Good news!

Viewing 59 reply threads
  • Author
      Joshsevo
      Participant

I have some great news and wanted to let you guys all know since you guys have been nothing but great at helping me out with questions that I have about certain topics.

I’ve gotten a job.

cs Manager and they called me back this morning and offered me the job.

So now I  need to pack up my family and move across country from Colorado to VA.  Sucks cause I have no family in VA so it will be just me and my wife and son.

Anyways, Thanks for eveyrthing guys.  I will still be on here just as much as I am now.

Again, Thank you, Thank you EH.net members.

MaXe
      Participant

Congratulations with your new job Joshsevo!  😉

Triban
      Participant

Excellent news Josh!  Congrats!  The East coast ain’t so bad and we have some decent Sec Con activity here.  You will also be knee deep in the hub of the East Coast InfoSec community.  There are some smart and cool folks out here.  Keep us posted!!

YuckTheFankees
      Participant

Great job…for my knowledge because I hope to break into the field..what kind of work experience do you have?

Joshsevo
      Participant

Thanks guys.  For sure.  I have been working at a local Computer Forensics company for the past 1.5 yrs.  It’s been an unpaid job and I volunteer my time there as much as I can to get into the field.  That’s it.

The unpaid Forensics job may be looking for a new intern now if anyone is interested.  You have to be able to be ready to look at CP though cause he does a lot of it.

YuckTheFankees
      Participant

what part of colorado? I’m in the Denver area.

Joshsevo
      Participant

He’s on I25 and Colorado Blvd behind D&B.  I knew you were in Denver as you and I have spoken on the phone…remember?

YuckTheFankees
      Participant

Oh damn lol Wow my memory sucks, yeah I remember now. How much knowledge did you have of computer forensics before you started?

Also..what kind of work did you do for them?

cd1zz
      Participant

Nice work Josh!

BillV
      Participant

Cool man congrats! Glad to hear you’ve landed something you’ve been looking for.

Joshsevo
      Participant

@YuckTheFankees wrote:

Oh damn lol Wow my memory sucks, yeah I remember now. How much knowledge did you have of computer forensics before you started?

Also..what kind of work did you do for them?

Entry level computer forensics stuff.  Bookmarking contraband, imaging HDD’s Analysing thumbs drives, HDD’s. Pretty much the entire scope of Forensics he let’s you do under his supervision. You will have to go to court with him and watch him testify and go to grand jury…etc 

All unpaid though.  

It’s a great opportunity and I wish I had spent more time with him and the job.  he’s a great guy, talks like me ( I swear a lot…I’m a sailor through and through,…lol)

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

Well done and thanks for sharing. Very happy our community was helpful in getting you where you wanted to be (career wise). As for the location, the others are right. Lots of security folks in that area.

Don

YuckTheFankees
      Participant

Josh,

That sounds pretty awesome and I don’t need to get paid, just the experience is good enough for me. Is there any way to put my name in with him?

hayabusa
      Participant

Congrats, Josh!

lorddicranius
      Participant

Gratz, nice work!

r2s
      Participant

Well played boss 🙂

Glad to see things in motion with you! VA, MD, DC is definitely a good place to be for security jobs.

Dark_Knight
      Participant

Well played Sir, well played !!!!!! Epic congratz…….

Joshsevo
      Participant

I am so happy I landed this job.  It literally is my dream job.  Doing computer forensics for a Govt company like the CIA,NSA, DEA etc…

This is such an awesome opportunity for me that as soon as they offered me the job I accpeted it.  It’s a no brainer.

Besides I’ve lived in VA while in the Navy in Norfolk and I enjoyed my time there.

UNIX
      Participant

Congrats, Joshsevo!

Joshsevo
      Participant

well this is now on hold for the time being for a few reasons.

I my Secret clearance went inactive 6 days ago on Nov 30th.  Since it’s been 5 yrs since I got out and supposedly they go inactive after 5 yrs.  So I need a new clearance now.

Which requires me to get a background check and I am slightly worried about this, so give me your opinion on this.

Smoked weed a few times between 96-99.  All of this has been disclosed to the Navy prior to joining and then also prior to my getting my secret clearance.  So the last time I smoked it was in early 99′.  Got a few small misdemeanors on my record.  All for missing court for speeding tickets, which they issued a bench warrant.  These were in 1999/2000.

So what do you guys think?  Yay or Ney that I will get approved. I only need a Secret to get this job.

Dark_Knight
      Participant

Maybe it’s just me, but I would edit the post……

BillV
      Participant

I don’t have any personal experience with clearances but if memory serves correct you should be okay on the weed/drugs thing (has to be beyond 3 years since your last use – and you had to have smoked more than 11 times).

