Certification plans for 2013?

Viewing 38 reply threads
  • Author
      UNIX
      Participant

How is everyone progressing? What are your plans for 2013?

Old thread: Certification plans for 2012

termight
      Participant

My Certification plans for 2013 are

1. eCPPT Jan – April
      2. OSCPย  May – Aug
      3. CCIE-Sec (Written) By December

Before that I have to finish with my SPSE (Python)

Ultimate for 2014 CCIE:Sec.

shadowzero
      Participant

OSCE, courtesy of EH ๐Ÿ™‚

dynamik
      Participant

I’ve done GWAPT, OSWP, and OSCP this year. I registered for my GCIA challenge a week ago, so that needs to be taken within four months, and OSCE officially starts on Oct 14.

2013 will be GSE-Written and GSE.

I’m also going try to finish my degree sometime in the spring. However, I also said the same thing in last year’s thread…

@shadowzero wrote:

OSCE, courtesy of EH ๐Ÿ™‚

We’re study partners, btw. I’m not sure if Don told you, but that’s part of the deal ๐Ÿ˜‰

Kidding, of course, but definitely hit me up if you want to bounce ideas around.

Did they make you pass the challenge in order to receive this prize? I just did it a few days ago and noticed it was significantly more difficult than it was a few years ago.

rattis
      Participant

I probably won’t be doing any certs again this year. I’m having a hard enough time keeping up with college course load. I tried the e-Learn Security stuff, but the professional levels was over my head. maybe I’ll go back and do the beginner level when I have time.

shadowzero
      Participant

@ajohnson wrote:

We’re study partners, btw. I’m not sure if Don told you, but that’s part of the deal ๐Ÿ˜‰

Kidding, of course, but definitely hit me up if you want to bounce ideas around.

Did they make you pass the challenge in order to receive this prize? I just did it a few days ago and noticed it was significantly more difficult than it was a few years ago.

I haven’t received the codes from Don yet. I guess I’ll ping him in a few days if I haven’t received it.

I’ve already completed the registration challenge (couldn’t resist). ๐Ÿ™‚ I wouldย  assume you still need to complete the challenge to take the course though. When are you planning on taking it? I probably won’t register until around mid-late January. Got a lot on my plate right now, but I’m definitely looking forward to the course ๐Ÿ™‚

m0wgli
      Participant

So far this year I’ve only done the eCPPT, although I should also have CSTA by the end of the year. After the CSTA, OSCP (thanks to Don & Mutsย  :)) and then the CRT.

azmatt
      Participant

2012 has been very productive and hopefully 2013 is even better. I take my GCIH test later this month (wish me luck) and hope to knock out my Net+ before the end of the year.

My 2013 goals are to prepare for the OSCP. I hope that means a SANS 401 and GSEC at some point (funds and vacation time willing), going through the Ninja Sec course and lab, the Python Security course and of course the CEH just to be able to check the box.

I’m not sure if I’ll be able to get myself to OSCP levels in 2013 but I’m going to try.

tturner
      Participant

• Not sure when the EH-sponsored WiFu class will begin but OSWP soonly (Thanks EH.net!)
      • GXPN next spring at SANS 2013 in Orlando assuming I get facilitator slot. Had to resign from STI program to qualify since they said I had to do all my Golds before I was eligible (4-5 Golds by March unlikely).
      • OSCP Summer/Fall 2013

Somewhere in there I may try to squeeze in Security-Tube SPSE although I’ve been debating going back for some remedial programming courses at my community college as well since my degree was a management degree and my code-fu is pretty weak. Then next Fall I’ll probably do another SANS Va Beach and will be shooting either for the Defending Web Apps course or the new Advanced Web App Pentest course. In the meantime I have access to a crap-ton of SANS OnDemand courses I (work) just purchased to get our non-security staff trained up in security topics. I know several will probably go unused but I’ll be more than happy to pick up the slack, will just have to pay to challenge certs.

Am probably going to wait another year for GSE. I could do the written test now, but my incident response skills have gotten a little rusty and I have some new hires in the next few months that will help me refocus away from the compliance and policy work I’ve been bogged down in lately.

dynamik
      Participant

@shadowzero wrote:

When are you planning on taking it? I probably won’t register until around mid-late January.

I have 60 days of lab time starting in about a week. I’ll hopefully have passed the exam by the time you get going, but feel free to hit me up regardless.

@tturner wrote:

Somewhere in there I may try to squeeze in Security-Tube SPSE although I’ve been debating going back for some remedial programming courses at my community college as well since my degree was a management degree and my code-fu is pretty weak.

