cracking wpa2 – how to start from bottom of wordlist

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      hurtl0cker
      Participant

I have been trying to crack WPA using aircrack-ng dictionary based attack. I have a huge word list and I’d like to know if there is a way to start from bottom of the wordlist, like starting with last word in file to the first. Is there any tool or technique that will let me create a copy of the same dictionary but in reverse order.
      (And I do own the access point I am trying to gain access into. This question is just out of curiosity because I couldn’t finish entire dictionary in one go, it stopped at around 90%, it’d be better to start from bottom).

caissyd
      Participant

You can always cut your wordlist, keep only the last 10% and start a fresh cracking session.

Also, it would probably be easier to invert your wordlist using a small python script. Let me know if you need help on this.

rattis
      Participant

Some tools let you resume failed or interupted attacks. Depending if your word list is sorted or not already, then you might be able to do a sort -r.

dynamik
      Participant

tac wordlist.txt > wordlist-reversed.txt

You could also use tail -n with the number of lines from the end of the file you want to include.

caissyd
      Participant

You’re kidding me?

tac is the reverse of cat. How clever!
      Thanks ajohnson

lorddicranius
      Participant

tac – that’s awesome!

I wonder if there are other commands that do things “backwards”. ‘bottom’ instead of ‘top’ maybe? Although I don’t see much of a benefit in that one hah

hurtl0cker
      Participant

Thanks for all the answers.
      Tac worked like charm!!
      I ended up writing a small python script that could invert the word list. ‘split’ does a good job in breaking down a large dictionary into small chunks.

m0wgli
      Participant

@H1t M0nk3y wrote:

tac is the reverse of cat. How clever!

Agreed. In a similiar vein, I like how the less command can be remembered (less > more): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Less_%28Unix%29 I’ve always remembered it because of this.

@lorddicranius wrote:

I wonder if there are other commands that do things “backwards”. ‘bottom’ instead of ‘top’ maybe? Although I don’t see much of a benefit in that one hah

In terms of doing things backwards there is the rev command, for top there is the head command, and for bottom there is the tail command (as already mentioned by ajohnson).

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2021 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?