Ethical hacker magazine?

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Dranex
      Participant

Hi all – Wasn’t sure where to post this..

Does anyone know of any good quality monthly/quarterly magazines dedicated computer security? Similar to something like PC/Linux format I guess but purely security?

SephStorm
      Participant

Hakin9 is one, it used to be a paper mag, but is now digital only.
      Pen Test Mag is another digital mag.
      And of course you can find 2600 in your local bookstore.

Dranex
      Participant

Many thanks for your help!

Shock
      Participant

@SephStorm wrote:

I would personally stick with 2600.

Hackin9 has taken a beating of late by having a story slip into their mag that was complete and utter gibberish. It’s also worthy to note that both are managed by the same company so I have doubts about the quality of their work with Pen Test mag.

MaXe
      Participant

Don’t forget to read the Phrack ezines too  ;D

m0wgli
      Participant

With regards to hakin9, Attrition recently posted a number of articles on them:

http://attrition.org/errata/charlatan/hakin9/

hackinthebox is another quarterly magazine:

http://magazine.hitb.org/hitb-magazine.html

dynamik
      Participant

@MaXe wrote:

Don’t forget to read the Phrack ezines too  ;D

For the lazy (myself included) 😉

for i in `seq 1 68`; do wget -qO- http://www.phrack.org/archives/tgz/phrack$i.tar.gz | tar xzf -; done
      SephStorm
      Participant

@Shock wrote:

@SephStorm wrote:

Hackin9 has taken a beating of late by having a story slip into their mag that was complete and utter gibberish. It’s also worthy to note that both are managed by the same company so I have doubts about the quality of their work with Pen Test mag.

Interesting. I was unaware of these issues. Of note however, I received a request to write an article some time ago. And the new pricing is outrageous.

shadowzero
      Participant

@SephStorm wrote:

Interesting. I was unaware of these issues. Of note however, I received a request to write an article some time ago. And the new pricing is outrageous.

Here’s the prank: http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2012/q3/1050

rattis
      Participant

There was a lot of discussion about the prank one morning (think Sunday) at Derby Con.

m0wgli
      Participant

@shadowzero wrote:

Here’s the prank: http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2012/q3/1050

Hakin9’s lawyer sent Fyodor a removal demand in response:

http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2012/q4/18

@Fyodor wrote:

“They also want me to write an article (see the solicitation below).  Anyone have good ideas for what I should submit?  Maybe a paper on the Continuously Updating Nmap Technology System. :)”

SephStorm
      Participant

He should send them the exact same DICKS NMAP article. See if they catch it. Honestly, they have no legal standing on the takedown.

S3curityM0nkey
      Participant

@flurtaita wrote:

Now you can adjust your seem thoroughly by implementing distinctive hair styling goods this sort of as curling iron and very hot curlers. Try out out curling your straight hair as the curly fashion provides you a female contact.
      Are you planning to design your hair with the curling iron styling product or service? Then you can go for the medium sized barrel curling iron and you can aspect your hair into many workable sections of a dimensions of or 1 inch thickness. To curl your hair with ease you could begin curling your hair from the entrance of the head. You can curl your total hair in this strategy. To disperse out your hair with new beneficial hunting curls you can comb it frivolously by applying your fingers. For the final touch up and for the very long everyday living of your curls you can implement a hair spray.

This reads a little like an article from Hakin9  😀

hayabusa
      Participant

^GRIN^ bwahahahaha!  😀

Triban
      Participant

heard about all this a couple weeks ago and finally got a chance to read the article, that was brilliant! 

esojzuir
      Participant

@SephStorm wrote:

Regarding pentest magazine:

They seem to be spamming the same way Hakin9 was. I recieved a bunch of emails asking if I was interested on becoming a proof reader. After like the third message I replied yes, just out of curiosity.

Here’s the answer:

============================================

Subject: Re: Proofreader
      To:
      Date: Friday, November 9, 2012, 3:19 PM

Hi,

I’m glad that you are interested. Our proofreaders have the opportunity to learn from articles and are entitled to receive a copy of the issue he/she worked on. Currently, we don’t pay for proofreading. Are you still interested?

Kind regards,
      Krzysztof

============================================

I replied back asking for a free subscription to both magazines in payment. They never replied back.

So beware people, these guys are doing the same crap all over again. and I know that someone is gonna pull the same Hakin9 prank on them. Just imagine the proofreaders they might get. I’ve read some articles and they are ok,  some are just plain crap to fill a magazine and all of them have typos that just crack me up!!!!. Bottom line… it’s the same crappy people with another crappy magazine….

MaXe
      Participant

It’s the same company behind, that runs Hakin9  ;D

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2020 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?