"Free Monthly Giveaways" – Details

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      Don Donzal
      Keymaster

[align=center:dxlfqbby]Details for “Free Monthly Giveaways”[/align:dxlfqbby]

Each month on the 15th, the sponsor and the prize will be announced. The drawing will be held on the last day of each month. The winner will be contacted by PM or email using the information provided during registration. The winner will be contacted before any announcement is made to the community. The winner will then be announced in the forum and most likely in our News Section. We kindly ask that the winner please post a response when the prize is received, so that other members know that this is a legitimate contest. Most prizes are not physically held by us. More often than not, we will send you directly to the sponsor for prize delivery arrangements.

Because of the great prizes and content on this site, we get plenty of visitors. What we want most are new participating members in the forums. We want this site to be THE place to share your security experiences. The winner will be chosen at our discretion based on forum participation and quality of content. You give back to the IT community through this site, and we will reward those efforts.

Clearly measuring the quality of posts is not an exact science. But it is quite easy to tell if someone is padding post stats or truly contributing. The admin features of this forum allow me to easily view all posts for each member. You can quickly see if posts contain short answers or congratulations for one thing or another. Longer posts usually mean that a member took the time to explain the situation and the resolution. That’s where our focus will be… on sharing our experiences and giving back to the IT community. This has always been an asset of individuals in this field.

We will also look at the topic associated with the giveaway. If the giveaway is (this is only an example) Red Hat cert vouchers, someone contributing their experiences with Linux and Red Hat administration will clearly be noticed. Anyone posting topics like, “Gee, I really would like to win this” will also be noticed, but for the wrong reasons.

Bottom line is that we want to reward those who deserve it and not just because their name was pulled from a hat.

Not redeemable for cash. No exchange. Prizes must be claimed 60 days from notification. Free S&H in the continental US for prizes delivered directly from us under 1 pound. Winner is responsible for all other associated S&H charges. Prizes being delivered directly from 3rd parties follow their rules. We are not responsible for replacing lost prizes. Legal details can change without notice. Employees of The Digital Construction Company are not eligible.

Don

Negrita
      Participant

I remember reading somewhere, (either here or at CSP) that after winning you have to wait for at least 12 months to rejoin the pool of eligible contestants.

Is this rule still valid? If not, how long does a winner have to wait before being an eligible contestant again?

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

Negrita,

You are correct. This is a rule as stated on CSP Mag, but I’m torn on whether to keep it as a hardened rule. Here are my thoughts:

I want to keep it as an un-written rule of the competition. We will still use it as a tie-breaker, but if we have someone who clearly deserves to be rewarded, and no one else puts in the effort to give back to the community, so be it. But as this site grows in membership and participation, we are starting to see that it is much easier to select top contributors without choosing a previous winner.

As a previous winner yourself, do you think it’s important to include?

Always looking for feedback,
      Don

Hug_It
      Participant

I don’t have a problem with being out of the competition for 12 months although I will admit getting motivated by prizes. Before winning I tried to evaluate everything I posted to make sure it had value and I wasn’t just trying to fill the board crap so I don’t see any harm in keeping it open either. I’m seeing more and more talented contributors lately so hopefully it won’t be an issue.

Negrita
      Participant

I joined CSP before I knew that I could win prizes there and I joined this site here when the registration page was one of the only pages on the site (I think the layout was green then).

I’ve never posted to win any prizes, and I’ve never checked the content of my posts for quality. I still continue to contribute to both sites, even though I know that I’ve already won one of the prizes and will continue to do so in the future. Winning the prize was like an added bonus to me and hopefully I’ll use it as a career enhancing stepping stone.

I feel like one of the community both here and at CSP, and while I realise that there will be more eligible members to win the prizes in the future, not being able to become eligible again in the future is like being excluded from part of a party. I do agree that winners should be excluded from winning for a certain period of time but not forever.

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

Maybe I wasn’t clear enough. My intention was to include past winners even before the full year expired if there were no other contributors that matched their output.

More inclusive of past winners… not less.

Hope that helps,
      Don

Negrita
      Participant

Ahh… sorry about that.  :-[

Well yes, that’s fine by me.