Check out http://www.udacity.com/ Their courses will probably cover a lot of what you’re looking for, and they’re mostly (all?) in Python, so that will align with the SPSE nicely as well.

unicityd
      Participant

I’m not sure if I’ll pursue any new certs in 2013.ย  I’m trying for the CISSP in another week.ย  For 2013, I need to decide whether to start grad school or focus on getting a new job.ย  I’d also like to write a book which I can’t do if I start grad school (no time).

Assuming I get a new gig, I may look at the CISA or CISM late in the year.

Triban
      Participant

It depends on what work will pay for.ย  I’ve been wanting to take the FOR610 SANS course and go for GREM.ย  We will see, other options were the GCIH or maybe an architecture type cert like GCFW and take the SEC502 course.ย  Again, all depends on what the company will pay for.

Mika Dinka
      Participant

Hi all,

Depends on my financial status for 2013 and of course, work!

January 2013 – going for another python programming course. Maybe also do the online cloud security cert …

June 2013 – do one SANS cert … GCIH, if I can get into the work-study program.

After June … maybe between July – Dec 2013 – the OSCP.

Have gotten CEH, ECSA … and in the midst of SPSE … juggling between studying for the certs and work and personal stuffs right now …

prats84
      Participant

Hi all,

Same depending on Finances and time..

-January- Python programming (Viewing the Google Class & reading Python for beginners)

-Feb CCIE Sec Written (prepared for v3 but awaiting v4 material from ipexpert)

-SANS 503: Intrusion detection in-depth: (Company sponsored ) Date not confirmed

– OSCP completion… (Long pending since 2011)

-CCIE SEC LAB (Company Sponsored Training)

caissyd
      Participant

For me, I really don’t know. I feel I have enough certs now to pass HR screening. So I want to study for myself, learn stuff for me, not to get a contract.

So I will probably go and finish OSCP and then finish OSCE (I started both a while ago and I feel rusty…).

Anyways, that’s my optimistic goal for 2013.

alucian
      Participant

I’ll try to be modest ๐Ÿ™‚

– GFOR
      – GCFA
      – GREM
      – GCIA
      – GXPN
      – SPSE during the summer

In the q4 probably OSCP ๐Ÿ™‚

You know the saying “Aim For The Stars, If You Fail, You’ll Land On The Moon.” ๐Ÿ™‚

prats84
      Participant

@alucian wrote:

You know the saying “Aim For The Stars, If You Fail, You’ll Land On The Moon.” ๐Ÿ™‚

True that!

UNIX
      Participant

@UNIX wrote:

I’m not sure, but most probably it will be:
      * ECSA/LPT
      * OSCP
      * CEPT
      * OSWP
      * GPEN or OSCE

I’ve achieved all certification goals I had for 2012 (except GPEN). 2013 will be rather calm in terms of certifications:
      * One SANS/GIAC certification, thanks to Don ๐Ÿ™‚
      * If time permits and it becomes available in the next few months in an online format: OSWE

KrisTeason
      Participant

A few I’m aiming for are:
      -MCPD
      -OSWE (If OffSec Releases Their Online Web Expert Course)
      -GPEN/GAWN or GWAPT
      -CPT

dynamik
      Participant

I’ve completed what I set out to for 2012/2013, except for my undergrad degree, which seems to have become an on-going joke at this point. Maybe Spring 2014…

Now I’ve signed up for OffSec’s AWE course at BlackHat. I also have a SANS on-demand course coming to me, and I am leaning towards GXPN.

UNIX
      Participant

AWE and GXPN, sounds great! Be sure to write a review on both, especially of AWE, since reviews are rather rare.

YuckTheFankees
      Participant

Certs for 2013
      *OSCP
      *eCPPT (I here thier web app section is worth it)
      *OSCE
      *AWAE sounds fun if they put an online course out.

Dalobo
      Participant

I take my CEH this Friday.

After that I have 60 hours of lab time at elearnsecurity.com I might take the eCPPT, but since I bought the labs in Jan, I will not have much time to study/practice before the cert would have to be taken. I do not plan to be a full blown pentester, so I am not to worried if I do not pass or get the eCPPT. It is the understanding and basic know how that I want… to go with a CISSP. If I feel I am close to passing or just decide I want it, I will just buy the test to take at a later date. Can’t hurt to have eCPPT on my business card and resume.ย  ๐Ÿ™‚

Later this summer I plan to start on my CISSP. I might not sit for it until early next year though.

