DoD 8570 Directive Includes CEH in 4 out of 5 CND Categories!

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      gregjack
      Participant

Folks,

It is Official.

The United States of America’s DoD has finally included CEH as part of their 8570 Directive.

Just wanted to let all of you know especially all those professionals who hold the CEH Certification and at some point of time would have doubted the prestigious certification achieved by them by reading some of the comments/allegations written by members who had registered with IT Toolbox just for posting their views against EC-Council or CEH.

The United States of America Department of Defense issued Directive 8570 in 2004 to mandate baseline certifications for all Information Assurance “IA” positions.  In February of 2010, this directive was enhanced to include the Certified Ethical Hacker across its Computer Network Defense Categories “CND”.

The certified ethical hacker covers 4 out of 5 positions in the Computer Network Defense Category.

CEH is a part of:
      •Computer Network Defense Analyst (CND-A)
      •Computer Network Defense Auditor (CND-AU)
      •Computer Network Defense Infrastructure Support (CND-IS)
      •Computer Network Defense Incident Responder (CND-IR)

For more information please visit http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/857001m.pdf

j0rDy
      Participant

good to see they get the recognition. i remember something about another cert with a different name (with the same content) specialized for the us goverment. does this mean ceh is generally accepted? it a little bit “a long way from home” story for me. however, if i got a good offer, i would be there in no time! ;D

unsupported
      Participant

@j0rDy wrote:

good to see they get the recognition. i remember something about another cert with a different name (with the same content) specialized for the us goverment. does this mean ceh is generally accepted? it a little bit “a long way from home” story for me. however, if i got a good offer, i would be there in no time! ;D

There is the CNDA (Certified Network Defense Architect – http://www.eccouncil.org/certification/certified_network_defense_architect.aspx) which is available to government employee only.  The difference with DoD8570.1 is that it is a guideline for government employees and individuals working under government contracts.

I’m sure we will slowly see the CEH recertification/certification maintenance, like CompTIA, ISC2, and soon to be GIAC/SANS.

j0rDy
      Participant

ah, i see. thank you for clearing this out!

jason
      Participant

Interesting. The updated summary table is on page 91 of the pdf, if you’re looking.

UNIX
      Participant

@unsupported wrote:

I’m sure we will slowly see the CEH recertification/certification maintenance, like CompTIA, ISC2, and soon to be GIAC/SANS.

You think that current CEHs must then recertify in order to keep their status?

hayabusa
      Participant

I’d be willing to bet we / they will, but I’ll guess we’ll have to wait ‘n’ see.

UNIX
      Participant

I have my CEH exam in about two weeks, but maybe I should postpone it until it’s final. Getting certified now and then maybe recertify soon sounds not that great. Guess I will write EC-Council an e-mail and ask directly at the source.

unsupported
      Participant

I do not claim to have any advance knowledge of the plans for EC-Council or SANS.  I have just seen the trend sweeping across the certification boards.

I would not put any certification plans on hold for what may happen.  Get certified and let the chips fall where they may.

Ketchup
      Participant

We currently maintain our CEH certs via CPEs.  You have to have a minimum of 120 credits per three years to keep the certification.  Alternately, you have to re-certify. 

They have recently gotten more strict with the types of credits and the number of credits given.  I don’t think that they are changing much more, but I am not affiliated with EC Council.

UNIX
      Participant

I am aware of the CPEs, though I thought that there may be another need of recertification process then, if it would come as assumed. However, I really think that this CPE-system is a good way to keep a certificate and like it much more than paying a regular fee or take another exam all three years.

unsupported
      Participant

@Ketchup wrote:

We currently maintain our CEH certs via CPEs.  You have to have a minimum of 120 credits per three years to keep the certification.  Alternately, you have to re-certify.   

They have recently gotten more strict with the types of credits and the number of credits given.  I don’t think that they are changing much more, but I am not affiliated with EC Council.

Man, what was I thinking?  I totally missed that one.. and I’m CEH. 🙂  I should have remembered.  I don’t post a lot of my CPEs for CEH.  I concentrate on my CISSP honestly and CEH eventually gets updated.

BillV
      Participant

Haha, yeah… I was going to say “how many posts have I made about the ECE system?”

The EC-Council recert stuff has been around for a few years now but it was only more recently we nearly finalized everything. CNDA will most likely be phased out as CEH was accepted for 8570.

BillV
      Participant

Odd… the 8570 document was reverted back to the previous version.. Strange…  ???

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2021 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?