Elvis Comes Back from Dead to Prove RFID Passports Lack Security

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Fathercat
      Participant

http://gizmodo.com/5057955/elvis-comes-back-from-dead-to-prove-rfid-passports-lack-security

Hackers have discovered techniques to make backups of RFID passports as well as bypass ePassport RFID authentication at airport passport scanners. Their method, which is publicly available, includes software to design custom identities and convinces scanners to accept fully fabricated RFID chips—neither of which trigger any sort of alarm with “security.” And in this clip, Elvis comes back from the dead to scan his passport at an airport to prove it.

From the group responsible:

Regardless how good the intention of the government might have been, the facts are that tested implementations of the ePassports Inspection System are not secure.
      ePassports give us a false sense of security: We are made to believe that they make use more secure. I’m afraid that’s not true: current ePassport implementations don’t add security at all.

But now that the security loopholes have been demonstrated, we can’t possibly keep using ePassports. Err…right guys? [THC Blog via Slashdot]

Was interesting to see Elvis isn’t dead

jason
      Participant

Elvis has re-entered the building! I can’t say that I was even remotely surprised to see this. This is what we get when the folks making high-level technology decisions know approximately squat about the technology.

RoleReversal
      Participant

I’ve read this story in a few places, along with Jason I wasn’t too surprised.

Only unnerving aspect is that the researches didn’t get shot on the spot for being terrorists. Only when our glorious governments know everything about everyone will we truely be safe!

jason
      Participant

Yes. Obviously the inclination toward this sort of seditious behavior is something that should be caught when they are much younger so that it can be corrected with drugs and/or surgery.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2021 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?