Got my GCIH, now what?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      robbo1869
      Participant

So I’m 6 months out of graduating school and just passed my GCIH exam. Now I’m wondering what certs should be on the top of my list for me if I’m trying to aspire to be a Cyber Security/Info Sec Professional.

caissyd
      Participant

Congratulations with your GCIH exam!

The answer to your question is: “It depends”!

What do you want to do? Pentester, forensic investigator, Security Architect, manager, etc?

Based on your answer, we will be able to help you better.

robbo1869
      Participant

Maybe something along the lines of a cyber security analyst. If that makes sense.

caissyd
      Participant

Maybe something along the lines of a cyber security analyst. If that makes sense.

In this case, try a little bit of everything and see what interests you the most.

I suggest you go for CEH. It is still “general” and it will complete your GCIH.

What other experience do you have?

tturner
      Participant

I’d honestly go with a GCIA way before CEH if your goal is doing defensive security work, incident handling, etc. You’ll find the ability to decipher packets and really understand whats going on invaluable in investigating potential incidents. Oh and bit masking is lots of fun. Really.

robbo1869
      Participant

I don’t really have much experience other than 4 years of college with 2 Cyber Security related degrees. Other than that about 8 months of security related work.

Joshsevo
      Participant

What did you need to do for the test?  Just answer some questions or was there other parts of the test such as for the CCE exam there is a written and then 3 other parts of the tests that involve a CD, HDD, Floppy.

idr0p
      Participant

I will second that go for the GCIA or CCNA its good to have a good understanding of base technologies such as TCP/IP and FW configuration.

dynamik
      Participant

Another +1 for the GCIA.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2021 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?