COm_BOY
      Participant

I want to make one thing clear for me.
      Is this free giveaway offer only for selected Countries people or worldwide ?

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

We’re global, baby!!

Don

Joshsevo
      Participant

This is really cool actually.

spursfan
      Participant

After reading the rules, it’s going to be a while before I can give back to the community! I am retired military with intel experience but not on the security side. I mean we all learned it and lived it, but that was a while ago. Since retirement, I’ve just been on the Windows Sys Admin side of the network and working my way back to security (slowly).

MaXe
      Participant

I think it’s fair enough that once you’ve won you’re not included in the main pool of potential winners for around ~12 months. After all, it would be unfair it the same person or same 3 persons kept winning every month. It’s more fair when you know okay the other have won recently, I have a better chance of winning  🙂 (Just like I don’t expect to win anything for quite some time.)

dynamik
      Participant

@Carlos Garza wrote:

After reading the rules, it’s going to be a while before I can give back to the community! I am retired military with intel experience but not on the security side. I mean we all learned it and lived it, but that was a while ago. Since retirement, I’ve just been on the Windows Sys Admin side of the network and working my way back to security (slowly).

You can “give back” by asking good questions and participating in discussions. If you look at previous winners, you’ll see they have been people who are experts and have been active in the forums for years, newbies with a handful of posts, and everyone in between.

impelse
      Participant

Don, you answered all my questions about the prizes. Also I like this sentence from you, lol

“Gee, I really would like to win this” will also be noticed, but for the wrong reasons.

Lol, for many of us it is difficult to write down a post, but you guys contributed a lot in the way I see the security and where to point.

tylerver
      Participant

And now that I know that me living in Germany doing CyberSecurity with my GI BILL via an American uni will not disqualify me from winning, then maybe three posts a day will do it!

tylerver
      Participant

And as far as giving back, I work for Apple in the on-base stores here in Europe. We help people understand their new computer, and so forth. Two weeks ago, on my own dime, I drove a customer to the Apple store in Munchen to get her iMac fixed and considerable time on the phone with apple care because she didn’t register her computer right away. Does that qualify as helping out in the community. And next month I will be working part time for a program on the military bases called CHILD AND YOUTH SERVICES, working tin the technology lab teaching teenagers other things you can do with computers besides Facebook and amazon.

Triban
      Participant

Well that is pretty good but we are referring to the security community.  Best way to learn here is to get involved.  Getting different perspectives and new eye on things helps evolve the community.  That being said, don’t be offended if you happen to ask a question and no one responds right away.  It could mean a few things…

• The question has been asked about a million times and there is a forum dedicated to it.
      • No one answered because you may not have shown that you researched a bit on your own.
        • Or, we are all super busy that day and don’t always get on the forum regularly 😀
      Jamie.R
      Participant

Yah the thing I love about this site is all the help you get from others its alway help to make new friend in the security industry.

tylerver
      Participant

Well, I am currently in sales and just starting towards my degree in security. So I have been digging forums here and a few other places. But just like you said, this is a great place to read about some of the tips and tricks of the community.

Petticrew
      Participant

Maybe I wasn’t clear enough. My intention was to include past winners even before the full year expired if there were no other contributors that matched their output.

hayabusa
      Participant

In full agreement with the others, don.

I’m all for 12 month delays, as well as including someone a little early, if they truly are the only real contributor. But as has been noted, it’s pretty rare anymore, that at least SOMEONE different isn’t deserving, every month, during that 12 month wait. 😉

UKSecurityGuy
      Participant

A 12 month gap seems fair to me too, considering the price of some of the prizes.

I would probably add an allowed defering period though for the prize. For example – if I was picked to win a course that was unsuitable for my skillset (Advanced Python coding for example) and then the next month a prize arrived that I would really like to do, but I stood no chance of winning it because of a 12 month break, I’d be a little disapointed.

I know you currently work on the “most deserving that can use it” princible, so some kind of scheme where you could defer a prize, but be considered for another prize in the next couple of months if the original prize is not entirely suitable would be great

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2021 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?