Best outlook replacement

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      cyber.spirit
      Participant

Hi there,
      Im new on this great forum but im not new in security world!!
      i writing a book about client security and i have a question about Email client programs as you Microsoft Outlook is not free and im looking for a free and secure program to replace it.  is everybody here who can show me a secure email manager?

I found Mozilla Thunderbird  is it secure?

Thank you.

cyber.spirit
      Participant

No Body wants to help me!!!!!???????????

MaXe
      Participant

@cyber.spirit wrote:

I found Mozilla Thunderbird  is it secure?

Are computers secure?  ;D Or let me narrow it down: Is FireFox secure? (also developed by Mozilla.)

Not 100%, but it’s pretty secure most of the time, so is almost everything else that has developers that knows at least something about security, and the Mozilla organization does quite a good job in most if not all of their products.

@cyber.spirit wrote:

No Body wants to help me!!!!!???????????

You’re on a forum, with users from various time-zones. When you wrote this, I was surfing other websites.

Most of us are not on this website 24/7, and it can easily take a day before you get an answer, sometimes more, depending on the topic and question being asked.

Patience is a virtue  😉

cyber.spirit
      Participant

You are right, i know everything in the world especially in security world is not 100% true or false but let me tell you an example about web browser as i know Google chrome is more secure than Firefox or IE, but those web browsers (Firefox or IE) are not bad so i want some thing like this,

I want an Email Client program with highest level of security As POSSIBLE

cyber.spirit
      Participant

And about my haste:
      You are right again and i’m sooooooooooooooooooo sorry
      but as i mentioned above i writing a book and i’m too busy
      (Not only for my book)

I’m so sorry again

MaXe
      Participant

Well you can use google chrome and gmail, sounds like you’ll feel invulnerable then  ;D I’ve used Mozilla Thunderbird in the past, and I enjoyed using it, as it has a few built-in security features. Check it out  ;D

cyber.spirit
      Participant

OK but Google chrome and gmail are not invulnerable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MaXe
      Participant

@cyber.spirit wrote:

OK but Google chrome and gmail are not invulnerable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never stated that, look at what I wrote  ;D

cyber.spirit
      Participant

I tested IT thankx its not bad but i wanna put in my client security book Do you think its good?

dynamik
      Participant

If that’s what you’re ultimately concerned about, why don’t you just encrypt that information? Something like AxCrypt can encrypt information with a right-click: http://www.axantum.com/axcrypt/Downloads.aspx

You could alternatively make a TrueCrypt container, but that’s a bit more involved.

Just be sure you don’t email the key, which would defeat the purpose. Send it via text or some other out-of-band method.

MaXe
      Participant

@ajohnson wrote:

Send it via text or some other out-of-band method.

Pigeons?  ;D I heard of some crazy students at a university who used them to initiate a 3-way handshake, huuuge response time, but it worked  ;D

cyber.spirit
      Participant

ya its not bad idea but truecrypt is difficult  for beginners

cyber.spirit
      Participant

Thank you for Axcrypt ajohnson
      Its a good tool but im looking for an email client program.
      which support security protocols Like SSL for exapmle and
      other item to make the program secure as possible Axcrypt and
      Truecrypt are very good for File security. Keepass is another freeware
      to secure Info

thanx again

cyber.spirit
      Participant

what about Zimbra Desktop is it good one?

and i found Pegasus Mail From:

http://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/19/articles/7-best-free-email-clients-free-replacement-for-outlook.html

with advanced protection what is your opinion about it?

dbest
      Participant

Would second AXCrypt. It has been good.

cyber.spirit
      Participant

Yes its good but its not an email client program
      you can implement with your mail but as  mentioned over and over i looking for an email client program with highest level of security as possible

lorddicranius
      Participant

I think we need to know what it is you’re trying to achieve; what do you mean by “highest level of security”?  How securely programmed the email app is coded?  Confidentiality/integrity of the local mail store (PST, etc)?  The security of the transmission of the emails from the email app to the server?

MaXe touched on secure programming of each app a bit.  ajohnson touched on securing the local mail store by encrypting it.  Maybe you’re referring to the transmission of email?

During the setup of a web app to connect to web-based mailboxes (speaking from experience configuring Outlook/Thunderbird to connect to a Gmail mailbox), you configure encryption types (SSL/TLS) when sending/receiving mail from the email app to the mail server (Gmail in this case).  I haven’t used Outlook and Exchange in awhile, but I believe there’s security built into the protocol used by Microsoft to transmit mail between the client’s mail app and the Exchange mailbox.

cyber.spirit
      Participant

yes referring to the transmission of email?
      protecting from snnifers

lorddicranius
      Participant

I believe you’ll be using IMAP/SMTP for email transport when using any email app other than Outlook (when using Outlook with Exchange, Microsoft has their own transport protocol) and this depends on the configurations of the mail server more than anything.  I think most email apps allow you to select none/SSL/TLS for encryption options for IMAP/SMTP along with the ports to use, it just depends on what the email server is configured for.

dynamik
      Participant

Even if you communicate with your email server securely, the message will still likely bounce all over the internet unencrypted via SMTP. If protecting the message contents in transit is what you’re ultimately after, you need to find a technology that encrypts the message (or it’s attachment if that’s all you care about) from end-to-end. Your email client is only a small piece of that puzzle.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2021 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?