DVWA medium dificulty filter evasion question

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      jinwald12
      Participant

hi i am new to web app testing and am practicing with Damn Vulnerable Web App. i am focusing on SQL injection because that seems to be the most common attack vector these days. i was able to handle the easy difficulty setting no problem now i set it to medium and it seems that now it tacks a to the end of the user input to filter out SQL injection. what is the best way to bypass such filters i saw a article on this on http://ha.ckers.org/ but it did not make sense to me. can some one help?

MaXe
      Participant

There are numerous ways to bypass filters. Most of them are encoding, such as hexadicmal or unicode entities. (ie. %XX or %u00XX)

Also, sometimes you can use double-byte characters. Where two characters may not filtered such as ‘? (there’s a special character like this, it only works with mysql_escape_string(), and there’s also some tricks to bypass addslashes too. Google for them!  😉 )

So, these are pretty common, however it also depends on the implementation of the “security”. For example, a pseudo query like this would be insecure: SELECT lolcats FROM hats WHERE (id=$USERINPUT);

This is because the attacker, even if ‘ and ” has a backslash appended, can just end the parentheses and inject his own code like this: ) UNION SELECT 0x41414141 FROM blah and so forth.

There’s a lot of tricks, and a good book to read besides numerous articles you can find on google by searching for “encoding”, “bypass”, etc., is The Web Application Hackers Handbook. It will probably help you a lot  😉

manoj9372
      Participant

I found this for you

http://yehg.net/encoding/

i am not at all good at these ,but i feel it would be handy for u 🙂

jinwald12
      Participant

i found an easier way if it appends a

'

to the beginning naturally make your input

1 UNION SELECT user, password FROM users -- 

so that way it is executed as a query because it automatically apends the open quote at the beginning  at least that works in this particular situation  now the issue i am having with the hard setting is it returns no error message even though it is not blind SQL injection so i am guessing the SQL ORDER BY query is the way to go maybe that will return a error i will keep playing around with it OWASP did a great job with this VM alot of fun stuff

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2021 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?