Good hacker movies?

This topic contains 47 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  Securex 3 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
     zeroflaw 
    Participant

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone knows some good movies that involve hacking and maybe some espionage 😛

I’ve seen Hackers and Swordfish. I kinda liked Swordfish and I find Hackers a bit lame but still entertaining.

ZF

apollo 
    Participant

Sneakers (OLD school hacking, great movie)
    Enemy of the State (not hacking as much as spy stuff)

These two are among my favorites.

unsupported 
    Participant

I know this thread only has two replies, but come on!  Who can forget Wargames?!!  That is what started my interest in information security.

Tron
    The Matrix
    Anti-trust
    Johnny Nemonic
    Office Space
    Takedown (no, not really go watch Freedom Downtime instead)
    The Net
    Mission Impossible (I love Ving Rhames’s character)

hayabusa 
    Participant

And not really ‘hacking’ but with regard to online activities and trying to track a criminal:

Untraceable

Good movie.

Data_Raid 
    Participant

The most recent film I watched that had some hacking involved was “Die Hard 4: Live Free or Die Hard” and it was enjoyable, typical Die Hard fashion with plenty of action with some technology thrown into the mix.

I also watched “Firewall” starring Harrison Ford and thought it was entertaining.

Hayabusa, I agree Untraceable was good.  🙂

Here’s a list of “20 best Hacking movies”:
    http://netforbeginners.about.com/od/hacking101/a/hackermovies.htm

Don Donzal 
    Keymaster

Not a movie, but ’24’ has some great stuff.

Don

Ketchup 
    Participant

The last Die Hard movie had some cool stuff.

zeroflaw 
    Participant

Alright! Thanks guys.

I’ll watch Sneakers and Die Hard 4 tonight  8)

Then I’ll check some of the other movies tomorrow when I find time.

I’ve been wanting to watch ’24’ but I always end up watching something else lol.

ZF

n0on3 
    Participant

Don’t know if they may be considered “hackers movies” but if you want to see something that may be familiar, you may check the movies in which nmap appears ( http://nmap.org/movies.html )  8)

Don Donzal 
    Keymaster

Sneakers is a little older, but it is exactly about a small pen testing company long before the phrases ‘pen testing’ or ‘ethical hacking’ came on the scene. They also make use of a red team where each member has a specific skill: a social engineer, an electronics/telecom guy, a computer expert, ex-fed, etc. Good stuff.

Don

rattis 
    Participant

while not out yet, 2 movies that are on my must see list (the only two so far, but I don’t watch movies much any more) this year:
    Tron Legacy (I loved the original Tron)
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (there is a book too).

unsupported 
    Participant

@chrisj wrote:

while not out yet, 2 movies that are on my must see list (the only two so far, but I don’t watch movies much any more) this year:
    Tron Legacy (I loved the original Tron)
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (there is a book too).

Tron Legacy looks awsome!  I cannot wait for it.  The Comicon trailer was just put together by the production company, it is not going to be in the movie.

Chicks with tatoos rock, it looks interesting.  Foreign movie too.

Anonymous 
    Participant

1. War Games – This film perfectly fed off the paranoia of the computerisation of safety critical system and fear of nuclear annihilation. It’s a fun movie and while it looks dated on the surface older folks among us can get a real nostalgia hit for this one too.

2. Sneakers – Another good flick, pen testing Hollywood style.

Jimbob

Triban 
    Participant

Sneaker’s was excellent!  
    Wargames is classic, its like a must see for any geek I think!
    Hackers was, entertaining.  
    Firewall and The Net were also great.  The Net was great for the ID theft aspect.  

As far as TV, Leverage is a great series and Burn Notice is another entertaining one.  Think I like most about Burn Notice is the narration of why he is doing certain things.  Most of it is made up but plays out to look true enough.  Leverage has some great scenes, like when the rewind at the end of the episode to show you some of the hidden tricks they used to pull off the job.

Oh and Sneakers is in the Netflix Instant Queue 😀

j0rDy 
    Participant

There you go: about 50 movies!

http://www.sciencetext.com/forty-years-of-hackers-at-the-movies.html

havent seen sneakers though….lets see if i can find it…

Triban 
    Participant

Nice find j0rDy!  R2D2 has mad hacking skills!! 😀

Ended up watching Sneakers on Saturday afternoon 😀

Anquilas 
    Participant

All of them are mentioned already, but for the record:

– Hackers 1
    – Takedown (aka Hackers 2)
    – Antitrust (aka Hackers 3)
    – Sneakers
    – Wargames

.. are my favorites.
    I always get the urge to do some security stuff after I saw those 🙂 Cost me a lot of nights already lol.

pizza1337 
    Participant

Sneakers is great.
    i am not big fan of hackers, or war games, they are okay.

MicroJay 
    Participant

Sneakers – I’d have to agree.

