GCIH self study recommendations?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      unsupported
      Participant

By self study, I mean SELF STUDY. Not paying $3k for the SANS material.  I mean sitting down, cracking open books, maybe shell out for a CBT or DVD.  Other reading Counter Hack Reloaded and/or by following Ed Skoudis’ around asking him questions until he caves in, do you have any recommendations for self study material?

unsupported
      Participant

Well, I found a great eBay deal on Counter Hack Reloaded by Skoudis for $12.50 ($8.50 and $4 for shipping).  I’m also going to read that NIST IH document.  I think I’ll be well covered for a little while.

vijay2
      Participant

The only recommendation I have “SANS Self Study Materials”

VJ

timmedin
      Participant

You could volunteer to be a facilitator, only costs $700.
      http://www.sans.org/training/volunteer.php

I’ve done it once an I highly recommend it. Best part is you get more face time with the instructor.

vijay2
      Participant

I would second that, I have done it multiple times. Great way to get SANS training at a very low cost and it includes the cert attempt and OnDemand Training materials.

VJ

unsupported
      Participant

I signed up for the work study, but was not picked for the course I wanted.  I guess I could try it for all of the different SANS courses and see if my manager would pay for the $700 and room and board.

But by the time we add that all up he could just pay for the On Demand.  We will see, I just passed C|EH with self-study, so I’ll start reading and then hit him up for some more money for training.

Jhaddix
      Participant

@unsupported wrote:

I signed up for the work study, but was not picked for the course I wanted.  I guess I could try it for all of the different SANS courses and see if my manager would pay for the $700 and room and board.

But by the time we add that all up he could just pay for the On Demand.  We will see, I just passed C|EH with self-study, so I’ll start reading and then hit him up for some more money for training.

Talk to your conference manager and see if instead of the materials for the course you are facilitating, your can have the course you want. Tell them you love the SANS experience but your expertise level is higher than the class you were placed in… see if they can compromise… they’re good people there.

unsupported
      Participant

@Jhaddix wrote:

Talk to your conference manager and see if instead of the materials for the course you are facilitating, your can have the course you want. Tell them you love the SANS experience but your expertise level is higher than the class you were placed in… see if they can compromise… they’re good people there.

D’oh!  I wish I would have known.  I was approved for the GSEC in Orlando, but didn’t go because it was not what I wanted.  I don’t think my manager would support the work study endeavor if I am going with a cross my fingers approach.  Maybe for my next cert? 🙂

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2021 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?