Contributing to the Community

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      timmedin
      Participant

Besides the obvious contributing to EH.net, what are some ways that you guys contribute?

I believe that one of the best ways to learn is to teach. I also want to contribute to the community from which I have gleaned so much. I’m looking for some input and I thought it may benefit others and the community in general.

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

Good question. You could become a contributing member to an open source project, create a project of your own, volunteer your time to non-profits, talk to high school students which can be arranged by contacting local teachers directly, join local security groups or form your own, etc.

Hope that helps,
      Don

Jhaddix
      Participant

@timmedin wrote:

Besides the obvious contributing to EH.net, what are some ways that you guys contribute?

I believe that one of the best ways to learn is to teach. I also want to contribute to the community from which I have gleaned so much. I’m looking for some input and I thought it may benefit others and the community in general.

Hey Tim…

I saw a very good talk on this by kevin jhonson of SANS, he recommended instead of off the bat starting your own project… help with someone elses!

Maybe a talk at Dojosec?

Maybe Submit some videos to theacademypro.com ?

Find a smaller con and co-present?

Whatever  you’re good at i bet theres someone there who can utilize your talents, start emailing people like crazy! bug don! do a review!

One thing that stood out to me when i took Ed skoudis’ class was that you can do research in anything. One of Ed’s big published research was comparing IDS’s. They rounded up a bunch of different versions of metasploit and threw well known exploits at brand name IDS/IPSs, and wrote an expose of which failed some high risk detections (as well as some WELL known ones)… really sometimes its that simple.

One thing i’m gonna do when when i get some free time, (god knows when my kid will give me some 😉 is do a real security lab setup walkthrough. As much as i love Micheal Gregg his book left much to be desired.

just my 2c 😉

Xen
      Participant

One thing that I want to do is to make my own CEH video series and make it available for free. ATM I’m just reading and practicing the stuff but I’m pretty sure that I’ll make my own course in some 2 yrs.
      CEH course ware and CBT nuggets videos are good but leave much to the user. I want to cover all of it and more. 🙂

Jhaddix
      Participant

Sounds also like a similar idea i have had, mine is set on the CEH but more on security in general… great minds think alike!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2021 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?