CEH = Exam Fee $500 + $100, Will you attempt it?

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • Author
      pentester
      Participant

Bad move, I would say!!! EC Council has hikded CEH fee to $500, and its even worst for those who opt for self study (they are punished for not paying $$$$ for the official training, I guess) as they will have to pay a NON-REFUNDABLE fee of $100 in the name of application processing and if they accept your application then you may go to buy an exam voucher for $500 and if they dont accept you application then you wont get any refunds.

With this commercial setting, will you go and attempt C|EH?

YuckTheFankees
      Participant

I personally wouldn’t pay for it right now. I might go to WGU for their Info Assurance master’s, and they would pay for it 😛

I feel like they need to do something different with this exam. Maybe make it a little harder, add some type of lab, and stop raising the damn price a hundred dollars every year!

Darktaurus
      Participant

Yeah I would not have attempted it if the fees were that high at the time.  I agree that it is a very bad move.  I think they should work on content instead of prices right now.  If people are willing to pay that price, they would rather use the money for an OSCP certification instead. 

Anonymous
      Participant

If I wanted that cert, then I would pay for it. There are similar crimes across the board for all certifications so this doesn’t seem overly outlandish to me.

YuckTheFankees
      Participant

The CEH wishes it could be as sexy as OSCP. haha

Darktaurus
      Participant

@YuckTheFankees wrote:

The CEH wishes it could be as sexy as OSCP. haha

LOL.  OSCP, bringing sexy back.  But seriously, they could get better by just trying to compliment the OSCP.  Teaching more laws, PCI compliance, auditing, etc, to make you more of a complete pentester.  But raising the prices without content is just crazy.  I mean you see what’s happening to Netflix…

YuckTheFankees
      Participant

@Agoonie wrote:

.  I mean you see what’s happening to Netflix…

Exactly! lol

r2s
      Participant

Bad move? Maybe. For our pockets (if you’re not reimbursed by the job), yes, for theirs, no unfortunately.  😀

As long as the CEH has the backing of the DoD as a baseline cert they can definitely get away with the costs. This comment is not made to degrade the certification in any way but rather to the effect of as long as there is a demand, people will pay just about pay anything within reason.

I nabbed CEH v6 earlier this year but if I had to do it again with these prices, I think I would still eventually force myself to do it. At the end of the day, money needs to be made and going back to the 8570, the ROI that comes from covering four out of five CND discipline baseline requirements isn’t half bad at all!*

*This is assuming of course your DoD client doesn’t require a CE and IAT or IAM cert on top of it.

From a private industry standpoint, I definitely agree with the others and I’d most likely spend my money on Offensive Security Training (OSCP/OSCE) and take exams such as the IACRB CPT/CEPT first. I am more of a hands-on guy personally so I have greater respect for technical certifications that force you to prove your skills in a labbing environment.

YuckTheFankees
      Participant

I hope that some point in the future the DoD will stray away from CEH, until changes are made to it. I think the CEH is to security as Network+ is to networking..how many networking jobs require the Network+? None, because its just reading and memorizing..just like CEH.

pentester
      Participant

So most of us would not go for it from our own pocket and would wait for the budget to be allocated and made avaialable out of the employer’s pocket!!! But the question is “Is it really worth it?” is this certification a big forward knowledge gear? or a career bolstering piece? or does it really help you conduct practical pentesting? Well even if the answer is YES for some of us the big negativity that spirals out is this … “they just woke up in the morning and saw owww we have V7 well this is a big milestone … so lets grab some cash … why not just double the fee … wait … not just double it … why they opt for self study when we are already selling it … hmmm that is bad … so all you self stud(y)iers, you bloody hardworking (eh) security pros you need to shed extra $100 on top… and in the end all you get is “C|EH” !!!

Can you see it? No? Just roll a little into recent past and see what was the price? I would say a bad commercial move… and the cert would die under its own weight. Why not they just put “Only For DoD aspirants” tag??  😉

Zer0Byt3
      Participant

BAD MOVE CEH GUYS …. I Ain’t paying from my pocket for sure just for the TooLz Tutorialz.  ;D … make it cheap u dump people so more and more people could join , micro economics 101 get it.  CEH JUST Sounds cool thats all otherwise there is nothing Ultra amazing  about it.

Zer0Byt3
      Participant

and i totally Agree with PENTESTER

YuckTheFankees
      Participant

If we are judging the cert without thinking about how much it cost, I think its worth it. I would pass the cert just to make a lot of HR’s happy, so I can get a damn interview! But dont expect the CEH to change your life lol

the_Grinch
      Participant

I got this cert when they were on v5 and believe me no magical doors opened by having it.  I think most employers said “oh that’s nice” or cared more about my education then the cert itself.  I could see paying the above price if the material was better written.  It seems to me that you do stand to gain more by going to the training instead of self studying.  Most of the reviews I read when people took the course made it seem a lot less like l33t t00lz tutorial and more of a comprehensive review of an actual pen test.

