Email testing

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Henry864 3 years, 3 months ago.

• Author
     LT72884 
    Participant

Im trying to test out how to find the bcc names on a email. I sent an email to my self from hotmail.com with names in the bcc list and im trying to see if i can now find out if i can some how get the names from the bcc field.

Is this possible? if so, is it a dificult task or some what simple?

thanks

Matt

hayabusa 
    Participant

I don’t believe its possible, on the receiving end sorry. IMHO, you can only get it from the sending side.

That data is literally stripped off, prior to the send to each of the recipients, on the outbound messages.

Only other way (if you weren’t the sender) would be if you were the mail admin, and could see what messages were sent, etc.

UKSecurityGuy 
    Participant

I was going to reply with the same response as hayabusa – but interestingly enough Wikipedia suggests that some (probably older) systems can leak BCC information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_carbon_copy

In my experience though, typically if you’ve been BCC’d in on something, you can probably find out that you’re the BCC (and not the To) address, but you can’t find out who else has been sent the email, unless (as Hayabusa says) you’re the mail admin, or if you’ve set up a MiTM somewhere to capture all traffic.

LT72884 
    Participant

dang, thats what i was thinking. gmail and hotmail have gotten smarter… sigh**

well, i guess ill find something else to do now. haha.

thanks for the replies. gonna work on my wifes business card and stuff. haha

El33tsamurai 
    Participant

Out of curiosity what is the reason you are trying to figure out the BCC field?

Henry864 
    Participant

We’re fans of this tool because of the various email program display views. It’s always important to know how things will appear for all of your readers and the different programs they use. Email on Acid offers a free version that shows what your email looks like in Gmail and Outlook 2003, plus they take a look at your HTML and let you know if there are any issues. The paid versions offer more inbox examples, more analysis, and check for spam filter triggers. Our newsletter looked great with the free trial test on these two programs, but as we learned from the previous tool, there could be some rendering issues on older email programs.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2019 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?