implementing, managing and troubleshooting networks of various sizes. Most recently was the design of a network to go from 1 centralized location with data center at that location and two satellite offices, to a distributed network spread over five locations with a co-located data center. The design and implementation included several Cisco layer 2/3 switches and multiple Cisco ASA firewalls.

My CCNA expired in YEAR, when I took it in YEAR_TAKEN there were no expiration dates, and hold 2 current secuirty related certifications.

I look forward to speaking with you on this position in more detail, and how I could fit the HEAD_HUNTER’s client needs.

ME

Joshsevo
      Participant

These are good as well as the people that PM’d me about stuff.

Looking over these you are giving examples of individual jobs that you have done at one time or another. I have nothing like that related to anything IT. SO unless I pull stuff out my ass (which I won’t) I just have nothing. 

Also another thing to think about.  I am looking for any job.  I just talked to my school about a software testing job looking for bugs in new DB’s.  So I am stepping out the normal things I would apply for. 

But my point is that I need a resume that is just generic.  Aimed at any IT job cause if I go for this software job how is gonna look when I show them my resume and it shows nothing even closely related to the job description.  So it has to be a very general resume.  This is tough because a good HR person should be able to see right through this and the first time I get offered a Security or Forensics job I’m outta there and they may pick up on that and not hire me.

But we will see where this goes

rattis
      Participant

So pull on experiences from the classes. Worked in groups, talk about that. Tutored other students, talk about that. talk up the generalities about your internship. The point is, to find something they are doing, and drawing a line to something in your cover letter, so they’ll want to read your resume.

The one you had posted above, was too broad, and talked about more than you should have. What works for me in the Mid-West, is to treat it like an elevator pitch. You have 30 seconds to get their attention, if your lucky, 10 every other time.

Short, sweet, and pointed.  🙂

Joshsevo
      Participant

Ok, I will work on it some more.  The tips you gave me and the wording you did I looked at mine and worked on it.  I applied at a bunch of jobs last night and got one response already for a Computer Forensics job…..He said there was no way around the TS/SCI polygraph and since i don;t have it he couldn’t do anything with me.  I will email him again and ask him about my resume and what he thought about it.

Joshsevo
      Participant

So this guy and I have been talking through email and I aske dhim about my resume I sent him last night and he said other than one small part I would have been called in for an interview.  But since I don’t have a TS/SCI that’s the only reason he can’t.

So that was promising. 🙂  Looks like I am on the right track.

Joshsevo
      Participant

Had a few good opportunities pass me by.

One of the jobs that someone forwaded to me on here for a computer Forensics job in VA didn’t workout cause I didn;t have a TS/SCI clearance which I understood but I then asked him about my resume and what I should change and had I had a TS clearance would I have been called back for an interview. 

He replied that my reume was great and that I would have been at the top for the job.  He mentioned that as a recent graduate I need to get some certs to break into the community.  He gave some good insight and some tips but otherwise was a great canidate for the job.

So had a weird dream last night about me still being in the Navy and getting a TS clearance.  Weird I know.  Dream ended after getting it.

Joshsevo
      Participant

So I have an interview with a Data recovery firm here in town that does thing like physically fixing HDD’s and such.  But they are trying to get into the investigation side of things cause they use FTK & EnCe all the time to recover the data.

It’s seems interesting as they do all types of recoveries inlcuding RAIDS, servers.  Company is called Data Tech labs, Anyone heard of them?

Joshsevo
      Participant

So I had a memeber on here forward me a job that they were informed about from SANS.  I emailed the guy on the SANS email job posting,

Talked to him through email.  He really wanted to talk to me after answering a few questions.  Sent him my contact info.

never heard back>>>LOl thought he went on vacationas it was just around the 4th, still nothing.  Given up on this job

Also had a head hunter call me about a job in FT. Huccicia in AZ, they had a System Admin open for me but I declined it, even though it was an entry level sys admin spot I felt that moving to AZ was going to be a pain and getting a job that I truly wasn’t interested in (not security or Forensics) may make me miserable.  But the positions are always open down there so if I’m desperate I can call him back.

