Insecure.org’s 2006 Top 100 Security Tools List Released

This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  hadariss 8 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
     Don Donzal 
    Keymaster

Below is the announcement from insecure.org’s head honcho, Fyodor:

After the tremendously successful 2000 and 2003 top security tools surveys, we are pleased to release our 2006 results at a brand new site: SecTools.Org. A record 3,243 Nmap users responded this year. Notable trends since 2003 include the rise in exploitation frameworks such as Metasploit, Impact, and Canvas; the increased popularity of wireless tools such as Kismet and Aircrack. 44 tools are new to the list. Security practitioners are encouraged to read the list and investigate tools they aren’t familiar with. You may find the little gem that you never knew you needed.

http://www.sectools.org

Don

Don Donzal 
    Keymaster

With the attention that tools get on this site, I thought I’d bring this site back up to the top. Great reference, highly recommended.

Feel free to start your own posts on tools from this list along with your experience and feedback.

Don

Negrita 
    Participant

Why don’t you just sticky the thread or make it an announcment?

Anonymous 
    Participant

I consider this list as a must read and every security professional really should at the very least be aware of these tools. Interesting that netcat is rated #4 on the list.

Don Donzal 
    Keymaster

Good suggestion. It’s now a sticky!

Don

Dr.Sneak 
    Participant

Yes it will definitely push the site to [glow=red,2,300]popularity[/glow] peak….
    Many of the Tools, the site recommends, could be found in the Backtrack 3 beta… yet waiting for the Final version to be released.

Its awesom that the Backtrack guys are continously putting things together

Anonymous 
    Participant

or you could install them yourself and  learn something

Clay Briggs 
    Participant

On the issue of tools, I notice that Nessus is #1 now… and is no longer free.  I was wondering what the current fav for non-pay to play was for vuln scanner.  I was looking at a nessus 2.2 fork named Open VAS that looked decent, but has anyone had any real world experience with it?  Or does anyone have any suggestions of other options?

oneeyedcarmen 
    Participant

Hehe…I was about to feel all important like I had a contribution when I read the first 2 sentences of your post, g00d_4sh, by telling you about OpenVAS…then I read more  :-

There’s actually a write-up on it (kind of) over on Darknet, and I’m waiting to hear some more feedback on it.

Clay Briggs 
    Participant

Yeah, I read that write up myself.  I have been perusing the papers on the project, and downloaded all the files which I will be installing on my debian server at home tonight to dork around with.  I just haven’t heard a lot about any other really viable options yet though personally.

shednik 
    Participant

Always a great list to keep checking  ;D

bery 
    Participant

useful info, thanks

hadariss 
    Participant

by far the best websites i have ever seen. all tools consolidated in one location.. thanks dude  ;D

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2019 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?