CISSP Boot Camp at Training Camp worth the extra $$ ???

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      Nefarious
      Participant

I just finished up taking the CEH Boot Camp at Infosec Institute and had a good experience.  So I was all set to sign up for the CISSP boot camp with them, but came across Training Camp’s Offering.  Is their organization and “official” status with (ISC)2 really worth the additional cost over what InfoSec Institute offers?  The price difference was somewhere around $2000.  If this was corporate money, I probably wouldn’t even be asking this question, but it’s my money, so it matters more! 🙂

Thanks in advance.

SephStorm
      Participant

I took ISI’s CEH/CPT as well and I like them, I have also taken TC courses. Both are good, my only gripe with ISI is their prices do not include lodging, which can substantially increase the cost of your training program. I cant really comment on the partner status, but somehow I doubt it will make much of a difference. 🙂

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

I have no issue with ISI, so this is in no way a comment on them or their training. But when I did my CISSP, the difference in going with TC is that, being a partner with ISC2, they get practice tests made up of actual retired questions from past CISSP exams. It gives you a really good look at what will be expected during the real examination process.

Take a look at my review. Although quite old, the process is the same.

Luck, Career Goals and a CISSP Boot Camp

Hope it helps,
      Don

Nefarious
      Participant

I already read your review, don.  Very well done.  I don’t doubt that the program at Training Camp is better (because of the (ISC)2 affiliation), but whether or not it’s $2000 of my own money better.  I find TC course prices a bit excessive regardless, even in non-(ISC)2 courses.

The time difference in when the courses run here in Chicago is negligible, and ISI schedules their courses so that day 7 of the course is the day of the (ISC)2 exam, so there’s no waiting to take it after the course.

I think I’m pretty much already decided, since it’s out of pocket money.  If I was using company money, it would be a no-brainer where I would go .. sigh 🙁

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

Sounds like a wise choice.

Good luck my fellow Chicagoan,
      Don

Nefarious
      Participant

SephStorm,

Just curious, how long did it take to get your results when you submitted your CPT Practical exam?

Thanks

SephStorm
      Participant

Sorry I didnt say this, It took a few weeks if I remember correctly? I did have to contact them.

Nefarious
      Participant

Just a follow up for some unknown reason, but I went ahead and took the CISSP exam on Apr 21, 2012 despite the fact that InfoSec Institute canceled my boot camp just 5 days before it was to start.  I was already studying, but was looking at ISI to put it all together right before the exam. 

Oh well, the test was brutal and I have NO clue how I did on it.  Just waiting for results now.

MaXe
      Participant

I hope you did well on your test Nefarious, and yes the test is brutal, wait till you try OSCE  ;D

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

Have you gotten the results yet?

Fingers crossed,
      Don

Nefarious
      Participant

@don wrote:

Have you gotten the results yet?

Fingers crossed,
      Don

Not yet.  It will be 4 weeks on Saturday, so I know it’s due any time now.  I’m terrified to check my email right now lol.

cd1zz
      Participant

That waiting is TORTURE. Best of luck.

WCNA
      Participant

The waiting is the second hardest part, with the exam being the first. I somehow missed my results (I actually think they got lost in the mail) and had to contact them. If for some reason, you don’t pass, don’t beat yourself up too bad. The test, as you know is brutal. There’s no other word for it. There were many when I took mine who were on their 2nd or third try.

When I walked out of the exam, I had NO idea whether I passed or not and that is unusual for me. I generally have have an idea about how close I came but with the CISSP- nothing.
      Good luck. If you don’t hear from them in a week or so, give them a call.

Nefarious
      Participant

Thanks.  The waiting is nearly as brutal as the exam.  It’s been a month and a day and I still haven’t heard anything.  Technically, I guess they have like 10 more days to let me know, but the good news is, I shouldn’t have to wait more than 10 more days to find out.  I’m fairly certain of the results, but I don’t want to commit to the next exam on the odd chance I passed.  We shall see. shrug

Nefarious
      Participant

Well, today is a good day.  Got the email this morning letting me know that I PASSED!!!!!  ;D

Pretty excited about it 🙂

rattis
      Participant

@Nefarious wrote:

Well, today is a good day.  Got the email this morning letting me know that I PASSED!!!!!  ;D

Pretty excited about it 🙂

Congrats.

And we still don’t know if the boot camp is worth the extra $$. 🙂

Darktaurus
      Participant

Congrats! What’s next for ya?

Nefarious
      Participant

@Agoonie wrote:

Congrats! What’s next for ya?

Certification wise?  Not sure.  I want to start looking into some Cisco training, but not immediately. 

I still need to find a job.  Been unemployed for entirely too long now.

Darktaurus
      Participant

I hear ya.  The market is kind of crazy right now.  Figured I would ask.  Good luck and congrats again to ya.  🙂

Ziptie
      Participant

Congrats man.

Cheers

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

w00t!! Now go do something technical to get your brain back in gear.  😉

Don

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2020 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?