Joshsevo
      Participant

Have a phone interview with BEW Global here for a Network Security Analyst poistion that I applied for two months ago.  It’s somewhat local.  It’s a 45 min @ 70 mph drive with no traffic and I would hit traffic in AM everyday.  If they give me a shot.  I’m taking it and dealing with a crappy drive. New car!!! No more sticks for me.

MatP
      Participant

I drove 2 hours/day one-way (in good weather) for 6 months at a crappy paying help desk position, just for the experience and for the sake of not having a big empty gap on my resume (plus I needed the money :P). It was brutal but it was certainly better than nothing! Recently I was offered a better position/better pay at a better company, but I had to move. Luckily I was in a position to do so, now my commute is five minutes 😀

Good luck with the interview, hope you get it. It may be a terrible drive, but it’ll get you started! With a little experience and all the certs you’re planning on acquiring, you’ll be significantly more employable whenever you decide to move on 🙂

tturner
      Participant

Yeah when I made the switch from IT Director at a state hospital to a DR/IT Security Consultant role in state govt a few years back (Not what I do now) I had to drive about 2 hours (as well as take a pay cut) one way every day as well. It was the smartest thing I ever did. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices to realize your dreams. Now I’ll probably have to do that again as I try to transition from an internal security role to full-time external penetration tester since I probably won’t be able to jump straight to a senior level position. I do some side work now doing pentests but not enough to be the rockstar that most firms are looking for in a senior role. That’s the hard thing about moving from a Security or IT Generalist to a Security Specialist position.

Joshsevo
      Participant

So I had the interview.  Obviously I felt it went well.  It was a traveling field engineer position that delas with the DLP devices?  Does this sound correct?  I’ve applied with them before for other poistions as well but this is the first time I have been contacted about a job.  Pretty happy. 

Next step is they bring me down there and I go through the Guantlet of interviews were everyone gets to ask me questions.  Reminds me of my Navy days.

He said it’s like IPS and IDS except they are complinace driven.

They asked me about the drive and it will suck but it’s doable.  I may need ot fix my POS car up a bit so it’s 100% reliable or I can move out of my apt if they let me.

Keep my fingers crossed!!!

j0rDy
      Participant

sounds good josh! good luck with it!

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

I often say that sometimes one must do what they have to do in order to do what they want to do. Most who make this decision are much more happy… and successful… in the end.

Good luck,
      Don

Joshsevo
      Participant

So it’s been 6 days since i did the phone interview and have not heard anything.  I sent a Thank You email for giving me the opportunity.  Should emial him and ask if they have any info about getting a 2nd interview?  Or should I wait a little longer.

Anonymous
      Participant

Joshsevo I know from experience the guys who interview usually out doing pen test them self and it does take ages for them to get back to you.

I waited from 1 week with some companies to 1 month with others

Joshsevo
      Participant

So I have given up on that job that I had phone interview for.  It went good and I sent them an email asking for an update and they said they were still going through the process.  I emailed them again and have not got a response.

I suppose I am disappointed as I really wanted this job so bad.  Oh well, move on.

I also had a PM from a member on Forensics Focus and he stated he is having trouble getting a job with two of the biggest certs in the Forensics field which doesn’t bode well for me either.

MatP
      Participant

You should give them a call rather than communicating by e-mail 🙂

Joshsevo
      Participant

The job posting said no calls.

rattis
      Participant

I could be wrong, but that usually means don’t call us asking about the position or apply over the phone.

YuckTheFankees
      Participant

Were you able to attain the CPT and GCFE?

Joshsevo
      Participant

Um the CPT is not done and I suppose I am confused on how I am approaching this.  Do I use the cptvm1 to attack cptvm2?  If so then I was right in my thinking that I need to get the hacking tools loaded onto the cptvm1?  I did this but I am having problems executing the programs.  I may have to admit that I am over my head on this one.

The GFCE I bombed pretty.  It’s acutally rather funny how bad I did.  I had my book bookmarked with different things but the info was just over my head and I didn’t have enough time to go through everything.  It’s ok though.  I doubt I will ever try it again.  It’s not a “must have cert”.

Hows school going for you?  U are here in Colorado aren’t you?  I remember we spoke through email a few times.

Viewing 59 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2021 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?