"Breaking In" Pentest Sitcom

This topic contains 58 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  Triban 7 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
     tturner 
    Participant

http://www.thinq.co.uk/2011/3/18/fox-air-penetration-testing-sitcom-show/

I’m just curious to see how badly the technology gets represented. If they do it Burn Notice style with real techniques and tools it could be very interesting. Lots of potential here but I’m predicting lots of #Fail.

lorddicranius 
    Participant

@tturner wrote:

Lots of potential here but I’m predicting lots of #Fail.

+1

Pookie 
    Participant

Like watching Charlie Sheen, you know it will end badly but can’t stop looking

maxpeck 
    Participant

A show like this with a CSI type drama style is one thing – but a goofy comedy?

Did Slater lose a bet or just his mind? OUCH!

WCNA 
    Participant

A comedy about hacking? I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

BillV 
    Participant

Wow, I didn’t realize this was going to be a comedy…

Here’s the link from Fox, there’s a video but I can’t see it from here:

Fox – Breaking In

tturner 
    Participant

Probably the worst part will be the characters in the show that are supposedly “hackers”. I suspect that something like this could help to shape the publics perception of what a hacker or pentester is so has the potential to do a great deal of damage (or good – but that I doubt) to what they perceive us to be. When I hear snippets like

BREAKING IN is an offbeat half-hour workplace comedy about a high-tech security firm that takes extreme – and often questionable – measures to sell their protection services.

it leads me to believe they engage in unethical practices to generate business. If people believe that’s standard practices for pentest firms (and sadly for some it is) that could be very detrimental to our field. I just hope since it’s a comedy people don’t take it too seriously.

j0rDy 
    Participant

so, what did you guys think? i think i need another episode before i can give my judgement, but if they keep doing the 1 ep 1 breakin it will be too shallow and i will probably not finish the first season…

hayabusa 
    Participant

Was told it was semi- (if not really) bad / lame / unrealistic (didn’t necessarily expect more, honestly,) but I missed it.  I might just watch it, solely on the basis that there’s not usually much ELSE on, that catches my eye, anyway.

SephStorm 
    Participant

here here. I would rather watch RED TEAM. It was too bad they canceled that show, it was pretty enlightening.

rattis 
    Participant

I haven’t seen it yet. I was out when it was on, and my tv doesn’t get that channel for some strange reason (over the air with digital converter).

hayabusa 
    Participant

@sephstorm wrote:

here here. I would rather watch RED TEAM. It was too bad they canceled that show, it was pretty enlightening.

Yeah, I only caught one episode of Red Team, bit it seemed pretty interesting.  Was only a couple of episodes from what I’d heard, wasn’t it?

BillV 
    Participant

Yeah, Tiger Team only had 2 episodes but both are available online.

Breaking In was fairly stupid – I don’t think it will last more than a single season.

Triban 
    Participant

If you took the show for what it is, it was not horrible.  I need at least another episode to decide.  Though, I agree that it could certainly give a negative view on REAL sec firms.  Then again, LIGATT seems to do that just as well… hmm wonder if they are backing the producers :-p

Also would you really be as whiny as the main character??  A supposed top notch security firm just offered you a job before you even left college?

Also if that prankster says “And boom goes the dynamite” one more time, I will just turn off the TV and burn it since now I will know that real writing has died and there isn’t an original thought left in Hollywood.

jason 
    Participant

I thought it was pretty funny. Definitely not something to be taken as making any sort of serious statement or any sort of a commentary on the profession. I imagine, due to it being a 30 min comedy and due to Christian Slater being involved (considering his recent track record) it will flop after a few episodes though.

yatz 
    Participant

They have the pilot episode available for streaming one-day after it airs.  I started watching it but the language/innuendo turned me off pretty quickly.  I would probably watch it otherwise for brainless entertainment.  It would be nice to see clean television again… *sigh*.  Not sure if anyone else feels the same way.

BillV 
    Participant

There were a couple of funny lines here and there but that was really about it. From a true/technical perspective it was pretty lacking – but that’s really not the way they are going. And I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the tv show ligatt was talking about.. they probably explain their security assessments the same as in the show “…and then we’ll drop in from your ceiling all mission impossible style, use a remote control helicopter to disable your alarm system, and then take off with your stuff! Cuz that’s how we roll!” I’ll give it one more episode to determine if it’s worth following but I still don’t see it making it beyond a single season at this point unless they make it more entertaining/true (people love reality) or a lot funnier as a comedy.

ziggy_567 
    Participant

I just caught it on hulu.com earlier today….it was a crappy, Hollywood version of the mildly entertaining first episode of Tiger Team from TruTV.

