Help Promote EH-Net

Viewing 43 reply threads
  • Author
      Don Donzal
      Keymaster

Now that we have seen traffic grow, it’s time to start getting the word out there about all of the great work that you guys do and pull more out of the woodworks. There are several ways to help our community grow. Here are just a few:

1. Vote for us using the links at the bottom of the right column. Progenic gives us the most clicks in return, but voting for all three helps. Just like it is here in Chicago – vote often.  😉
      2. Review this site on Alexa.
      3. Link to us from your site or other places / forums you visit. More links = higher placement on search engines.
      4. If you were going to buy any products or attend any security training, use our affiliate links or simply tell them we sent you. It helps them continue to sponsor the Free Monthly Giveaways… and we all love those don’t we?

For you lurkers out there…
      I know the info on this site has helped you. Why not become a member? Ask anyone, we don’t inundate you with spam. In fact, it’s rare that we send email blasts more than once every other month if that much. And we don’t sell our email list.

For those members who have not posted…
      What are you waiting for? There are $1000s in prizes just waiting to be taken! Introduce yourself, tell us how you found the site, what you think of it, thoughts on new things you’d like to see. Hell… tell us we suck! You took the time to register, at least post once. We should always strive to have more topics (not posts) than members.

Thanks in advance for any and all efforts,
      Don

Anonymous
      Participant

As with most forums, we have a lot of lurkers.  Sometimes people are afraid to post because they are worried about looking stupid. To that I say “please don’t forget this is the internet and it doesn’t matter!” 

If you have a question or a thought, just post it and don’t worry so much. This is about the only hacker forum that you wont get totally flamed on so you should take advantage of the opportunity!

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

You make a great point. For those lurkers out there who are newbies to security or pen testing, check out some of the posts by other newbies. No matter how simplistic their questions may be, they got respectful and prompt replies from some really smart people.

For those lurkers who are security pros, we could use your expertise as we try to pass on our knowledge to an up and coming group of young IT studs.

Don

tmartin
      Participant

I have been here since the beginning and can assure you that Don won’t spam you or sell you off.

I also encourage lurkers to go for it, take a risk. Or even ask about an issue that you’re having at work. That can start some good discussion.

However, I have to disagree with the statement that “please don’t forget this is the internet and it doesn’t matter!” Yes, it’s okay to look foolish now and then, but the internet is forever, and you don’t want anything coming back to haunt you. So keep company names and identifying details out of your posts and questions.

No risk, no reward…

Anonymous
      Participant

We really need to keep getting the word out for this site. Why? Not just because the more active it gets the more interesting it is. Sure that’s cool, but I think there is even a more important reason.  We need to have a place that will review and keep companies that are selling boot camps and CEH material accountable.  Many of these companies are doing a good job, but unfortunately I am hearing about a few that are a rip-off.  Negative things like that can hurt the entire idea of the CEH certification, which is really still in its infancy.  My feeling is, if there is an extremely popular venue on the web that has reviews concerning such things, it will keep vendors on their toes and make sure people are treated correctly and that in turn will help with the image and legitimacy of the CEH.

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

Thanks for the post. But keep in mind, this site is named ethicalhacker.net and not certifiedethicalhacker.net. So, although I agree with you completely, the CEH is just a small part of this site. There are multiple ethical hacking / pen testing certs on the site as well as other cert topics. And, of course, the majority of the site deals with non-cert issues.

OK, I’ll get off my promotional soap box now.

All of the support this site gets from all readers (members and non-members) really does humble me and reminds me that it is in the nature of those in the IT industry to give back.

Thanks to all,
      Don

oyle
      Participant

I’ve been away for a while, but I’m still here. Just in the process of joing Malware Removal University and I put in my signature that I’m a moderator of the CEH study group. I’m trying to put the word out.

Been working on taking down phishing sites. The queue of phish sites has grown, they need all available handlers to work on reducing it.

Been helping an elderly customer in Mississippi with an Excel spreadsheet to help her with distributions of her estate to relatives. Of course, she doesn’t know anything about Excel.

Working on joining ASAP, the (Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals). I need to be able to show my involvement in security-related websites, and a sponsor or two would be a help, as well. Don? Dengar? Negrita?  ;D

I actually have a lot going on!

Anonymous
      Participant

Nice to see you still around Bro!  ;D

talkinelf
      Participant

i have noticed that this topic is 6 months old however dont see much involvement of members in the discussions. i think we need to team up and promote more discussions in the forum and involvement of more members.

linuxstarved
      Participant

I too am guilty of not spending more time in the forums.  We all have “things” going on that tears us away from being here, but spending even a few hours a week will make a big difference. 