Not sure on the driving record and warrant but would imagine it was long enough ago that it’s not a big deal. I assume you’ve taken care of them?

Joshsevo
      Participant

Oh ya, everything was taken care of long long long time ago.  When I was 18 and I’m what 32 now.

Will edit in a bit

I was a young kid that had a 360 Hp muscle car as his first car and I fooled around.

It’s funny now as I am a better driver with a 900 hp car now.  lol. I got bad habits from my dad, Mr. Leadfoot

dzap
      Participant

Congratulations on the job offer!! 

I haven’t been through the security clearance process yet so can’t offer any advice there. 

As for living in the DC area, like everybody said, it is the BEST place for any IT work, especially in security.  The other piece of advice I would offer you is to find a place to live (maybe start renting) close to your place of work.  Springfield is close enough to Lorton and if you ever end up working in DC or anywhere that is metro accessible, you have the metro in Springfield.  Driving on 95 to get to work is no joke.  Not only is it a horrible commute, but in the worst of cases it can cost you your life due to the superb and polite drivers we have here in the DC area.

Triban
      Participant

That is the case for 95 through most of the North East corridor 😀  here in CT it is insane, merging apparently is like learning a 2nd language as the wonderfully intelligent folks try to merge their oversized SUV going 50 into traffic going 80 while drinking their Starbucks double mocha lowfat grande latte with soy milk and talking on their phones.  I had a client in Greenich and it would take me the same amount of time to drive down 684 in NY to get to Greenich, only I was moving the whole. 

But I digress 😀

rance
      Participant

Congrats on the job offer!

If I may inquire, where did they “find” your resume?  I might like to be “found” sometime very soon.  ;D

Joshsevo
      Participant

Ya I have no idea where they found my resume other than the regular sites, monster, Dice, USAjobs, indeed..etc.  We never really spoke about that.

I’ve heard about 95 and already looked at some houses.  Fully plan on renting for a while till I get in and get comfortable with my new settings, pay some bills off.  Get me a sportbike again.

Soak up all the info the Sr forensics guys can give me and learn from the best…..All while completing my Master’s degree.

Anonymous
      Participant

Well done and don’t worry about moving. I was in same situation as you apart from I didn’t have wife and kid. You will be fine I sure you make friends at work in no time.

Good luck and keep us posted 😛

cd1zz
      Participant

Everyone I know with clearance has told me they’re looking for a pattern of behavior in the background check. The worst thing to do is to lie and for them to find out. They want to know if you’re an upstanding citizen now and that you have no skeletons in the closet that you might use for financial gain to take care of some of those skeletons.  For example, if you’re a heavy gambler with huge debts owed to a bookie, you might be more apt to sell a national secret to settle those debts. Probably a bad example but none the less, you get the point.

ziggy_567
      Participant

The secret clearance process is for the most part following paper trails.

They will look at your previous applications, so there are no secrets as far as what you’ve already disclosed. However, when you fill out the forms, read the questions carefully. Most of them will say “within the past 5 years” or something similiar. Answer the questions EXACTLY as they are written. Others will say something similiar to “Have you ever.” This would be the appropriate place to disclose anything not in the past 5 years.

If I remember correctly, you’ll have space to explain the situation on anything relating to arrests and drug use and the like. In that space I would explain that you had already disclosed the information when you first applied for the Secret clearance. That will prompt them to go look at any documentation that was done on the previous background investigation.

Joshsevo
      Participant

After filling everything out and then sitting back and thinking about it I really haven’t done anything major or really minor to not be.

I suppose I have some fun in my car to much and floor it when I shouldn’t so I’ve been busted a few times for excessive speeding.  But my last ticket was 3.5 yrs ago.  No drug arrests. stopped smoking weed when I was 18 so that’s 13 yrs ago roughly.

It’s funny cause the guy I spoke to on the phone said the same thing I heard when I signed up for the navy yrs ago from the recruiter.
      “if it’s not on your record don’t put it down”.

YuckTheFankees
      Participant

Sorry to bring this thread back to life but I have a question about getting a clearance. I heard it can cost the company upwards of 100K to do a full background check, that can’t be true…can it?

lorddicranius
      Participant

I don’t know the exact number, but I’ve always heard they were pretty spendy.  Which is why companies would rather hire people who already have clearances (as seen on job boards).

YuckTheFankees
      Participant

Yeah that’s pretty much what I thought.

Joshsevo
      Participant

I’ve heard it’s anywhere from 30-90K per level of clearance that you need. So I need a secret so it would be like 60K.

It’s exspensive that’s for sure.

Joshsevo
      Participant

Why don;t you look into the FBI’s Infragard.  This will get you an FBI background check.