Needless to say….I won’t be following it…

rattis 
    Participant

Finally got to see it. Looking forward to next week’s episode.

hayabusa 
    Participant

I did too, but in my case, hope it gets better, because I wasn’t nearly as impressed as I’d hoped.  Figured if Slater was in it, it’d be more than it was.  Guess we’ll see and time / more episodes will tell…

rattis 
    Participant

Considering the station, and some of the other things they show, and how they jack their real shows for those other things, I had very very low expectations. Some of the stuff got old and was over played. I liked how the one guy got into the main character’s head and had him screw up the job. I didn’t catch it either, and was like what when Slater put his fist through the wall.

It however made me laugh, and I wondered if they’d have more than enough material for 2 shows (all Tiger Team lasted and they modified Tiger Team’s thing for this episode, even stole the bit with the thumb drive from the second episode).

tturner 
    Participant

I’ve relaxed my fears a bit on this since it’s a sitcom. I was entertained. That’s all I ask for. I don’t look for realism in sitcoms. Now put that on Discovery, and then we will have problems.

hayabusa 
    Participant

Yeah.  Solely as a non-EH, I probably would’ve laughed harder at some of the gags.  So guess it wasn’t ‘horrible,’ by that measure…

Pookie 
    Participant

I thought it was ok, got some laughs.  Was not expecting award winning stuff, so I wasn’t disappointed.  Not everything has to be Citizen Kane.

j0rDy 
    Participant

exactly, it was entertaining and not informative so it did a good job as a sitcom. next episode is tomorrow. i am watching it for sure…

ShadowReaper 
    Participant

@sephstorm wrote:

where can i find the episodes of RED TEAM? I googled it but i didn’t find anything. which channel broadcasted them?

hayabusa 
    Participant

TruTV – Episode 1 is streamed there, I think.  You’ll have to dig a bit for Episode 2.

ShadowReaper 
    Participant

Then it’s called Tiger team not Red team

BillV 
    Participant

Both episodes are linked to from Chris’ website:

Lares Consulting

lorddicranius 
    Participant

Just watched ep1 of “Tiger Team” (full ep via TruTV – thanks hayabusa) and the clip of ep2 (thanks for the link BillV) – good stuff!  I wasn’t able to find a full ep2, but I’m going to search a few other sites after I get off work.  Watching the recon, planning, and educating the client is just as good as the attack IMO 🙂

As for “Breaking In,” I have yet to watch that yet, but I’ll be watching it for the comedic value rather than accuracy/factuality.  It seems its more pleasurable that way 😛

ziggy_567 
    Participant

They’re both on youtube.com.

I just watched them last weekend. They’re split into part 1 through 4, but the whole episode is there for both of them.

lorddicranius 
    Participant

Thanks ziggy.

Tip for others searching for ep2 on youtube, append the ep name to your search: karat caper.  The first ep should come up if you just search for the show name.

jsm725 
    Participant

Saw the episode last night. I forced myself to watch the whole thing. I would be surprised if it made it past one more episode. The acting is poor, the dialogue is lame and pretty dirty at some points, and the tech talk is mind numbingly inaccurate. So sad… :'(

rattis 
    Participant

@jsm725 wrote:

Saw the episode last night. I forced myself to watch the whole thing. I would be surprised if it made it past one more episode. The acting is poor, the dialogue is lame and pretty dirty at some points, and the tech talk is mind numbingly inaccurate. So sad… :'(

I have to watch it later. But from the sound of it, it sounds like the few episodes of every other sitcom currently on tv.

lorddicranius 
    Participant
     j0rDy 
    Participant

too bad, i find it quite amusing and a nice add-on to my weekly big bang theory half hour.

oleDB 
    Participant

I think the cancellation was a given, it was marginally funny with a heavy dose of geek humor and weak tech sauce. Whats more shocking to me is the cancellation of HT and Chicago Code. I thought they were good shows.

lorddicranius 
    Participant

I never watched Chicago Code, but my wife liked it.  I’m bummed about Human Target also, and Lie to Me.

rattis 
    Participant

I’m disappointed by Human Target as well. However I think they messed with it to much from season 1 to season 2, and it hurt the show.

Never saw Lie to Me. Was on my list to watch when I got time.