The easiest way to get our name out is to be attentive to new posters and keeping the forum moving.  Word of mouth is what will help to propel EH.net to its full potential.

just my 13 pesos

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

Something new to help support EH-Net…

If you haven’t noticed, we now have a new logo on the right-side menu. If you click on the SANS logo and register for one of their event, then they know you came from EH-Net. This will help as we move ever closer to getting SANS to participate in ChicagoCon. ;D

If you forget to use the link, please be sure to tell them, email them or put in their sign-up form that EH-Net sent you. We will soon have a referral code from SANS, but it hasn’t been completely setup yet.

Just in case:
      SANS homepage http://www.sans.org/info/5371
      GCIH http://www.giac.org/info/5386
      GIAC homepage http://www.giac.org/info/5371
      SANSFIRE http://www.sans.org/info/5381
      GCFA http://www.giac.org/info/5391

Thanks in advance,
      Don

oneeyedcarmen
      Participant

I just felt that this thread needed a bump.

I’m relatively new to the security field, and IT in general.  This site as well as LSO, and the forum members of both, have greatly helped in my education. 

Thanks to Don, Negrita, Chris, Craig, BillV, jimbob and everyone else who I continue to look to for their experience and guidance.

Don, I just had a boot-camp with Vigilar (as you may remember) and made sure to let everyone know about your endeavors.

-Brian

Negrita
      Participant

It’s my pleasure oneeyedcarmen.  😀

Michael J. Conway
      Participant

I will say thay you all have been quite kind to a newb. I look forward to becomeing a more productive member as I gain more experience in the IT Security world. Thanks for all the help.

RobMongoose
      Participant

Another bump… 😛

Maybe it would be useful to have some banners for the site that could be embedded elsewhere. Just a lump of HTML that I could graft onto my blog to show a link? I have a link to here anyhow, but a banner would be more eye-catching.

Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Guys and Gals. i am new to the forum but highly impressed by the quantity and quality of the content. Keep it up and I hope to not only learn from you but also do the occasional post myself.

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

Many thanks. It’s always good to hear the positive comments as well as the critical ones.

Happy Holidays,
      Don

gregtampa
      Participant

Its good to see your still around Don!! just stopping in and saying hello.. been a few years since i been here.. alot changed looks good.. lots of traffic keep up the great work!

@don wrote:

Now that we have seen traffic grow, it’s time to start getting the word out there about all of the great work that you guys do and pull more out of the woodworks. There are several ways to help our community grow. Here are just a few:

1. Vote for us using the links at the bottom of the right column. Progenic gives us the most clicks in return, but voting for all three helps. Just like it is here in Chicago – vote often.  😉
      2. Review this site on Alexa.
      3. Link to us from your site or other places / forums you visit. More links = higher placement on search engines.
      4. If you were going to buy any products or attend any security training, use our affiliate links or simply tell them we sent you. It helps them continue to sponsor the Free Monthly Giveaways… and we all love those don’t we?

For you lurkers out there…
      I know the info on this site has helped you. Why not become a member? Ask anyone, we don’t inundate you with spam. In fact, it’s rare that we send email blasts more than once every other month if that much. And we don’t sell our email list.

For those members who have not posted…
      What are you waiting for? There are $1000s in prizes just waiting to be taken! Introduce yourself, tell us how you found the site, what you think of it, thoughts on new things you’d like to see. Hell… tell us we suck! You took the time to register, at least post once. We should always strive to have more topics (not posts) than members.

Thanks in advance for any and all efforts,
      Don

Kev
      Participant

Even just mentioning the site in casual conversation with someone with similar interests can be helpful.  I almost always mention this site to network admins when I am doing a pentest as a place to ask questions and further their knowledge.

jason
      Participant

I think we need a t-shirt. T-shirt design contest perhaps Don?

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

Love the idea of a shirt. T-shirt, not sure. In keeping with the more professional ‘tude of the site and its members, maybe we should go with something like a polo or button down with EH-Net embroidered on it. I have 3 of them made for myself, and those at the last ChicagoCon saw them. Then again, we could do both. How about t-shirts with more professional sayings like:

[align=center:3b2dmf60]I hack for a living. You can, too!
      http://www.ethicalhacker.net
      [/align:3b2dmf60]

What do you think?

Don

jason
      Participant

I’d definitely vote for both.

blackazarro
      Participant

That’s a great idea! I’m always on the net looking for cool hacker/security threads. Polo or button shirts for work and tees for hittin the streets.

Here’s one:

I hack therefore I am.