YuckTheFankees
      Participant

Good idea, do you know if there is any benefit to joining Infragard (probably networking)?

rattis
      Participant

it’s free.

They have a mailing list where they can let you know what is going on in the world of security.

Invites and discounts to some events (they had a meeting in MI recently all day con / siminar type thing)

You get a background check, not a complete one, but a background check by the FBI, which some people have said have helped them in other things that background checks are needed for. (Buddy got his CPL pretty fast, pretty sure the InfraGard membership was part of why, he was told it would be 6 to 8 weeks, got called 2 weeks later to get pick it up).

Joshsevo
      Participant

Networking, was my big thing when you go to the monthly meets but have not been to one yet.  Get your name in the Security crowd here in town.

Triban
      Participant

InfraGard is some interesting stuff.  Went to one meeting so far, but it was hijacked by emergency preparedness due to the Hurricane Irene approaching.  It was still cool though.  The Emergency Response Unit was there with all their heavy gear to show off.  I wish they were a bit more active here, seems like they only have a couple meetings a year and that is about it.  I see more national chapter stuff through the listserve than local.

Joshsevo
      Participant

So since I started this thread a few things have happened.

1. I got a call from Northrop Grumman about some job that I fit perfect for and they offered me the job finally yesterday.  It’s in Annapolis MD as a Cyber Intel Analyst.  Starts off at 64K. I have a few days to accept the offer as they want me out there on March 5th.  .  NG is such a great company to work for and it’s too bad they waited so long to call me.  But I guess it is what it is.

Just updating you guys.

On another note, Ever since I started going back to school for my Master’s degree and I redid my resume to reflect this I have been getting hammered with interviews.  I honestly think I did 20 interviews in Dec alone and I didn’t apply at the companies that Interviwwed with.  They found me online.

hayabusa
      Participant

Can’t ever complain when you’re on everyone’s callback list.  😉

Congrats, good luck with your choices, and let us know when it’s all settled.

YuckTheFankees
      Participant

I’m glad to hear everything is working out. Hearing about companies coming after you once you put the Master degree down on your resume, definitely makes me want to continue my education.

SephStorm
      Participant

How interesting indeed, good luck with everything!

Joshsevo
      Participant

I just got word that I passed the clearance for the company and start in 3 weeks.

dynamik
      Participant

Awesome, congratulations!

Darktaurus
      Participant

@Joshsevo wrote:

I just got word that I passed the clearance for the DEA and start in 3 weeks.

Congrats! That is pretty sweet after all your hard work.  Maybe I should go back for my Masters….:)

Joshsevo
      Participant

Well it’s time.  Got my car packed with my stuff for a few months, spending time with my wife and son the night before I leave for my new job.

Should be a resident of Northern VA by Saturday afternoon.  Start on Monday.

hayabusa
      Participant

Again, congrats!  Enjoy that family time before you leave, too.  I’m sure they’re a big part of your motivation.

YuckTheFankees
      Participant

Have a safe trip and let us know what the job is like.

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

Well done. It’s hard to keep all of your priorities in order in a situation like this. Sounds like you’re doing the best with what you have now. Keep it up, and all of your goals will eventually happen.

If you ever need an ear, we’re all here for you.

Now go get ’em!!!!

Don

dynamik
      Participant

Man, that sounds like a sweet gig, but I’d hate to leave CO and go to WV/MD.

What’s the hold-up on getting your wife and kid out there? Are you just scoping out the area and looking for a new place?

MrTuxracer
      Participant

Congrats! How are things going in your new job ?

Regards.

Joshsevo
      Participant

Things are good.  Got me doing lots of studying.  For the next 6 months to 1 yr.

Travis M. Fritz
      Participant

;D

That is great to hear. I assume you are a bit more settled in now. If you can and don’t mind would you mind giving a brief review of what you are/will be doing?

I am in Northern Virginia as well. If you would like PM me and we can talk about the area offline.

Congrats again man!

– Travis

cyber.spirit
      Participant

Great man congratulations 

Joshsevo
      Participant

It’s been a while, about a year since I started this thread.  Some things are changing now though.  Although working for the DOJ has been fun and I’ve learned a lot I’m moving onto a different agency.  This new job will make me a more complete Security/Forensics/Pen Testing professional.

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

Do tell… or would you then be forced to kill us?

Don

Joshsevo
      Participant

Ha sorry I forgot I brought this back from the dead.  Can’t say much though.  Fun job it seems. Reading over some things again and trying to read between the lines.  It’s mostly a Pen Testing job.  Cool beans!

SephStorm
      Participant

Congrats J!

Viewing 59 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2021 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?