DIY USB Keystroke Logger?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      jason
      Participant

I’ve seen plans out there for building a PS2 keystroke logger. Has anyone seen similar plans for a USB version?

MadmanTM
      Participant

you could probably build one with the autorun feature of the usb key and install the software on it.

i doubt its quite concealable.

jason
      Participant

I’m looking for a hardware solution similar to this:

http://www.keyghost.com/USB-Keylogger.htm

Yes, it’s true that these are not very stealthy, but then again, how many people look at the back of their machine frequently?

MadmanTM
      Participant

the problem with hardware keyloggers they are quite expensive, if your target/victim spots it, you lose 250$+

jason
      Participant

Right, hence the desire for a DIY version.

MadmanTM
      Participant

unfortunately, i am not hardcore in electronics, but i look forward to see if you get some detailed schematics on this.

jason
      Participant

I’m wondering if a PS2 to USB adapter would do the trick. I’ll have to give it a try.

Thegmandrive
      Participant

@jason wrote:

I’m wondering if a PS2 to USB adapter would do the trick. I’ll have to give it a try.

Did you ever get this to work? That would be awesome if you did.

jason
      Participant

I did try it, but it didn’t work, however, all adapters are not created equal. It may be that a different adapter than those I had on hand would work properly, so its still worth trying.

UNIX
      Participant

@jason wrote:

I did some serious testing on various devices, some I bought and a few I made myself where I came to the conclusion that some adaptors did work and some not.
      If possible I would not recommend to use any adaptors as I got also some problems with accidently wrong logged stuff, e.g. some characters where missing or where there although not typed.
      Also it would in my opinion lower the stealth a little when the “victim” looks behind his computer and finds a keyboard with an adaptor and with a keylogger plugged in.

UNIX
      Participant

Although the thread is old, but KeeLog offers two tutorials on building yourself a hardware keylogger.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2021 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?