Hakin9 Magazine (any subscribers here?)

This topic contains 28 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  zeroflaw 9 years, 3 months ago.

• Author
     zeroflaw 
    Participant

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has a subscription to Hakin9 Magazine. I’ve downloaded a free pdf from their site and it looks good so far. I’m thinking about getting a subscription to the printed version, cause I’m not a fan of reading pdf’s. Can anyone tell me if its worth the subscription money? It’s 79.00 USD for 24 months. Doesn’t seem that expensive to me. Any thoughts?

Vedder 
    Participant

I have a subscription. I think it’s a little over priced, but it is a good read.

ethicalhack3r 
    Participant

I’m a recent subscriber. My employer paid for my subscription so I’m not sure what price they paid.

You normal get a cd with some material on, the past 2 months they were wireless security I believe. The magazine content is mixed and varied. Some stuff more technical while other not so.

Overall I think it’s worth having.

j0rDy 
    Participant

i dont have a subscription but the issues i got to see were quite good. the articles are in depth and a lot of different subjects come to pass. i’m not sure if we have a corporate subscription, its worth a check before i subscribe myself…

rvs 
    Participant

Good to have. Just make sure you get the old versions in pdf. They give it for free. Delivery took awhile to get into my mailbox. Good to have and very informative.

BigPrince 
    Participant

Good magazine.  Just make sure if you attempt to use any code from there that you understand it fully.  Either intentionally or unintentionally most scripts listed are wrong, bad variables, etc.  You’ll have to go back through and fix.

mambru 
    Participant

I’ve been a subscriber for 2 years, and I can widely recommend it, it’s worth every penny. Though as BigPrince says, you’ll find errors in the code and other typos, the level of of the articles compensate it.

Anonymous 
    Participant

I subscribe. It is simply the best mas produced IT security magazine out there. It tells way more than the industry rags like Information Security and SC. You can actually learn from Hacki9 how exploits work, etc. Well worth the money IMO.

j0rDy 
    Participant

@rvs wrote:

Good to have. Just make sure you get the old versions in pdf. They give it for free. Delivery took awhile to get into my mailbox. Good to have and very informative.

so, if you subscribe you get access to the complete archive of issues in pdf format?

zeroflaw 
    Participant

Thanks guys, I know enough. I think I will subscribe to Hakin9 soon.

UNIX 
    Participant

@j0rdy wrote:

@rvs wrote:

so, if you subscribe you get access to the complete archive of issues in pdf format?

No, at least not when subscribing to the German issues (which covers different articles as the English issues). I think the same applies for the English version.

You can get older versions from their website or within their newsletters.

j0rDy 
    Participant

i searched the website and couldnt find anything about getting access to the complete archive. you do however have the possibility to buy a pack of issues from the complete archive. or you can buy single issues so if there is anything you would like to read there are plenty possibilities to do so…

UNIX 
    Participant

If you are only interested in particular articles you can always try to see if the author has a website with the article(s) available. Writing an e-mail to the author should work as well in most cases.

hjazz 
    Participant

Hi all,

I’m interested in subscribing to Hakin9, but it’s kinda hard to do that. Is there a subscription form I can fill out or an email I can contact?

Thanks!

j0rDy 
    Participant

hello hjazz and welcome to EH.net!

i guess a mail with some personal info and a question how to subscribe will be sufficient.

UNIX 
    Participant

Hakin9 is currently going through some changes, so you might consider to wait some time before you subscribe.. 😉

jason 
    Participant

From my understanding, the paper edition will be going away and they will be moving to a free, online format.

UNIX 
    Participant

Yes, that’s correct.

hjazz 
    Participant

Thanks for the replies!

I’ll be looking forward to their online editions!

zeroflaw 
    Participant

Oh I guess it’s a good thing that I didn’t subscribe yet 😛

j0rDy 
    Participant

i’m not sure yet if this is a good or a bad development. Will the quality of the articles stay the way they are if the issues become free? how about conference reviews? i think either way it will stay a good addition to the community!

UNIX 
    Participant

Quote from their newsletter:

Hakin9 magazine is from now on a FREE, MONTHLY, ONLINE publication.

Due to a great interest in Hakin9 magazine coming from all over the world we
    decided to go digital and make the magazine free.

All you need to do in order to get a new issues each month is subscribe to our newsletter.

Those of you who are on the list, just need to wait few more weeks!

The first issue will be released on April 30th.

MicroJay 
    Participant

Cool.  Thanks for the update.  Looking forward to the articles.  Just downloaded some from the past that are very interesting!

Ketchup 
    Participant

That’s definitely good news.  Thanks for the update.

j0rDy 
    Participant

great news for the hackers on a budget! I’m sure the quality will stay the same! i cant wait for the first issue!

UNIX 
    Participant

Download May issue of Hakin9 magazine today!

Inside:

* Writing WIN32 shellcode with a C-compiler
        * Flash memory mobile forensic
        * Threat Modeling Basics
        * Pwning Embedded ADSL Routers
        * Firewalls for Beginners

Regulars:

* ID Fraud Expert Says by Julian Evans: Identity Theft Protection Services – a new industry is born
        * Interview with:
          Victor Julien, lead coder for the Open Information Security Foundation
          Ferruh Mavituna, web application penetration tester and security tool developer

Tool reviews: NTFS Mechanic, Active@ Undelete Professional, KonBoot v1.1

[…]

More here.

Jhaddix 
    Participant

Ha! Check out the author for the Ferruh interview 😉

rattis 
    Participant

@jhaddix wrote:

Ha! Check out the author for the Ferruh interview 😉

Never heard of him. Is he supposed to be someone special?  ;D

Seriously though. Nice, looking forward to reading it. (Although I still have to read your column here first).

zeroflaw 
    Participant

Really liked the part about writing win 32 shellcode. Even the firewalls for beginners stuff was interesting.

Reading the rest of the issue now  8)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2019 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?