How do I know if I am ready for ECSA?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  BillV 8 years, 1 month ago.

• Author
     caissyd 
    Participant

Hey,

I read all the posts about ECSA on the forum. I thinking in doing ECSA to get LPT.

I don’t want to take any course and I would like to study all by myself. I can buy the official courseware for $650, but after reading a bit on the web, I realize I should probably be fine without making big expenses.

So how do I know I am ready for this test?

Thanks

impelse 
    Participant

H1t M0nk3y  you inspire me, you never stop with certifications  ;D

BillV 
    Participant

ECSA covers modules 1 – 10.

If you did fine on CEH, ECSA should not be a problem.

caissyd 
    Participant

ECSA covers modules 1 – 10

The Exam 412-79 tests ECSA/LPT candidates on the following 35 domains.

@BillV: Which one is true?

@impelse: Certifications are a way to push myself to study more! I am like that, if I don’t set myself goals, I don’t do anything…  ;D

UNIX 
    Participant

For the ECSA exam you only need to know the first ten modules. 😉

caissyd 
    Participant

Thanks guys, I will keep you posted!

j0rDy 
    Participant

lol, i opted for this cert a few weeks ago, still waiting for green light to get started. Giving the experience with CEH, i think you (or we for that matter) will do just fine…

caissyd 
    Participant

Hey j0rDy!

When you say:

still waiting for green light

You mean your employer will pay for it, right? You didn’t mean EC-Council needs to approve you (looking at your experience) like for CISSP?

I was planning to study and just register for the exam, but I often miss these things…  😛

j0rDy 
    Participant

@H1t M0nk3y wrote:

Hey j0rDy!

When you say:

still waiting for green light

You mean your employer will pay for it, right? You didn’t mean EC-Council needs to approve you (looking at your experience) like for CISSP?

I was planning to study and just register for the exam, but I often miss these things…  😛

you, are right sir 🙂 i want to take the 6 day bootcamp that starts in october, if this is not possible i probably go for self-study also…

However i believe you take LPT and if you already have CEH you can apply for the ECSA title, with no extra effort!

UNIX 
    Participant

@j0rdy wrote:

However i believe you take LPT and if you already have CEH you can apply for the ECSA title, with no extra effort!

When you have received the ECSA you can apply for the LPT (background check + fee; no exam).

j0rDy 
    Participant

@awesec wrote:

@j0rdy wrote:

When you received the ECSA (where CEH is a prerequirement) you can apply for the LPT (background check + fee; no exam).

So the other way round, i always mix those two up. Thanks!

caissyd 
    Participant

I just tried to register for the exam with Prometric and guess what, they require an “EC-Council Authorization Code”.

I sent an email to EC-Council along with my CEH number. I will keep you guys posted on what is the registration process.

And again, the EC-Council web site doesn’t seem to say anything about this…

caissyd 
    Participant

Here is the response I got from EC-Council:

“Greetings from EC-Council, You can take the ECSA exam under self study mode. Please visit “https://www.eccouncil.org/certification/ec-council_certified_security_analyst.aspx”

IMPORTANT UPDATE as of Sept 1st , 2011: Effective Sept 1st, 2011, all exams on Prometric APTC and Pearson VUE channels will require a Non Refundable Eligibility Application Fee of USD 100.00. Please visit this link “http://iclass.eccouncil.org/index2.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=171” for the Eligibility Form. You would also need to pay USD100 for application of eligibility code. https://www.eccouncil.org/certification/exam_information/take_exam.aspx To make the payment, please go to http://www.eccouncil.org/orders.htm and choose product id 80 Vue Eligibility Application Fee or 81 Prometric APTC Eligibility Application Fee. (For payment related queries, please contact finance@eccouncil.org) Any inconvenience is greatly regretted.”

I will keep you guys posted on how the next steps go.

j0rDy 
    Participant

Keep me posted on the self-study experience, it seems my employer sees no benefit in me taking the ECSA course (they say my skills are already 1337 enough :D). Thinking about financing the self study course myself depending on the material (would like to see some technical background on the subjects) and additional costs (noticed the 100,- additional fee on the website).

sorry i’m not active lately (would love to take a shot at this months giveaway) but i broke my collarbone, so typing is kind of a hassle >:(

natv 
    Participant

I’ve been self-studying for the CEH and basically ready to take the exam soon, but I feel I want a deeper knowledge and am wondering if I should just review ESCA courseware and take the ESCA instead.

Do you think studying for ESCA will prepare me even better for CEH?

Is passing the CEH an absolute requirement in order to take the ESCA, I’m wondering if I should just skip the CEH exam and go directly to taking the ECSA exam (after studying for it of course)

The CEH is a more well known cert which is a consideration, but I don’t need it for my resume currently as I have a steady IT job now, and saving the $500 CEH exam fee would be nice.

(how much is the current ESCA exam fee by the way does anyone know?)

Thanks

BillV 
    Participant

@natv wrote:

Do you think studying for ESCA will prepare me even better for CEH?

No, it is the opposite. Studying for the CEH will better prepare you for the ECSA. Studying for the ECSA will not properly prepare you for the CEH.

@natv wrote:

Is passing the CEH an absolute requirement in order to take the ESCA, I’m wondering if I should just skip the CEH exam and go directly to taking the ECSA exam (after studying for it of course)

No, it is not a requirement to earn the ECSA. The only requirement for ECSA is passing the exam. It is required to have CEH and ECSA to earn LPT though.

@natv wrote:

(how much is the current ESCA exam fee by the way does anyone know?)

$300 I believe (+$100 application fee if selecting self-study)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2019 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?