DerbyCon 2.0 – The Reunion

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • Author
      Don Donzal
      Keymaster

DerbyCon 2.0 – The Reunion
      September 27 – 30, 2012
      Louisville, KY

DerbyCon 2.0 – “The Reunion”. This is the place where security professionals from all over the world come to hang out. DerbyCon 2.0 will be held September 27-30th, 2012. DerbyCon 2011 pulled in over 1,100 people with an amazing speaker lineup and a family-like feel. We’ve listened to your feedback and plan on making this conference even better. Our goal is to keep it around the same size and maintain a close-knit conference where we all come together to learn and share ideas.

At DerbyCon 2011, the security community raised over $13,000 for the Hackers for Charity foundation, over double of other conferences. This is just one example of the many amazing things that happened at the conference.

We will be having some announcements on speakers, call for papers, and much more soon. Check back here frequently for more news.

Venue

Hyatt Regency
      320 West Jefferson,
      Louisville, Kentucky 40202 (USA)
      Tel: +1 502 581 1234
      Fax: +1 502 581 0133
      https://resweb.passkey.com/go/derbycon2012

For more info:
      http://www.derbycon.com/

Don

dynamik
      Participant

I panicked a bit because the dates I choose for the hotel reservation showed no availability (I tried to go one day earlier on the 25th), but I think that’s because they lock down the group rate for only Sept 26 – Oct 1. The main Hyatt site still shows availability on the 25th, but the rooms are indeed a bit pricier. I’m confirmed for Sept 26 – Oct 1, and I hope a bunch of you can make it out as well.

Now, who’s down for an EH.net CTF team? Don said he’d provide t-shirts. Right, Don? Right…? 8)

dynamik
      Participant

Tickets go on sale in less than a month: May 4 @ 10:00am. Is anyone else planning on attending?

rattis
      Participant

I’ll be there. I’ll also be down before it starts for bourbon con (bourbon taste testing). There is talk about a cigar con too.. but I’ll be skipping that one.

Also talk of a shooting event if that’s your thing. Group of us from Michigan are talking about tossing together money to get a Derbycon bus

jason
      Participant

I’m planning to be out for it  8)

rattis
      Participant

We should schedule an EH meetup.

dynamik
      Participant

I guess they moved the date and time up; it looks like tickets are on sale now: https://www.derbycon.com/purchase-tickets/

I just purchased mine, and I’m definitely down for bourbon con and an EH meet-up.

jason
      Participant

I’m still debating on whether to take a class or not. Anyone else taking one?

alucian
      Participant

To go or not to go? this is my dilemma 🙂

I have to talk to my CEO (me) and to my CFO (wife) to get approval for the trip.

rdm
      Participant

I’m taking the intro to pen testing class.

dynamik
      Participant

@jason wrote:

I’m still debating on whether to take a class or not. Anyone else taking one?

I’d like to, but I’m going to pass since I’m funding this little adventure myself. If they don’t fill up and they let you add training on later, I may reconsider closer to the event. It definitely looks like some good material.

tturner
      Participant

I’ll be there but doubt I’ll take a class. Gets harder to justify to management since I replace what would otherwise be an RSA or a Black Hat with the trifecta of Shmoo/Def/Derby cons on the basis of cost vs value proposition. Adding even a $1000 training strains that logic a bit. (due to travel costs x 3 instead of just once)

It’s too bad because I’m really interested in 3 of them. Powershell, Wireless, Exploits – oh my! Guess that’s what securitytube.net is for 🙂

jason
      Participant

Yup, its out of pocket for me as well. I did get to go to RSA this year though, so I can’t complain too much.

geekyone
      Participant

I took the Win32 Exploit Boot Camp by Corelan last year and I will say that the instructor and content was excellent.  The only complaint I had about the course was it had too much content for the two sessions.  The course was obviously designed for 4-5 days and cramming it into two sessions didn’t work well but it was still helpful.  The instructor and his assistants were very knowledgeable and helpful but it would have been much better with more time.  My biggest problem with taking the class was I felt I missed a lot of things I wanted to do because of the class.  This year they are having the training before the Con starts so it might be worth it. 