As for TV…Tiger Team was a neat show.  Too bad it had only a couple of episodes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Team_(TV_series)

rattis 
    Participant

@microjay wrote:

As for TV…Tiger Team was a neat show.  Too bad it had only a couple of episodes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Team_(TV_series)

I have to completely agree with that. It was awesome. I’d like to see A&E actually make it a regular show (according to the wiki page).

I saw both episodes. I liked the car dealership episode more. I think part of the problem though, is getting the clients to sign off on being on the TV and getting a bad rep after having been broken into.

MicroJay 
    Participant

Very true.  Although the companies in the episodes do get major upgrades to their security because of their ‘faults’.  If the businesses take it seriously, I’ll bet that it would be even harder to get in.  Then again…just like the jewelery store, all you need is a receptionist willing to stick USB sticks in without thought.  😛

yatz 
    Participant

Anyone seen Live Free or Die Hard?  Just saw it last weekend.

Anquilas 
    Participant

Ofcourse! Die Hard in combination with cyber stuff = always nice entertainment 😉

COm_BOY 
    Participant

The Italian Job ?

rvs 
    Participant

not a movie but prison break good social eng and some device use to get scylla.

j0rDy 
    Participant

finally got my hands on Sneakers! maybe i will have a spare hour this afternoon to watch it..cant wait!

A25414N 
    Participant

nice info man..

j0rDy 
    Participant

finally got the time to watch Sneakers. Good movie! its an oldie but still very entertaining.

difeq 
    Participant

Wow, I can’t believe people don’t like Wargames or Hackers, those two movies are part of the reason I am in IT to start with.  I love those movies.  Die Hard 4 is also great, I think most of the good ones have been mentioned already.

MatP 
    Participant

Not sure if it really counts, but Inception? I’d say there is a good deal of “hacking” and social engineering involved, though the fact that they are in a dream and technically hacking into a guys brain, it’s a little different I guess.

Anyway, awesome movie!

kriscamaro68 
    Participant

Yes this is an older thread but I think that ‘Catch me if you can’ should be in there. Sure it has Lenerdo de crapio in it but its probably one of the best movies he’s been in. Plus this is old school social engineering and counterfeiting.

rvs 
    Participant

you’ve watch TNT last night eh 😛 For me Michael Scofield of PB is the best!!! Hope Fox would create something like that.

MatP 
    Participant

I agree re: Catch Me if You Can, I was thinking about that the last time I watched it.

Leo is a great actor 😛

Pookie 
    Participant

Hackers was a fun movie
    Sneakers is one of my favorite films, period
    Wargames
    Tron
    Catch Me if You Can was some great social engineering
    Revolution OS was an interesting look into our past

maddy 
    Participant

ITALIAN JOB
    HACKERS
    OPERATION TAKEDOWN
    ANTITRUST

YuckTheFankees 
    Participant

I really want to rent Hackers but I cant find it anywhere. Is my only option to buy it online? And I think catch me if you can is a good social engineering movie. I just wish Leo was played by Megan Fox  ;D

lorddicranius 
    Participant

It’s available via streaming and DVD on Netflix, if you have that.

YuckTheFankees 
    Participant

Ive thought about getting netflixs but I dont have it right now. Thanks for the info, I’ll definitely look for it if I eventually decide to get Netflixs.

n3r 
    Participant

here you can see nmap in movies :
    http://nmap.org/movies.html

Matrix, die hard4…

Anonymous 
    Participant

not really a hacker film per say but

Pirates of Silicon Valley

not sure if you get this program in the USA but the real hussal aimed a performing cons and SE

YuckTheFankees 
    Participant

nice find n3r!

eth3real 
    Participant

Pirates of Silicon Valley is excellent.

Also, if my memory is correct, there was a bit of hacking in Stieg Larsson’s Millenium Trilogy: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl who Played with Fire, and The Girl who Kicked the Hornets Nest. Don’t remember which movies in specific had hacking, but the whole trilogy is great.

TheXero 
    Participant

“one point 0” is a great film to watch, and it reminds me of Windows Vista funny enough 😛

Don Donzal 
    Keymaster

“One Point O” is listed as Paranoia 1.0 on Netflix.

Don

YuckTheFankees 
    Participant

Does anyone know if any hacker related movies are coming out soon or over the next year?

n3r 
    Participant

If you like cyberpunk then you should watch (or read) Ghost in the Shell. And you can read the Sprawl trilogy by William Gibson.

mykhal 
    Participant

In Ascolto – The Listening (2006) is not a bad spy movie (topic: NSA, surveillance, espionage, satellite communication).

Securex 
    Participant

@n3r wrote:

If you like cyberpunk then you should watch (or read) Ghost in the Shell. And you can read the Sprawl trilogy by William Gibson.

+1 for ghost in the shell and sprawl

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2019 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?