Hello World Computer Programming – What Next?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      the_Grinch
      Participant

So based off of the reccomendations on the forum (thanks everyone!) I picked up this book.  It has been awesome so far and I have been breezing through it.  What python book should I look to after this one?  I realize I will be no where near being a pro and looking for some suggestions….

rattis
      Participant

dive into python. you can even read it for free.
      http://diveintopython.org/

or

http://diveintopython3.org/

caissyd
      Participant

@the_Grinch: What do you want to achieve with python programing? Do you want to write simple scripts to handle daily tasks or are you looking at developing applications?

I am asking because we may guide you in a different way, depending on what your goal is…  😉

the_Grinch
      Participant

Thanks I will check out Dive into Python.  My ultimate goal is to do all of the above and ultimately look into exploit development.  I realize Python probably won’t be the end all be all for exploit development, but for now being able to automate tasks and write programs would be awesome!  Thanks again!

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

It’s not out yet, but soon look for:

Coding for Penetration Testers
      Building Better Tools 
      By Jason Andress  &  Ryan Linn

http://www.elsevierdirect.com/ISBN/9781597497299/Coding-for-Penetration-Testers

Don

the_Grinch
      Participant

Don:

Thanks for this, will definitely buy it as soon as it comes out.  Thanks again for all the help everyone!

caissyd
      Participant

My ultimate goal is to do all of the above and ultimately look into exploit development.

@the_Grinch: Starting with playing around with python is a pretty good idea. I suggest you start with the “Penetration Testing with Backtrack” course from Offensive-Security if you want to go for exploit development. They have a nice way of explaining how to write exploits.

Security Tube (http://www.securitytube.net/video/231) has a pretty good (and free!) tutorial on how to exploit buffer overflow.

But to be able to write more complex exploits, look for “Cracking the Perimeter” from Offensive-Security. You will need some basic knowledge of assembly language to succeed. Assembly is much more complex than Python, but it can be learned by humans!  😉

the_Grinch
      Participant

Great information, thanks everyone!  I have a plan of attack, with a set of goals I’d like to accomplish prior to going after OCSP.

1.  Finish my CCNA (ICND2 is the test I need to complete)
      2.  Complete Linux+ (I know a fair amount of linux stuff, but Linux+ with LPIC should get me where I need to be)
      3.  Continuing working on Python and start BASH scripting
      4.  Complete MCITP:SA (I work with Windows servers and would like to do Windows Security, so figure this should be completed).
      5.  Maybe complete MCITP:Virtualization (I work with Hyper-V a lot as well)
      6.  Purchased eCPPT awhile ago, so I will complete that

On top of that, I have a reading list I plan on completing in that time:

Wireshark Network Analysis
      NMAP Network Scanning
      Human Hacking
      Backtrack 4
      Grayhat Hacking 3rd Edition
      Thor’s Microsoft Security Bible (haven’t purchased yet)
      Shell Coder’s Handbook (haven’t purchased yet)
      Metasploint Unleashed (haven’t purchase yet)

I figure I am looking about a year and a half, maybe two years to get where I would like to be before OCSP.  Then I go through in some C/C++ and ASM to rock CTP.  Thanks again!

bigapple
      Participant

If you want to learn exploit development you’re gonna have to learn C eventually, and possibly Assembly. Python will also be useful. But I would suggest reading Gray Hat Python for this.

O_o
      Participant

What exactly did you learn from this book, because i was thinking about getting this book for my birthday and don’t want to get it if it was tooooooo basic!

the_Grinch
      Participant

I didn’t get to complete it just yet as I reviewed TMSB and am finishing my CCNA.  That being said, I read through the first 7 chapters and while a little basic, I think ultimately you will jump into some advanced topics.  Overall, I’d say it is a great introduction to Python and you could probably knock it out in a weekend.  Would make a great birthday gift!  Gotta crawl before you walk…

Sys0pinion
      Participant

You should get the python for the absolute beginner 😮 http://amzn.to/riJDpE

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2020 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?