Exploit Development For Mere Mortals – FREE online workshop

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      m0wgli
      Participant

This has already been mentioned on the forum before, but I thought it was worth sharing again for those who may have missed the orginal post.

Joe McCray (http://www.linkedin.com/in/joemccray) is “hosting a FREE online workshop on exploit development called “Exploit Development For Mere Mortals” on September 13th, 2012 from 1-3pm EST”.

http://strategicsec.com/2012/08/16/exploit-development-for-mere-mortals/

Credit to aweSEC for orginally bringing this to my attention in the following post:

http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,54/topic,9115.msg51032/#msg51032

sternone
      Participant

Thanks.

Is somebody taping this so we could see it afterwards ?

Jamie.R
      Participant

Thanks for the info does anyone know if it be available after on security tube or something ?

m0wgli
      Participant

With regards to recording, I’ve asked Joe. If I get a response I’ll provide an update.

SJF1978
      Participant

any news on a catch it later recording?

m0wgli
      Participant

@SJF1978 wrote:

any news on a catch it later recording?

No news, although he did tweet today “My slides are always available at: http://www.slideshare.net/joemccray”.

So hopefully the slides for this may make an appearance.

shadowzero
      Participant

Just got notification that the date has been changed to Friday, Sep 14, 2012 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM EDT

dynamik
      Participant

He just said the recording will be made available on YouTube and various other locations approximately 24 hours after the webinar concludes.

m0wgli
      Participant

@ajohnson wrote:

He just said the recording will be made available on YouTube and various other locations approximately 24 hours after the webinar concludes.

You type quicker, was just about to post the same thing.  🙂

Interesting webinar, as always demo gods weren’t kind. Joe said he’s going to post it anyhow in the meantime, although he’s going to do it again for a smoother recording.

dynamik
      Participant

Yea, it’s something I’ll definitely recommend for people asking how to get started in exploit development. It didn’t go beyond an overview of OSCP-level exploit development, but it answered a lot of common questions that would be useful for novices looking to get a jump-start.

It’s too bad he cut out the advanced material due to time constraints; that was mainly what I was looking for. Hopefully he goes through with a separate webinar on that material.

m0wgli
      Participant

For me personally. it was just about right for my level of learning. I was already aware of many of the resources, but still learned some new ones.

@ajohnson wrote:

It didn’t go beyond an overview of OSCP-level exploit development, but it answered a lot of common questions that would be useful for novices looking to get a jump-start.

Would you say that someone who followed all advice given would be sufficiently prepared for the OSCP in terms of exploit development? Or would additional resources be required?

@ajohnson wrote:

It’s too bad he cut out the advanced material due to time constraints; that was mainly what I was looking for. Hopefully he goes through with a separate webinar on that material.

With regards to more advanced material,  if enough people contact him about it he seemed willing to do another webinar on the more advanced topics.

shadowzero
      Participant

The chapters on exploit development in PWB are actually very well done. The material Joe talked about is similar, but not quite in as much detail as the way muts explains it in the course. I was hoping for more on the advanced stuff as well, but otherwise, I thought it was a good webinar. Definitely looking forward to more.

dynamik
      Participant

@m0wgli wrote:

Would you say that someone who followed all advice given would be sufficiently prepared for the OSCP in terms of exploit development? Or would additional resources be required?

I think you’d be sufficiently prepared to start the course. Like Shadowzero said, the course provides some excellent guidance here. However, I’d still recommend supplementing the course with the SecurityTube assembly videos, and the SecurityTube and Corelan overflow tutorials.

sh4d0wmanPP
      Participant

Will watch the slides and video when available since this interest me a lot. I have a basic understanding of the various methods but no real hands on. One thing I always wonder is how to find vulnerable code. Never done much fuzzing and not enough coding experience to spot programming errors in source code.

I know of Corelan and will watch the security tube vids (although I can;t stand the accent). Any other recommendations on the fuzzing / finding vulns side of things?

UNIX
      Participant

Take a look at Fuzzing – Brute Force Vulnerability Discovery. It gives a good introduction into the topic and covers most of the common tools.

dynamik
      Participant
Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2020 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?