Is EC-Council a credible organization?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  caissyd 8 years, 10 months ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #5998
     caissyd 
    Participant

    Hey,

    I was just reading about the LPT (Licensed Penetration Tester) certification on the EC-Council web site at http://www.eccouncil.org/certification/licensed_penetration_tester.aspx

    After quickly going through the content, I saw MANY typos and mistakes, for example, in the “Requirements” section:

    Asking the LPT certificate when applying for LPT…

    2. Achieve the EC-Council Certified Security Analyst (ECSA) certification. (Attach a copy of your ECSA/LPT and score transcript certificate with application)

    Shouldn’t this be criteria 6 instead of 5?

    5. Remit the required license fee payment of USD500.  The License is valid for two years. For subsequent renewals, you will need to pay USD250 per annual renewal. You can pay via http://eccouncil.org/orders.htm

    6. Provide documentation on criminal background check, or an authentication from an investigation agency absolving a criminal history. Click here for police verification in your country.

    7. Alternatively, candidates may sign a Declaration of No Criminal Convictions should they not be able to provide the required documentation as stated in Criteria 5 above. Kindly write in to certmanager@eccouncil.org for the declaration.

    In the “Benefits” section:

    EC-Council’s prestigious endorsement as a licensed penetration testing professional, allowing successful candidates to practise penetration testing and consulting internationally.

    Add this to the fact that I found 7 typos in my CEH exam. Worst of all, I had to apply twice for CEH because they lost my first application form…

    Am I the only one seeing these things?

  • #37519
     SephStorm 
    Participant

    Unfortunately no, you are not. However, I would say that they provide a good certification platform. People do learn from their classes and certs. They also offer a degree through their ECU program (I wish they would work an a BS level degree though).

    For instance, the Security|5 is an entry level security cert marketed towards companies to assist in employee security awareness. When I say this exam was entry level, I mean it. However, an employee who took the training seriously would be able to work more securely.

    The ENSA is a sysadmin network defense cert. and yet it seems to receive less push in the field than the CEH. I personally see network defense as at least as critical than offensive testing. Hense, it is very difficult to find ENSA study material. (My official courseware is outdated)

    Price: I would say EC-Council courseware is expensive.  This is to be expected with the massive books that they ship out. But it stopped me from ordering the updated ENSA courseware, and the official CEH material.

    I think also that some people have marked on CEH in the past for the images they use in their books and the certs, I think this has been fixed in the major courses.

    Ultimatly, The biggest thing for ECC is that I see many professionals have used it (CEH) as a launching point for their security careers. Many of the older versions had negative reviews, but I constantly see CEH as the second cert a pentester should aim for in the pursuit of knowledge.

  • #37520
     DrivinTin 
    Participant

    I have noticed several of their typos and mistakes, but they seem to be getting better.  I think it probably has  to do with who made things. They have several offices across the world, I am assuming that some stuff was able to sneak through unnoticed because of it.

    I have currently taken the CEH and ECSA and plan on doing their LPT program.  The reason I am doing their program is because I work for myself and the certs set me aside from other people. When dealing with upper level management they MIGHT have been given a list of what to work for, but sometimes not. So just having the Licensed Pen Tester makes them wonder, ‘why are these other guys not licensed?’

    In my opinion a certification is really what you make out of it.  I could honestly go get one of my friends that knows little about computers, shove them in front of some dump, and have them memorize for a day and go pass the test. That is the bad side that we all don’t talk about much, but we know it happens.  I think the EC-Council program has about the right price point, and phrasing in their tests, to keep just anyone going out to get certs with out some experience.

  • #37521
     caissyd 
    Participant

    Thank you both for your point of view.

    I guess they will reach a level of organization maturity soon. Their web site is completely different than what it used to be and this is a good thing. They just have to focus a bit more on quality now.

    I have heard good things about their courses and this is a big plus for them. But when I take $$$ out of my wallet and I see these typos and mistakes everywhere, I am hesitant to give them more money, especially when you look at their competition!!

    I may be old school, but in our field, the slightest mistake changes everything. It would be great if they could at least have someone review their site…

    But again, I guess they are improving.

  • #37522
     j0rDy 
    Participant

    @H1t M0nk3y wrote:

    Thank you both for your point of view.

    I guess they will reach a level of organization maturity soon. Their web site is completely different than what it used to be and this is a good thing. They just have to focus a bit more on quality now.

    I have heard good things about their courses and this is a big plus for them. But when I take $$$ out of my wallet and I see these typos and mistakes everywhere, I am hesitant to give them more money, especially when you look at their competition!!

    I may be old school, but in our field, the slightest mistake changes everything. It would be great if they could at least have someone review their site…

    But again, I guess they are improving.