Jamie.R
      Participant

If I had the money then I would like to do

OSCP
      eLearn web course

Thing I can do
      ELearn Gold

SephStorm
      Participant

Me personally, my plan is something to the effect of:

CCNA (April)
      GCIH
      CCNA Security

Desired:
      CCSA
      GCED
      QEH
      QSA/LPT

I also am planning to attend school this year, i’m hoping to take a programming course, either in school, or via class. I just found out this weekend there are a few intro to programming courses, though not as many as I would hope.

dynamik
      Participant

@SephStorm wrote:

I also am planning to attend school this year, i’m hoping to take a programming course, either in school, or via class. I just found out this weekend there are a few intro to programming courses, though not as many as I would hope.

Are you going for a degree or do you just want to learn? If you’re not interested in a degree, check out Coursera and/or Udacity.

UNIX
      Participant

OpenSecurityTraining has a couple good classes as well.

m0wgli
      Participant

@ajohnson wrote:

@SephStorm wrote:

Are you going for a degree or do you just want to learn? If you’re not interested in a degree, check out Coursera and/or Udacity.

Depending on what it is you want to learn/achieve theย  MIT Open Courseware may also be useful.

Triban
      Participant

Looks like it will probably be SEC501 for the GCED.ย  Heard the exam is a hoot ๐Ÿ˜€ย  Now we will see if they approve it.

azmatt
      Participant

I didn’t have much interest in the 501 but two months ago I took 401 with Eric Cole and did indeed have a blast. 501 is now on my wish list as well.

dynamik
      Participant

@azmatt wrote:

I didn’t have much interest in the 501 but two months ago I took 401 with Eric Cole and did indeed have a blast. 501 is now on my wish list as well.

I think pretty much any SANS conference is going to be awesome. I was only at the recent Orlando conference over the weekend for an exam, but the energy and enthusiasm was off the charts. I’m definitely rethinking shelling out the money for a live course; the networking opportunities may be more valuable than the core course material.

Also, I have three or four books for 501 because I’ve written some questions for the exam. I thought the 401 material was rudimentary (which is fine if you’re starting out), but the 501 material was pretty solid. It definitely seems like a worthwhile course that has content you can’t scrap together in a few general books.

giveen
      Participant

New here.

Done so far for 2013:
      Security+
      C|EH

Next to be done:
      CHFI (next week)
      ACE (in May)

My college offers a AAS in Information Security and Digital Forensics. Long term goal is to study Python over this summer and go for my OSCP when I have the funds available.

Triban
      Participant

@ajohnson wrote:

@azmatt wrote:

I think pretty much any SANS conference is going to be awesome. I was only at the recent Orlando conference over the weekend for an exam, but the energy and enthusiasm was off the charts. I’m definitely rethinking shelling out the money for a live course; the networking opportunities may be more valuable than the core course material.

Also, I have three or four books for 501 because I’ve written some questions for the exam. I thought the 401 material was rudimentary (which is fine if you’re starting out), but the 501 material was pretty solid. It definitely seems like a worthwhile course that has content you can’t scrap together in a few general books.

Unfortunately can squeeze in the travel this year for it so it is OnDemand for me.ย  Which is fine, I may shoot for a live one next year.ย  Trying to save some travel requests for things like DerbyCon.

SephStorm
      Participant

@ajohnson wrote:

I’m split on education. On one hand many federal GS Jobs will require a degree to even be considered I’ve been determined to be unqualified for gs5 and above… I think i’m being filtered because of the lack of a degree before everything. I’m also considering a future in Cyber LE, and all Special Agent positions require a degree (excluding Army CID).

Outside of that, the biggest desire I have is to gain hands on experience. If I dont get it through school (certificate program), the only option is a Jr. Network Engineer/Admin position, which I can do, assuming I can find one in a decent locale.

n37sh@rk
      Participant

C|EH and CPT in May then im not really sure where ill go next.

UNIX
      Participant

@dynamik wrote:

Now I’ve signed up for OffSec’s AWE course at BlackHat.

Awaiting your review. ๐Ÿ˜‰

dynamik
      Participant

@UNIX wrote:

@dynamik wrote:

My brain still hurts; it hasn’t even been a week. I’m going to wait until after the exam, which is probably going to be at least six weeks out. I ordered about $200 in books to fill in gaps as we went through the course.

hayabusa
      Participant

@dynamik wrote:

@UNIX wrote:

@dynamik wrote:

My brain still hurts; it hasn’t even been a week. I’m going to wait until after the exam, which is probably going to be at least six weeks out. I ordered about $200 in books to fill in gaps as we went through the course.

So……. You’re saying…… You had fun?!? ๐Ÿ˜›

Definitely let us know how it went. Glad you had the opportunity to get out there and take it!

Yababa
      Participant

My certification plans are whenever I feel like doing it. That’s how it should be for everyone else. No one should care about getting labeled certifications dragons, or any of that bullshit. It should be whenever, however, and whatever you need to do.

Viewing 38 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ยฉ2020 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?