how the…

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      hb21l6
      Participant

Hello all, new here and currently reading up and whats needed for the CEH.

http://www.eccouncil.org/Course-Outline/Ethical%20Hacking%20and%20Countermeasures%20Course.htm

You can’t seriously learn all that in 5 days..
      With 15 years under my belt as a network admin in linux, sun sparc and windows, I now feel I dont even come close to meeting requirements.

urgh,, Where to start…

jason
      Participant

If you have no experience with the subject matter, you can’t learn it all in five days. You could memorize it, but that has limited utility.

If you take the v5 test, there are some really good study materials about, you can find them listed in some of the other posts on the subject. If you take the new v6 test, you’ll find fewer study materials out for it yet.

hb21l6
      Participant

I do have pen. testing experience. As I build enterprise networks, its part of my job to make sure they are secure externally and internally. i’m more interested in the methods of blackhats on what they look when they ‘try’ to hack my networks. If I understand what they look for, I can better protect my them.

As for internal, I try to lock down accounts / hardware as much as possible, still doesnt stop users bringing in pda’s etc..

I now have scripts polling switches for new mac addresses.
      Is it paranoia or over protection, I don’t know.. I like feeling safe.

jason
      Participant

Well it certainly sounds like you’re not starting from zero. It’s not the toughest cert test that I’ve ever taken, but it is a somewhat challenging range of material.

My advice for this is the same as for most any certification; study from as many different sources as you can reasonably get ahold of and work with practice questions/tests that use the same format as the real test. I imagine that you’ll be fine if you put the effort into prepping.

cleanwithit0607
      Participant

@hb21l6 wrote:

I do have pen. testing experience. As I build enterprise networks, its part of my job to make sure they are secure externally and internally. i’m more interested in the methods of blackhats on what they look when they ‘try’ to hack my networks. If I understand what they look for, I can better protect my them.

As for internal, I try to lock down accounts / hardware as much as possible, still doesnt stop users bringing in pda’s etc..

I now have scripts polling switches for new mac addresses.
      Is it paranoia or over protection, I don’t know.. I like feeling safe.

Hello hb21l6, Welcome to EH.net!

I wouldn’t bother with the five day boot-camp, until you feel you’re comfortable with the objectives for the CEH. Search around here for study material. Since you have experience in the field it shouldn’t take long for you to catch on.

Edit: Check out this thread http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,54/topic,3087.0/

hb21l6
      Participant

thanks both for the replys.

I’ll have a look at that link as well,
      Cheers

cleanwithit0607
      Participant

@hb21l6 wrote:

thanks both for the replys.

I’ll have a look at that link as well,
      Cheers

No problem, and Good luck to you!

If you have any questions I’m sure somebody will be glad to help 🙂

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2020 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?