Kev
      Participant

That’s a good idea Don.  Never dismiss the power of a slogan on a shirt. If you do then read up about how much money those guys made from TAP OUT shirts. Its actually obscene! Its kind of a weird world we live in. We spend countless hours perfecting our hacking skills and 3 average guys come along and put a simple slogan on a shirt playing off the UFC and make more money than just about anyone I know in security, LOL! 
      ???

jason
      Participant

Hrmm how about “We hack so that others may not”

RoleReversal
      Participant

I’d definitely go for both.

To counter the usual comments I get when I tell people what I do how about, ‘not all hacking is illegal’? Not sure if that’s good, but something with the same message could be useful.

jason
      Participant

Maybe something like “hacking is not (always) a crime”

RoleReversal
      Participant

That could work, I tried toying with the ‘hacking is not a crime’ but couldn’t get past the fact it is.

I sense a new poll brewing for this one….Don?

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

As I’ve always said, let’s call a spade a spade. Hacking is not a crime. Those that use it for illicit purposes should be called by the correct name… criminals.

No need for a poll.  😉

Don

Joe Simple
      Participant

Hey all,

I’m at uni with a group of around 70 people on this sort of course (combination of Digital Forensics and Ethical Hacking.) I can let everyone here know about the site and the forum if you like?? If not that’s fine too 🙂 Ill wait on any conformation I need before I say anything.

Joe Simple

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

Thanks for spreading the word. EH-Net is free and the content is freely available, so no need for confirmation. It was polite of you to ask.

How did you find us?

Don

Joe Simple
      Participant

Ok, I thought I would just ask before promoting your site to the vast population of my course 😛

I have known about this site for well over 3 years now when my interest in EH first arose but I have only now decided to sign up as a member since I have started my university course. I cant promise ill be of much help to anyone too soon on the ethical hacking advice forums but I promise I will help all I can as soon as my knowledge allows me to 🙂

If I can do anything else to help promote the site please feel free to drop me a message and I will do my best to follow up your requests.

Joe Simple

dynamik
      Participant

@Joe Simple wrote:

Ok, I thought I would just ask before promoting your site to the vast population of my course 😛

Just don’t spam them and give us a bad reputation 😉

labamba
      Participant

I love this site so it would be my pleasure to promote it. It’s awesome to find a place where we can all share ideas and stuff. cheers everyone!

eth3real
      Participant

Don, have there ever been EH Net shirts printed? I’ll be at ShmooCon 2012, and wouldn’t mind sporting an EH Net shirt for the convention. I also found that the local groups I participate in (Linux Users Group, 2600, etc.) have no idea about EH Net. 🙁

If you haven’t had any shirts printed, do you have a high-res logo that I could use to make a shirt (with your permission) for events like these? I’m not an expert designer, but I can make something decent in a hurry. 🙂

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

Nothing has been done, but it is an idea we’ve had on the backburner for a while.

As for designs, it was always in my thought process to have something that fit the tone of the site. There are plenty of Haxor Ts out there, so I was thinking more along the lines of button downs with embroidered EH-Net logos (I personally have 3 of these and wear them at events), lab coats with the same… Then we could always have the mouse pads, coffee mugs, stickers for laptops, etc. with the logo on it as well.

I started an online shop with one of those t-shirt consignment online retailers, but it’s been so long, I don’t think it’s still active.

Guess it’s time to resurrect the idea.

Don

eth3real
      Participant

I agree that the h4x0r genre is not really fitting for us, and would also be looking for something more professional. Let me know what you find, and I would be happy to help design something appropriate. 🙂

YuckTheFankees
      Participant

I’ll be happy to help in any way, plus I wouldnt mind buying some EH merch.  ;D

l33t5h@rk
      Participant

@don wrote:

… stickers for laptops…

D’OH

😛

jsloan1223
      Participant

The only problem I have with button down shirts is that those in the IT realm always seem to put the buttons on the wrong side for us women.

rance
      Participant

LAB COAT LAB COAT LAB COAT!

l33t5h@rk
      Participant

@rance wrote:

This sounds incredible

eth3real
      Participant

I would love to see people in EH Net lab coats, say at CTF competitions at security conferences? Heck yes. 🙂

Solinus
      Participant

@rance wrote:

Now that would be awesome!  I would most assuredly purchase one of them.

Kerry
      MCITP:EA | MCTS(x5) | CEHv7 |MCSA+Sec | MCSE+Sec | Security + | CCNA-V | WCSP | DSCE | PCT |CIW Security Analyst | CSSA

Technology and Systems Consultant
      iCorps Technologies, Inc.

Viewing 43 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2020 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?