All that being said, for another $200 you could get OCSP and be better off in the long run.  I’ll probably take CHFI just to renew the CEH and please the HR people….

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

The CEH page has been updated recently to reflect the feelings of much of you. Let us know what you think:

http://www.ethicalhacker.net/content/view/35/3/

Don

rattis
      Participant

Personally, I think it’s worth the cost. Out of the certs for “Hacking” it’s probably the best known, and it does have the DOD backing.

I’d like it if it was cheaper, but it would be nice if college was cheaper too. I wonder if the EC-Council saw that a lot of people were doing the self option that didn’t really have the requirement to take the self paced option. Requiring the application fee means you’re probably going to be more serious about it.

As for the cost increase, see my thought above. It stops highschool students from going and taking the exam. To me it’s a from of social control that we’ve seen everywhere. From colleges to high end grocery stores.

Or at least that’s my opinion.

YuckTheFankees
      Participant

I will agree with you on the application fee. I do believe the $100 fee(along with the $500 test) pushes away some people who are not legit about the field, so I’ll give some kudos to EC-Counsil.

p0et
      Participant

I dunno.  It seems pretty bold to increase the exam fee this much and start charging double PLUS an extra $100.  I’ve heard some negative reviews from guys who took the official ec-council CEH course.  Because of that and the expensive in-person courses, I was going to self-study but now I’m slowly backing away after reading the 2yrs of professional security experience required.  I’ve never had an official infosec job before so I doubt I’d qualify and giving them the $100 would just be that, a gift of $100 (it seems).  In short and IMHO, I don’t like it.  :-

YuckTheFankees
      Participant

I think the job experience is rubbish. Hey how about you give us 500 for the test, 100 for an application, and 2 yeas of experience.  mmm what are we the consumers getting out of this, besides a below average certification?  I wish EC could answer that.

pentester
      Participant

I don’t want to say anything bad about the certification itself (I dont recommend to go after it either), but I can’t get to the bottom of this big price raise in fee for the certificaiton. And the excuse that this much fee will thwart non-serious juniors from attempting it does not make any sense, they could have just added extra $100 on top of the old price to do this. But what extra/revolutionary change this certification brings or can bring in one’s information security career? I cannot figure out the justification for this move (which in my opinion is just aimed at looting and then forcing candidates to pay a tip of $100 on top  >:(  ). How can they justify this raise? And please don’t come up with something “It is their certification and they can do whatever they want”, although this can be an answer but does not help in dissolving the impression that this is purely out of their greed and has nothing to do with the quality or value of this certification. Almost all of us do not have any problems with the fee of SANS GPEN or OSCP as we know the quality and value of those certs … but CEH!!! Man com’on! I dont know why but I really want EC-Council to come out on this with some good argument!

Will you attempt this cert even if your employer pays the bill for you?

(My answer is a big NO, I don’t want my employer’s bucks be wasted in the name of a cert like CEH, but if its is priced at around $300 well then may be I will go for this  🙂  ).

Darktaurus
      Participant

@pentester wrote:

I don’t want to say anything bad about the certification itself (I dont recommend to go after it either), but I can’t get to the bottom of this big price raise in fee for the certificaiton. And the excuse that this much fee will thwart non-serious juniors from attempting it does not make any sense, they could have just added extra $100 on top of the old price to do this. But what extra/revolutionary change this certification brings or can bring in one’s information security career? I cannot figure out the justification for this move (which in my opinion is just aimed at looting and then forcing candidates to pay a tip of $100 on top  >:(   ). How can they justify this raise? And please don’t come up with something “It is their certification and they can do whatever they want”, although this can be an answer but does not help in dissolving the impression that this is purely out of their greed and has nothing to do with the quality or value of this certification. Almost all of us do not have any problems with the fee of SANS GPEN or OSCP as we know the quality and value of those certs … but CEH!!! Man com’on! I dont know why but I really want EC-Council to come out on this with some good argument!

Will you attempt this cert even if your employer pays the bill for you?

(My answer is a big NO, I don’t want my employer’s bucks be wasted in the name of a cert like CEH, but if its is priced at around $300 well then may be I will go for this  🙂  ).

Exactly. That says it all.  EC-Council, the floor is yours…

SephStorm
      Participant

My opinion, There was no good reason for the price hike (outside of greed.) ECC doesnt truly care if you are 15 or 60. They are producing a product that gets them recognition. Thats not to totally knock on them, most of the other companies are doing the same thing in one way or another, they just have a product that is generally considered better. (and they treat their members better.)

p0et
      Participant

Glad I’m not the only one who’s thinking this way.  It also kinda rubs me the wrong way that they have now added (what feels like) a penalty to those who attempt to self-study or take an in person course not “authorized” personally by them by charging an extra $100 for the exam.

ziggy_567
      Participant

This practice isn’t new or even unique to the C|EH.