With that said this is a great Con and I recommend it to anyone.  Location is good and prices not bad at all.  Lots of great speakers.  And even the attendees were awesome.  I have one tip, if you are attending bring your own snack food.  Vending machines are basically non-existent and the location isn’t really close to a convenience store.  After 8 or 9 PM your “junk” food and soda options get very limited unless you want to drive somewhere.

jason
      Participant

Thanks for the feedback on the exploit class, that’s one of the ones that I was looking at. I may go for the physical security class instead then, if I end up doing one.

jason
      Participant

I ended up going with the Physical Security Skills for Penetration Testers class.

Btw, if you ‘re going and haven’t booked the hotel, better get on it. I had to call Hyatt to get in at all, and had to pay the non-conference rate for one night. Neither the hotel page link from the Derbycon site nor the regular hotel reservation page were showing availability.

Triban
      Participant

Got my tickets and room booked.  The week before tickets went on sale officially, I had the option for 2 types of room.  The friday they went up, I had an option for 1 type of room at the con cost.  So yeah, good luck with that.  Just need to book my ride.

jason
      Participant

There’s also an Econo Lodge just down the street. I ended up there last year. It’s certainly not the most luxurious place to stay, but it wasn’t a rathole or anything.

Triban
      Participant

Oh so now there is a warning about it being old so I start a new topic then people point back to this one.  Its a circle! 😀 

But yeah DerbyCon is roughly 3 weeks away (greater than 2 less than 3).  Would love to meet up with some of you there and put some faces to names over frosty beverages.  I’ll be down Thursday afternoon and, unfortunately, leaving early Sunday. 

rattis
      Participant

I’m up for a meet up, suggested so earlier. I’ll be there later Friday, and leaving Sunday night. I’d like to be down there earlier, but I’m speaking at GrrCON too.

Triban
      Participant

Cool, maybe something Saturday after the talks, looks like they end a bit earlier for dinner and such before the party.  Friday will be the challenge, starts later and runs through to 10:30, then reboot.

rattis
      Participant

I think Friday is also the Bourbon tasting party. aka Bourbon-con

Triban
      Participant

BTW ISDPodcast announced another 70 tickets being released Friday. 

dynamik
      Participant

I think our group has an extra ticket available at-cost as well, if anyone’s still looking.

pseud0
      Participant

I’m a little late to the game but finally setup my GrrCon travel a couple of weeks ago.  Anyone want to try to and plan an informal EH.net meet and greet at the @night event?

rattis
      Participant

@pseud0 wrote:

I’m a little late to the game but finally setup my GrrCon travel a couple of weeks ago.  Anyone want to try to and plan an informal EH.net meet and greet at the @night event?

for GrrCON? come to my talk, we’ll start there. 😉  8pm Thursday.  Or at night after that.

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

And we still have one ticket left from the Spooky Warfare Hacking Contest.  😉

Don

dynamik
      Participant

I just sent a PM with my contact info to those who said they were attending. If I missed anyone, or if there are some lurkers that want to meet-up as well, please send me a PM.

rattis
      Participant

sorry I missed some of you. Was great meeting the ones I did though.

rance
      Participant

It was hard to find everyone without EH.net shirts. 🙂

We should actually schedule a meet-and-greet for the next one of these instead of the random “we’ll try to get together in the madness” madness…

hayabusa
      Participant

Would’ve loved to attend, as it’s one of the closer con’s to me, but this year scheduling wouldn’t allow.  Maybe next year!

MaXe
      Participant

Gawd, it’s idiots (spammers) like this that ruins communities….. Exactly what do they think they achieve by spamming a hacker board?

BillV
      Participant

@MaXe wrote:

Gawd, it’s idiots (spammers) like this that ruins communities….. Exactly what do they think they achieve by spamming a hacker board?

annoying seo promoting those burberry coats links

hayabusa
      Participant

Maybe Anonymous should start attacking the mass spammers. The world would be a better place! 

m0wgli
      Participant

For those who may not have seen it already, Irongeek (Adrian Crenshaw) has the videos for DerbyCon 2.0 over on his site:

http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=videos/derbycon2/mainlist

Theres still more to come I believe, but it’s pretty impressive how many have gone up already.

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2021 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?