As for Breaking In, part of me will miss it, part of me thinks wow it lasted this long to start with?

SephStorm 
    Participant

I like Leverage.

jason 
    Participant

I like Leverage as well. Looks like its due to start back up in June. Breaking In was pretty amusing, but it had two things going against it. First it had Christian Slater involved, and he seems to have the Sterculius touch as of late. Secondly, it was on Fox. I’ll never forgive Fox for what they did to Firefly, and have absolutely no confidence in them taking any reasonable action in relation to the quality any show, whatever it might happen to be  🙁

BillV 
    Participant

Yes, this is an old thread. But has anyone else seen commercials on Fox announcing the season premiere of Breaking In (re)starting soon? Seems odd comsidering the attempted launch a year ago failed, and it never made it for a full season.

lorddicranius 
    Participant

I saw that.  They brought Megan Mullally onboard for season 2 as well.  I didn’t see any of the season 1 eps, but Megan’s pretty funny.  Still waiting for eps to be posted on Hulu or Netflix (streaming).

Triban 
    Participant

I saw as well, I like they are giving it another shot.  It had some potential and sometimes you need to give more than a single season to try something out.  Hmm, can we thank Anonymous for this? 😀

YuckTheFankees 
    Participant

I’m glad this show is coming back, I personally thought it was pretty funny.

hayabusa 
    Participant

It wasn’t bad… a bit on the cheesy side, but it IS television…  Looking forward to seeing what changes.  (I have season one ripped to dvd)

BillV 
    Participant

Yeah, will be interesting regardless. Whatever article I read said Fox ordered 13 episodes.

hayabusa 
    Participant

IMDB shows the 13 slots / dates, and episode names for the first 5:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1630574/episodes?season=2

jason 
    Participant

Interesting. I’ll give it another shot. At least it was entertaining and did not contain CSI anywhere in the title.

j0rDy 
    Participant

me too, as long as you dont expect heavy “geektalk” and see it as “mindless entertainment” you should be able to enjoy it…

TheXero 
    Participant

I was a bit skeptical about the series when I first heard about it, but I really enjoyed the series and can’t wait for season 2 🙂

The only downside I can see is that I can’t watch it online or on tv here in the UK.

lorddicranius 
    Participant

I started watching “Breaking In” on Hulu this season and I think it’s pretty good.  Definitely not my fave show, but I’ve faved it on Hulu to know when new eps are released.

But it looks like the show is in danger again…

http://www.tv.com/news/fox-pulls-breaking-in-from-its-schedule-cancellation-is-imminent-for-real-this-time-28374/

MaXe 
    Participant

Season 2 is definitely not as awesome as Season 1, it’s like it has lost a lot of its magic :-/ Furthermore, it’s almost as if they don’t want the viewers to keep their hopes up for better episodes, as it seems to be going downwards. It’s less and less about actual jobs they’re going to do, and more and more, about the problems internally at the office which is in my humble opinion, a bit boring in the long run.

On occasion I think it’s fine, but the last couple of episodes if not all of Season 2, has so far been about internal problems at the office instead of some of the great jobs / gigs featured in Season 1.

I hoped for a better (or great) episode a couple of days ago, only to see that they’re having a shorter break :-/ Out with the new boss, in with the old, the new boss’s assistant should be moved to the team imho, that would improve things a bit.

jason 
    Participant

They’ve definitely jumped the shark with the second season. The first season was moderately clever and hackerish, the second is just a stupid office sitcom. It also appears to have indeed been canceled again:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/04/12/breaking-in-canceled-again/128767/

j0rDy 
    Participant

good or not, they lost my attention when odette left the series…

hayabusa 
    Participant

@j0rdy wrote:

good or not, they lost my attention when odette left the series…

++1

The series wasn’t as bad, the first season, but they dumbed it down too much, now, and it’s just doesn’t have enough “broad” appeal.  (Both seriously, and as a play of words, on the female role  😛 )

Triban 
    Participant

And it has been cancelled once again, don’t think it even finished the season.

MaXe 
    Participant

That sucks, at least they could finish second season and make it more hackerish like the first season 🙂

Triban 
    Participant

Well its Fox, it took them 3 cancellations of Family Guy before they realized they had a gold mine.  Maybe if SyFy (I hate writing it like that it seems… wrong…) picked it up and added more geek to it, it might do well.  Maybe they are just not throwing in enough buzz words 😀  They need to use APT or Cyberwar more often.  That is sure to sell it!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2019 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?