    No, you are not. Remember we are all “researchers” in a very exact branch (the slightest mixup, for example a : for and a ; would have terrible consequences, i can name atleast one ;)) so we are expected to be precise, which we demand from them. like stated before in the other topic i like the fact they are doing a mayor overhaul (first the website, which has improved greatly, and now the CEH course). This gives not only the members a better feeling, but attracts new members also.

  • #37523
     RoleReversal 
    Participant

    @j0rdy wrote:

    […] like stated before in the other topic i like the fact they are doing a mayor overhaul […]

    unfortunately we’re all human (I’m assuming) and mistakes happen (as you’ve just proven).

    Not ideal, but that’s the way things are; there are worse things in life than a typo…

  • #37524
     caissyd 
    Participant

    there are worse things in life than a typo…

    Of course, and I don’t want to sound like I just complain about them. But pick any page on their site and you will find many “typos”… I really, really had an hard time registering for my CEH exam before and this left me with a bad taste in the mouth. Finally, you don’t get that with SANS, Offensive-Security, etc.

    So hence my question, if they are serious or just there to make money.

  • #37525
     j0rDy 
    Participant

    @andrew Waite wrote:

    @j0rdy wrote:

    […] like stated before in the other topic i like the fact they are doing a mayor overhaul […]

    unfortunately we’re all human (I’m assuming) and mistakes happen (as you’ve just proven).

    Not ideal, but that’s the way things are; there are worse things in life than a typo…

    Thank you, but i am just some human posting some lines (in English, which is not my native language) on some board, not a full certification representable institution/organisation ;)(which is written with an s in my dictionary, but both are accepted…so no harm, no foul  ;))

  • #37526
     whitesocks 
    Participant

    Hi there,
    about your question I would like to share my experience with EC-Council.
    Some years ago I was interested to represent and sell EC Council courses in Italy. To do that, I contacted the EC-Council Head Quarter who redirected me to their European representative (at date SSR-I).

    Since beginning I had many misunderstandings with this company (SSRI);  even that I started to sell their courses and indeed I sold them to some of the best training organizations here in Italy.

    I started a professional campaign to sell EC-Council trainings in all Italian territory, but as troubles with SSRI did not come to an end, I contacted EC Council again asking their help to define the question. I got the same response: I could only speak with SSRI as the only European agent they would recognize.

    To avoid further troubles asked also to EC-Council if I could order CEH course materials and vouchers from EC-Council international order page at 2 Checkout (http://www.eccouncil.org/orders.htm) but, via email, I still was instructed to order all materials from SSRI.

    I did it but SSRI, got the money, refused to send me vouchers for long time since I discovered they had lost EC-Council mandate (but this was not reported on the EC-Council web site, instead still SSRI were reported as their only European agent).

    So I went back to EC Council to ask for vouchers I had paid to their representative. Can you guess it? They refused to recognize any involvement in the question: so not only I had lost my money but my reputation was threatened by these people.

    So I ask you the question: Is EC-Council a credible organization?

  • #37527
     RoleReversal 
    Participant

    @j0rdy wrote:

    Thank you, but i am just some human posting some lines (in English, which is not my native language) on some board, not a full certification representable institution/organisation ;)(which is written with an s in my dictionary, but both are accepted…so no harm, no foul  ;))

    J0rdy, didn’t mean to cause offense (should think twice before posting off the cuff comments), just a post complaining about typos (and more) having typos made me chuckle.

    Mostly typos don’t bother me, but I agree that large organisations should probably be held to a higher standard than the rest of us. I know EC-Council used to have detractors complaining about some of the readability of both course material and exams, but I had thought that this was improving over time. Judging the comments in this thread I think I’m being fed incorrect info.

  • #37528
     caissyd 
    Participant

    just a post complaining about typos (and more) having typos made me chuckle

    Andrew, just to make it clear, if you look at my posts on this forum, I am not the kind of guy who complains all the time on little details, far from it! It is just that these typos reminded me of my registration process and all errors I have found in the exam.

    You didn’t have to answer if you felt it was just complaining…

    On the other hand, I could have been clearer… 😉

  • #37529
     RoleReversal 
    Participant

    @H1t M0nk3y wrote:

    You didn’t have to answer if you felt it was just complaining…

    And in hindsight, I shouldn’t have. I’ve already said I shouldn’t have made an off hand comment without thinking it through. It’s my own fault for trying to respond quickly before diving out the office after a long day.

    If I’ve caused any offense, that wasn’t my intention, hopefully if you look at my posts you’ll see the same. Suggest we draw a line and move on (sorry for jacking the thread), truce? 🙂

  • #37530
     caissyd 
    Participant

    All is good man!

    Anyway, you were a bit right, I was complaining a bit…  :-

    I will be more careful next time!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2019 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?