From Dev to InfoSec Part 4: Buffer Overflows Made My Brain Hurt

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Don Donzal 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author
     Rey Bango 
    Participant

EH-Net - Bango - From Dev to InfoSec Part 4: Buffer Overflows Made My Brain Hurt - Arnold!While I’ve written a lot of code in my time, I don’t think I’ve ever firmly appreciated how complex it can be to write secure code. We go about our lives taking for granted that our apps will just work, and hopefully the programmers used the right techniques to not get us in trouble. Recently, I’ve started exploring buffer overflows (BOFs) as part of my Penetration Testing Professional (PTP) course by eLearnSecurity. I had heard the term “buffer overflow” and have actually seen it happen while using an application but never from a security angle. Generally, it appeared as an app crash that was resolved by restarting it, resolving my immediate issue and allowing me to carry on. But I always knew that there was much more happening underneath. This article is my braindump of my deeper exploration in an attempt to make reinforce this new knowledge in my own head. Hopefully it can help you, too.

[See the full article at: From Dev to InfoSec Part 4: Buffer Overflows Made My Brain Hurt]

Don Donzal 
    Keymaster

Ahnud!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Copyright ©2018 Caendra, Inc.

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?