GIAC charges more for an exam if you are not registered for the corresponding course. If you challenge a GIAC exam it will cost you $799. If you take the class it will cost you $549.

I have no plans to take the C|EH, but I’d say they’re just adjusting the price according to the market. That’s their prerogative.

BillV
      Participant

@ziggy_567 wrote:

This practice isn’t new or even unique to the C|EH.

GIAC charges more for an exam if you are not registered for the corresponding course. If you challenge a GIAC exam it will cost you $799. If you take the class it will cost you $549.

I have no plans to take the C|EH, but I’d say they’re just adjusting the price according to the market. That’s their prerogative.

I haven’t had time to read all of the posts here but I’ll try and get to this tonight.

The post above by ziggy_567 pretty much hits it spot on though.

eth3real
      Participant

This is really an odd approach for EC-Council. I didn’t attend a class when I got my CEH, I got the courseware and training videos from another company, because I couldn’t afford to attend a class.

I would imagine that most people who take the exam without taking a class chose this option because they couldn’t afford the class, or their company was not willing to pay for the class. So why would they charge more for people who are trying to save money? Very odd.

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

Or maybe think about it the other way around. If you spend that much money on a course, it’s nice of training companies to give you a break on the cert.  :-

Don

hayabusa
      Participant

don’s right.  While it IS expensive, it’s always good business (unfortunately, for those who don’t want to spend on the class) to discount the exam, when someone has paid the big fees for the course, to training partners. 

Look at it this way…  They could always discount the course, and charge them the same testing fee.  😛

But seriously, it is what it is, and is the way most of the training partners are moving, these days. 

Expensive?  Sure. 

Common practice?  Definitely.

But again, it is what it is…

pentester
      Participant

Hmmmm, so in your opinion EC-Council has simply adjusted the price of their cert as per the market trends!!! Well I tend to disagree.

Current price is doubled + that non-refundable for self study… I really doubt that doubling the price without any significant value addition is a market trend! But still even if we say it is … the question remains, “Will you attempt it with this commercial setting or would you prefer any other cert in the market to spend money on?”

I still say a big NO to CEH, I wonder how many of us out there would say YES 🙂

BillV
      Participant

I’ll keep my personal opinion about the certification off of a public forum but EC-Council is just following suit with other certification governing bodies.

As already mentioned, look at some of the prices of the larger organizations…

SANS/GIAC = $550 (with a $4K+ class), $900 (challenge)
      CISSP = $550/$600
      CISA = $395-$645

CEH = $500 (+$100 self-study)

I believe their main target they are trying to compete with is SANS. It seemed they made this statement when they announced they had surpassed GIAC in the number of certified individuals.

So they really are just following the trend, and demand, for pricing.

Personally, I think it’s more outrageous that SANS charges over $4K for their classes.

hayabusa
      Participant

The pricing for SANS’ stuff is outrageous!  The only reason I went ahead and tested for GPEN was because the test was free, for recent CEH and / or OSCP certified folks…

pentester
      Participant

So it seems nobody wants to become a CEH anymore!!! This is expected and trust me I have seen (and actually advised) many not to go for this certification as the cost does not justify the value it adds to one’s career.

Good luck to you all.

BillV
      Participant

I’d probably disagree with that. While I’m not going to say the CEH was what got me to where I am today, it certainly had it’s part and helped.

For example, in my first IT position earning the CEH helped me get security-related tasks at work. That in turn meant experience. That experience along with a few other certifications intrigued the hiring manager for a different position (a position I was offered, doubling my salary).

I’ve said it before, and I know others have as well, but it’s not just getting the certificate that helps you. It’s what you do with it and how you build upon it. That probably holds true for most of the certifications out there.

hayabusa
      Participant

I agree with BillV. 

CEH may not be OSCP, but it’s not supposed to be.  CEH is a starting point and, just as with ANY cert (including OSCP,) there needs to be constant refreshing and building of your skillset(s).  No certification will cover everything.  But you have to start somewhere, and for many people, CEH is that starting point.

BillV
      Participant

@hayabusa wrote:

CEH may not be OSCP, but it’s not supposed to be.

Despite how it may be marketed… ;D But marketing is a different subject 😉

pentester
      Participant

Well I too did my CEH back when it was V5. But my question is How many of you will attempt this cert provided the current commercial settings? And in my opinion the current cost is not justifiable. Most disturbing part is the way this hike is brought about (doubling the price ??? what a revolutionary world we are living in today!!! )? Its the same old CEH with few addition to its course contents (well every cert adds new material to its existing course contents continuously and they do not suddenly go and double the price). Its the price hike that disturbs me. And in my opinion they are simply acting out of their greed here!!! but the good thing I have seen in my part of the world is … this approach has backfired actually for the EC-Council.

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2020 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?