can any one help me?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      foxecks
      Participant

I just download bt3 on to a live CD, and cant find out how to get my Wifi to work
      I am new to the Linux world and don’t really know were to look I have googled for tutorials for backtrack. 

And cant find what I am looking for, can any one give me an idea on what to do, or were I can look to find out how I can get my Wifi  to work when using backtrack?

KrisTeason
      Participant

You try the wireless assistant present in Backtrack?

foxecks
      Participant

nope i cant find it

KrisTeason
      Participant

Click The K -> Internet – > Wireless Assistant
      Should detect wireless networks for you.

foxecks
      Participant

it says “no usable wireless devices found”

RobMongoose
      Participant

Hi,

I run backtrack from a usb stick. Here’s 3 of the folder full of text files I also have on the key for command references. They’re all things I’ve pulled from various forums and saved for later use.

Hope it helps.

punkrokk
      Participant

What wireless card to you have? The ubiquiti pcmcia card is a great one for backtrack, although it’s an external card, it has way more power.

Clay Briggs
      Participant

I’ve noticed that depending on the age of the laptop, if it is new BT will not always have the driver for your card.  Also, you have to sometimes do a bit of iwconfig work to get things rolling.  Sometimes it is best to try out something like Ubuntu, and download/install all of the tools from backtrack 3 into it.  It gives you experience with Linux, and it helps you understand how to trouble shoot various wifi problems and such associated with different hardware.  I do love my backtrack thumbdrives, but the experience of working with Ubuntu outside of just the testing tools has been most useful in getting a better grasp on BackTrack for me.

BillV
      Participant

@g00d_4sh wrote:

I’ve noticed that depending on the age of the laptop, if it is new BT will not always have the driver for your card.

Or even boot…

I just bought a new laptop last week and have tried about 6 or 7 different Live CD’s that work fine on my other laptop and desktop, but they won’t even boot on this new one 🙁

Clay Briggs
      Participant

Yep, I used to have that problem with BT2.  BT3 had updated drivers that worked on my work lappy though.  My personal laptop is still a bit high end though, and I have had far more luck just installing Ubuntu and compiling the tools on it.

aldoelam
      Participant

backtrack 3 doesn’t automatically turn your network interface on. you have to turn it on by yourself. do these from console:
      1. ifconfig /all (to see all your network interface)
      2. ifconfig eth1 up (to bring eth1 up and running, assuming eth1 is your wifi interface)

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2020 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?